Peaknit

Friday, August 15, 2008

the kindness of bloggers

Bockstark handspun

This arrived in the mail yesterday - into my grubby little mitts - I squealed. Kris from Bockstark Knits (see her ravelry stash here) and I struck a deal, though I must say - she was clearly on the short end. She agreed to spin me 8oz of Crown Mountain Farms, I merely had to throw in a second roving for her. I know people, it sounds too good to be true. She spun up nearly 900 yards of fingering weight We are The Champions for little old me (I've renamed it Bockstark is THE Champion). Words can't really express my gratitude. Really, I am humbled.

gifts
She also sent me this - pigeonroof studios BFL and some FatCatKnits Merino Tencel - and some "crap" roving, that made me giggle - good practice stuff. But seriously, the generosity...wow.

My visions of handspun started really heating up when I saw the trade that Bockstark and Micki of a thing for string (ravelry stash here) made awhile back - it seems to me, as I followed the documented fiber trail, that it was that handspun from Micki that truly got Kris started spinning and spinning. I have rabidly followed both of these spinners blogs - watching from the sidelines. I even won a skein of coveted handspun from Micki's blog contest - the stars were lining up!

Then as soon as I sent the roving to Germany for my own trade I started firing e-mails back back and forth with Bockstark about spinning, how could I get started? My ideas of waiting to take a class and look at wheels at the Sheep and Wool in September quickly fell by the wayside - I got my Lendrum and have spun up some pathetic beginnings - I have hope however, with Kris' encouragment that one day - I might be able to gift her some handspun in return - it is a lofty goal, I know.

Other pretty handspun I have admired, well actually, that has me all in a lather... (some ravelry links) - SourCherries' entire stash, Krista of Pigeonroof Studios, Carrie of Funky Carolina, my favorite skein from Through the Loops, everything from UptheMudCreek, Gherkin's stash - and this folks, is merely the tip of the iceberg...

14 Comments:

Blogger bockstark.knits said...

Only for you, my dahling, only for you! :) Glad you liked the package and I'm honored that it's going to be part of your now pretty huge stash! ;) Really, it was a fun spin and I'm so glad that I lassoed you into spinning! You are going to produce some really great yarns soon!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Very nice trade indeed! I'd say you made out like a bandit:) I'm waiting for the day... any day now that you will show us your handspun.

I hear that you tend to produce your best art yarn when you first get started:) That its hard to go back and recreate that once you know what you are doing.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Micki said...

Lucky you to get some Bockstark yarn! Welcome to the (spinning) fold--sooner than you think you'll be spinning up your own masterpieces. :)

9:31 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! I think you made out beautifully!! Can't wait to see your own spinning too!

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that is a lovely little batch of yarny goodness. Just beautiful! I admire that you have taken up spinning. I don't think I could ever even attempt it. I look forward to seeing what you turn out.

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is gorgeous! Lucky you!

10:43 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Lovely handspun - what will it become?
I love the roving from Funky Carolina that I've seen. It alone makes me want to start spinning!

7:52 AM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Wow!! Lucky you! That yarn is beautiful!

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful!! And great trade!!

I am loving spinning - I'm not super great but it's very soothing to me. I had a bad day at work Friday, and sat down on my spinning wheel immediately when I got home, and I felt better immediately.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Wannabe said...

You lucky lady....you DESERVE it. xo.

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that handspun is beautiful. Spinning is a world I've stayed out of but then a spinner joined my knitting group and now you are singing its praises - and tempting me with all that beautiful yarn (I like yours too!). Maybe the spinning stars are aligning in Italy as well as WI.

3:05 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I am so happy that you are itching to spin! I can't wait to see all the beauties that you come up with. Also, thanks for the shout out. ;)

8:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So pretty! Luck you!!!

Did you read the comments about drafting on my post? They are pretty much the same as in the book I read (spin to knit) It seems like the more time you take to draft well, the better (smoother) the spinning goes... Haven't really jumped in yet. If you do, let me know how it goes!

7:47 PM  
Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

You kow Peaknit...I can trace several of my "addictions" back to you. Wollmeise included, so should I feel bad that you were hooked into spinning after watching Mikki and Bockstart? No. I have also been observing from afar. I see what those two are doing and now you! I think I feel a little P.O.'d. I really don't have time for spinning. I don't even have time to knit everything I want. I really think you should stop now. For my sake.

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home