Peaknit

Wednesday, August 09, 2006


Blooming butterflies...me and my daughters went to Olbrich Botanical Gardens today. It is only 30 minutes away but we've never been there before. It was stunning, and I have staked out a new knitting spot. Can you see me knitting there...but that was just the selfish part of our visit - me picking out where I alone will be coming to knit.

My oldest daughter, Lib was like the pied piper - only for butterflies. She had several in her hand at once. It was magical watching her face light up when one would land on her hand - a flicker of pure joy - I felt like a lucky voyeur watching her from afar. Several folks asked her if they could take a picture of her hand where three butterflies had come to rest. She was glad to show the "three-feet-and-under" set her amazing gifties. We only struggled a little with the listening ears today - she is such an independant soul - hard to reign in sometimes. I'm sure it is a double edged sword - while her confidence can be awfully frustrating to me now - it surely will serve her well later.

I think I may suggest a year membership to the gardens for Christmas - that is if I can wait that long - Quilts in Bloom is coming in September! It was a joy and would be well worth it to be blessed with a year of aesthetic wonder. It was refreshing to have something natural provide us so much pleasure - no carnival rides, no toys, no Happy Meals (or unhappy meals as they often are)to stimulate the family, just nature, peace, beauty...like a meditation blanket to wrap ourselves in. Thank you God!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home