Peaknit

Saturday, August 16, 2008

I'm nothing if not a bandwagon jumper...

Yes, it's true folks - I get on the bandwagon.

Wagon #1: The February Ladies Sweater

I am so close to finishing my FLS - does it seem like I have been writing about it forever? It kind of feels like it. I have one sleeve to go and then some blocking and praying - praying it grows a bit. Even though it is not a FO - I wanted to show you my progress anyways...

fls_sleeve

Can you help me decide on buttons? I mean your opinions will be invaluable if I ever finish...

fls_buttons

I love them both for different reasons. I kind of think the dark wood would work best with this colorway, natural and warm, but I'm torn. I love the intricacy of the metal buttons, hmmmm.

Bandwagon #2: Meyer Book Series

139b81b0c8a0c5feb0be9110_L

The series of books by Stephanie Meyer starts with Twilight. I wanted to read it before the movie comes out! I grabbed it up this week and I must admit, it's hard to put down, I finished it in a few days - a good recommendation from my non-blogging friend Christine. It's touted as teenage fiction, but it's good for us grown-ups too. It's a nice thick book but a simple read. The author has a knack for describing details, I can picture the scenes, the moods of the characters, I enjoy reading material that help me conjure a vivid visual and this book has it...now to get the second volume....

Bandwagon #3: NPR Podcasts

My sister and her husband are technically the only others I personally know on this wagon but I would like to invite any bandwagon jumpers to come aboard with us if you have the time - check out This American Life podcast, it's free from NPR. I am intrigued by the topics. Yesterday I heard a delightful but unpublished fiction on this episode, read by Dermot Mulrooney, it's about how truth comes out, it's quite silly really, absurd almost - the author is Etgar Keret. Worth a listen; I promise.

Bandwagon #4: Spinning

I alluded all over the place to this one in my last post - but I like what I am seeing so far. I tried some pencil roving today as Bockstark suggested, and wow, what a difference this kind of roving makes in lending spinning confidence - if you are a new spinner, must. get. some. pencil. roving.

24 Comments:

Blogger bockstark.knits said...

Heh! I told you so! :) But where are the spinning pictures? I think I like the wood buttons for the FLS, but I'm sure either would look good. Can't wait to see it done, you're so close!!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Trisha said...

Cute sweater. I love the color.

I just finished Breaking Dawn, book #4. Yes, this series is super addictive. Did you know Stephenie is writing Twilight (book #1) from Edward's perspective? Should be good!!

10:38 AM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Yay for the February Lady!! It looks so pretty! You're almost done!! I love both buttons but I'm partial to the top ones :)

My sister has been trying to get me to read the Twilight series...I just haven't had time to jump on yet! Glad you are enjoying it!

1:08 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Ooohhh Lala... Your FLS is coming along nicely--what a lovely color it is--I vote for the wooden buttons as they are a nice warm touch for the blue green of the sweater.

As for spinning I hear that pencil roving is the way to go. I actually have some of the original pencil roving from when Teyani used to dye it at crown mountain farms. Perhaps I should hold on to it for that day when I cross over:)

1:16 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Love the sweater! I'm stalled out right now -- need to knit 2 sleeves still. I vote for the metal buttons.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Jill L said...

I like the metal ones -- love the progress so far and I will light a candle to the kniitng gods a pray it fits!

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my vote is for the metal buttons - it's all in the details!

4:47 PM  
Blogger Auntly H said...

I like the metal ones. Maybe I'm just a sucker for metal on clothes like one of my friend/former co-workers is.

This American Life is one of my favorite things to listen to! I'm way behind on the podcasts, but that has nothing to do with how much I love the show.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like the wood buttons. I think they're a better fit for that particular sweater.

So... pencil roving is the key huh? OK- I'm gonna give it a shot!

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for the wood buttons - definitely. Your FLS is going to be beautiful!

9:00 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

your feb sweater is looking fantastic. i am in love with those dark wooden buttons!!!

5:50 AM  
Blogger mle said...

You FLS is looking great! That will be so hard to choose between those buttons! I love both but I'm leaning towards the wood ones.
I'll have to check out Twighlight. I am almost finished with Stephenie Meyer's adult fiction book "The Host".....it is GOOD!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Your sweater is looking great! I also fell victim to Bandwagon #2, so I understand :) Good luck with your spinning!

8:40 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I'll put my vote in for the wood buttons also. You must find something fabulous for the metal ones, though, they are beautiful. Your sweater looks amazing. Pretty color! Can't wait to see it done :)
Suzanne

10:17 AM  
Blogger wiscjennyann said...

I like the wooden buttons and I LUV the looks of your sweater! That color is fantastic.

(ps-- thanks for the welcome home wishes a couple of days... er... weeks(?) ago ;-)

10:32 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

You're almost there! It looks great. I can't decide on the buttons. Maybe the wood?

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh, I hadn't heard of pencil roving.... thanks for the tip!

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to be on the bandwagon - especially when it's so fun and you do such good work!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Knitterella said...

Love your FLS! and the photo rocks! That teal against the red is stunning.

I say the wooden buttons all the way. They are so cool!

Thanks for the link to the NPR podcasts - I think I'd like that and would be great to listen to while I work.

(I just might jump on the FLS bandwagon too!)

7:26 AM  
Blogger Kari said...

I just picked up Twilight. I resisted a long time, but kept hearing that it was a page-turner. Now it sits on the stack of books on the nightstand.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

Boy, it took me a moment to catch up, you have a lot to share. I love your first handspun, I think it is beautiful.
Yay to your sweater. I vote for the wood buttons, those are great. I love the other metal buttons, too, but since there is so much detail in the sweater I think the simpler button is a better match. They both would look lovely, you can't go wrong. Can't wait to see what you pick.
You are so fun to wheel and deal to get that gorgeous handspun. You and your stash are very enviable.
Hope you are well.
susie

5:35 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Your FLS is going to be amazing! I haven't minded seeing multiple posts about it at all. :) As for the buttons, it was very difficult to come to this conclusion, but I think I like the wooden ones slightly more with the yarn. Can't wait to see what you choose!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I like the metal buttons! But that's just me, usually I would like the wood buttons, but those metal ones are fabulous!
I love NPR - Garrison Keiler rocks!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Gramknits said...

The metal for dressing and the wooden for casual. the sweater could be used either way. So at the worst you change the buttons for the occasion. Love the wheel! ITS BEAUTIFUL....

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home