Peaknit

Sunday, August 24, 2008

knitting, spinning and broken bones

At last I have cast off the February Ladies Sweater, whew - it's blocking and I am praying - that it will dry my size, if by magic. If it does not fit accross my bust like I hope I plan to add this modification, an added button band - clever - but here's hoping it does not come to that. Thank you all for your generous input about my buttons - I am going wood for this sweater but I might try to tailor my next sweater project to work with those metal ones if I can - since I do love the intricate detail. Yes, I did say "next" sweater. This is only my second official sweater - the FLS has been such a fun knit, I want more - I am planning to have another cheap romp with a sweater soon - sorry socks.

This week I have been spinning a little bit here and there - here is my first semi-useable two ply...maybe a coaster? :)

flawful_fibers_magoo_shetland
Flawful Fibers Shetland Magoo

I'm fighting with my wheel to get the two ply to spin onto the bobbin - I said the "f" work several times - not the typical vision of a milkmaid spinning, but ah well. I have been spinning up pencil roving at the suggestion of my own spinning fairy godmother at Bockstark Knits, what a difference that makes - so little drafting to be done to get skinny and presentable singles, at least I hope - we'll see come ply-day.

cmf_budda2

I'm really hoping the wheel class at the Wisconsin Sheep and Wool will be the "ah-ha" moment for me. fingers crossed. If you happen to get to the S & W (Sept 5-7), chocolatesheep is planning an after-party - no doubt a far cry from the after parties of college - far more fun and I won't spend $5 for a cup I won't use. However, I am still happy to be a desinated driver if anyone is interested...

Lastly, my eldest broke her arm this week - dangerously close to a growth plate, - sheesh, I've seen about enough of the hospital lately:) She may have to have surgery if things shift - here's hoping faith is on our side again. She is being a rock star about the discomfort and has been somewhat humble about the gifts she has garnered...I think she is seeing the silver lining of breaking a bone, em.

19 Comments:

Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Oh no, hope she has a speedy recovery! And you are turning into quite the spinner, aren't you!

7:17 PM  
Blogger cbknits80 said...

The spinning looks good to me. Can't wait to see what your next sweater will be. I think I want to try the Tangled Yoke Cardigan.

7:33 PM  
Blogger sheepish one said...

yikes! kids and broken bones doesn't sound like a fun mixture. i've yet to hit that milestone.
your spinning, especially that firey orange and red one, is just enviable. i can't see myself ever spinning... it'd take too much time from my knitting, i think!
that button band idea is clever. i really do love the FLS, but i worry that it would look silly on a busty gal like me... seems to me that the garter stitch yoke hits everyone mid-bust, some place i don't need emphasis... i can't wait to see yours!!

7:38 PM  
Blogger yarntini said...

Yuck! I hope that you and your daughter are doing okay and that she heals quickly!

Your spinning looks amazing! I so want to to try but it's probably not going to happen since I haven't even managed to pick up my knitting needles in months :).

7:46 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

I can't wait to see your sweater! The wood buttons were my favorite choice :)

Sorry to hear about the broken arm! I hope everything heals quickly.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Micki said...

Your spinning is looking great. It's understandable to want to be perfect from the get-go, but really, nobody is. :)

I hope your daughter's arm heals well. My twin sister broke her arm when we were 10, and she had a grand time bopping me on the head with her cast.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Looks like you're picking up the spinning very quickly! I do plan to hit WI S&W this year, but I'm not sure on a day yet.

** sending healing vibes northwards **

9:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yowza! Your pencil roving came out beautifully! I suppose I should draft a little more!

Hope your daughter's arm heals quickly!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Ella said...

HA HA HA! I totally got this image in my head of a blond braided girl with one of those white milkmaid hats, sitting at a spinning wheel swearing up a storm. Too freaking funny.

I hope your daughter gets well soon - broken bones are never fun!

9:57 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Poor sweety:( I really do hope she heals soon and that things will re-align themselves correctly so surgery is not required:(

Hey you are spinning - WooHoo!

10:32 PM  
Blogger bockstark.knits said...

Ouch! I hope your daughter recovers quicky (kids always do!). And your spinning is coming along very nicely!

2:15 AM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Hope she has a quick recovery!!

Can't wait to see the February Lady Sweater!! Its an addicting knit isn't it!! The spinning is looking good!!

3:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor baby! I hope she's better soon. I love the colors you're using and am impressed with your skill.

8:57 AM  
Blogger knittingma said...

Can't wait to see some photos of the finished Lady Sweater! Hope your daughter heals quickly.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Boo hoo on the broken bone, but on the up side those singles look great!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Oh, thank heavens she missed the growth plate- that can be nasty. Here's wishing her a speedy recovery!
Your spinning is loverly, and I can't wait to see the FLS! I am reknitting a sweater that was too tight at the bust. Dang bust! I even had gauge! :(

6:30 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Quick recovery to E and as less hospital as possible!

5:30 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Aw, your poor daughter! That sounds like no fun (except for the extra attention and presents :) ). Your spinning is looking amazing and all that hard work and frustration will pay off!

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a good thing she avoided that growth plate.

Your spinning is looking fantastic!! Mine is still coming along - now I have the problem of being toooo skinny.

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home