Peaknit

Tuesday, January 01, 2013

works in progress...

I am not sure if the intrigue started for me on instagram or was this blog post over at lucyandnorman...but I am finding myself in the thick of a quilt along of sorts - a scrappy trip around the world quilt. It employs a very cool technique explained over here at Quiltville - and takes me back to my very first quilt in 1994 - which was also a Trip around the World and done with the same technique. It was a feat in ugly greens but it still hangs on my wall as my first big sewing project. So it ends where it begins - I am back to a trip around the world with scraps galore. And I really love the way it is coming together - crazy fun colors.

IMG_0688

I imagine can call it scrappy all I want, as if to imply there are just scraps being used here - but truly, I am cutting 2.5" strips off bigger pieces of fabric, some coveted ones even - so "scraps" maybe a stretch. But using up my stash is what it is all about.

I really need to weed out awful fabrics from the early-mid 90's, even if it breaks my heart to send them to Goodwill - I need to make space for the stuff I use and stop having a museum in my sewing room, right? I need to break up with Thimbleberries. I don't typically make resolutions - but culling the stash might be a necessary one.

So continues the stash busting...

ida's kitchen hat

Ida's Hat pattern in various Plucky Knitter Traveler yarns - the skeins were born to be Camp Town cowls, but ah, to hell with destiny. There is one rogue red in there - a Blue Sky Alpaca silk that is at least 8 years old - but, in the interest of stash culling, I feel especially good about using some of that. The whole kit and caboodle has a lovely drape - I'm excited to see if maybe THIS is the hat I can actually wear without looking like a dufus. *fingers crossed*

6 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

I am seeing these quits everywhere and I thought the same thing, about my first quilt. I was making a trip around the world the same time as you, all bright colors, we still use it. Love the colors in your hat!

9:37 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Those colors for your hat are fantastic (and actually match the quilt)!

8:05 AM  
Anonymous kate said...

I love the colors you chose for your hat! They look fantastic together.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Aaaah, so pretty! Both the quilt and hat are going to be awesome. The colors are all so great!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Love the colors of that hat! So cheerful!

I'm impressed by how much quilting you get done. I need to dust off my sewing machine and get to work!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My mom made my sister and I these quilts over 30 years ago! It's great to see a comeback.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home