Peaknit

Sunday, August 05, 2012

there is progress being made...

Okay, I confess I have not found my mojo entirely - that Pinctada is barely started and the Olympics are half over.

But I did make my first 241 tote by Noodlehead. I'm calling this my learning bag - as in I learned maybe my interfacing choice was a bit too stiff (though I do like a hefty tote bag), that I am entirely inept with pins, steams burns smart and that I should stop when I am tired (and quite possibly avoid aforementioned injuries). In any case, I am fairly pleased with the results - in that I would totally carry this bag in public. I just love how the side pockets stick out so jauntily.

IMG_0456_2
The grey fabric is by Timeless Treasures Washi Collection, the aqua is a Lizzy House design in pearl bracelets, I think.

I always find that sewing it so much more immediate gratification that my knitting. This bag went together fairly quickly once I committed to cutting the pieces out. I really like the bag, and the pattern was very easy to follow - I did not brave zipper pockets on the front panel on this first run, but maybe on the next one. And I would like another one - maybe greys and yellows this time, or quite possibly one of these Go-Anywhere bags, also by Noodlehead.

chaperone

On the reading front - I recently loved The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty. I think I have read all of this author's books - this might just be my favorite yet. I think it was extra special because I listened to the audio book which was read by Elizabeth McGovern - who plays Cora (the American) on Downton Abbey - and coincidentally, the very likable main character of the book - also Cora. McGovern was a treat to listen to, it was nice to savor the book with her as mu guide. The story was good, very believable and clever. I found myself at least once gasping in shock and many times cheering right out loud for the heroine. She is so likable, I'd like to know her, even with a life riddled with tragedy and twists - she just nails it! I'd give Cora a 10 if keeping one's dignity in the face of adversity were an Olympic event.



4 Comments:

Blogger mle said...

Nice bag! I think the pockets stick out weirdly at all! The Go Anywhere bag is definitely next on my list too.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Love the bag! I too recently finished listening to that audiobook and loved it.

3:59 PM  
Blogger tammy said...

What a great bag!

Sewing is always a little more civilized when it gets hot out too. :)

7:30 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Cute bag! Thanks for the book recommendation -- time to hit the library. :)

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home