Peaknit

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Hello Blog, I have missed you.

Has it truly been 4 months? Gosh, I have been so busy doing other things, I have realized just recently how much I miss my blog, watching my kids grow up here as they pose my knits, and avidly looking at other blogs for creative recharge - gosh - I have to confess I have been too sucked up into pinterest and facebook - it's shameful. I have given up facebook for lent. Gosh, I don't miss going down that rabbithole, peeking into my "friends" goings on - meanwhile, not creating any "goings on" of my own. Apparently I can't give up the cyber world entirely, but blogs give me something back which facebook sure can't, and I just can't seem to balance both. I hope to start being a more regular visitor to my blogfriends spaces again - I have been sorely missing the inspiration.

In the past months I have had serious knitting ADD. Probably my most significant knit has been a finished Cassis. It took me just under a year from beginning to end. The most exciting part of this finished object - I have worn it...in public. (more than once!) I think I look incredibly constipated in the photo, I think I was praying my husband would just. take. the. picture.


IMG_0015

I have also been curious about making bread. I read a book last year called Bread Alone by Judi Hendricks. It was a pleasant fictional read and there were recipes at the end of chapters - the book suggested to me that bread making could somehow be therapeutic. Well, that was all of the encouragement I needed. I tried a recipe off of the internet first - causing a serious calamity at 4:30 in the morning breaking a glass pie plate into a million pieces in a 450 degree oven - fail. So I purchased the book Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day - 5 minutes? I mean, I hadn't expected that - but I made my first batch of dough today - I cut a hunk off to bake and I think I may have a successful loaf here. The jury is still out - but I feel a bit like Henny Penny as my girls are chirping that they will be more than happy to help me eat it just as soon as it cools off. ETA: I'm proud to say my 11-year-olds first words were "It's amazing" - success!

mosaic358951bc32f754ca59279bcff9b480978f900ebe

Lastly, I read a book recently - Snapshots by William Norris. At first I wasn't sure what to think of it - it was unlike ay book I'd read before - it tells the story of a family in literal snapshots in the third person and tells the story going back in time, from basically the present - to when the adult children in the book were children. I think there is a lot of the story left unsaid as it allows the reader to connect the dots - it was a different style, I enjoyed it. Meanwhile I keep having fits and starts muddling through Devil in The White City...I am having a hard time investing in this one -but I should be loving it - so I'll keep at it a bit longer.

snapshots

I hope to be back soon - I really miss this space.

5 Comments:

Blogger ktb38 said...

I have been making bread from that book for a while. My favorite thing is to use the master recipe, shape them into rolls, let them rise for 20 minutes, and then bake them. They don't last long at my house! trai

2:24 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Glad you're back. I will look forward to seeing your new entries pop up in my feed. Wonderful job on that sweater. It looks great!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

You Cassis is beautiful! The bread sounds delicious, and Devil in the White City was fantastic! I didn't struggle at all with it. But...I struggled with "In the Garden of Beasts" I thought I was going to love that unconditionally. Nope...lots of conditions, as it turns out.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Hey there! Nice to see you back! I'm loving your Cassis.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Auntly H said...

I've missed you! So glad you're back.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home