Peaknit

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

lordy, lordy...

So I am 40 today. I had been telling myself for the past year "it's only a number". But subconsciously, I have been in some kind of crazy, dark place - very bizarre and perhaps my thinking somehow personifies "mid-life crisis". Ew, I haven't liked it one bit. But somehow, now that I am "over the hump" so-to-speak, I think I am okay. I actually had a woman at the Aveda Store today tell me "congratulations" when I told her I was 40 today - "congratulations"? And you know, I am pretty sure she meant it - and somehow that might have been what I need to hear to help me believe maybe I'll be okay.

It has been so daunting because I have never really been overly concerned about my age or a new wrinkle or my pre-maturely gray hair. But then this year, I have struggled to stay active, pounds have creeped on a bit, I have abandoned yoga practice, I have lost my knitting mojo here and there - insanity compounding insanity. So, while many people make new year resolutions, I think I need to try to live my 40th year more mindfully. It's kind of like waking up after a too long nap - I need to remember I am in control here, now to grab the wheel, right? Sheesh.

So, I got a cool new bicycle, and I am going to yoga tomorrow - I have committed to my teacher I will be there. It's a start.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest - now let me show you someone special:

IMG_8901
My new, stinking cute nephew - Benjamin was born on May 2.

And the Plus quilt I am slowly but surely making for him:

IMG_8912

I made it using the tutorial here. I can't wait until he is all wrapped up in it...come on mojo!

13 Comments:

Blogger Kristy said...

Happy Birthday! From what I've heard, the 40s are even better than the 30s. So Congratulations :)

That's a pretty quilt! It will compliment the cute baby perfectly!

8:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

10:44 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Happy Birthday my dear! I just turned 35 but it didn't feel like a milestone for me, probably because I'm all wrapped up emotionally in this pregnancy rather than thinking about a number. Maybe it was hard for you because you're feeling a little uncentered? I hope you get back on the track & your knitting mojo back! (Meanwhile I've all but lost my quilting mojo!)

11:00 PM  
Anonymous emmms said...

Happy birthday!!! I hope it's wonderful!

3:34 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I think we all need those reminders from time to time...that we are in control. (to a certain extent.) I'm glad you got yours and that "Congratulations." Here's one from me, too! :)

I turn 40 in less than a month and am still not sure how I'm going to feel.

6:56 AM  
Blogger mle said...

Happy Birthday! You go girl! and don't sweat the small stuff. :)
Your nephew is adorable with all that hair and his quilt is looking fabulous!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

Happy (belated) birthday! Those are excellent resolutions - and similar to resolutions I am trying to adopt in my 33rd year.

Your quilt is beautiful - love the fabric choices.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I hope you had a lovely birthday. Some are easier than others, aren't they? I think you're fantastic, creative, and inspiring!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

Popping over from IGK's blog to say hi. I'm adding you to my read-feed (or whatever it's called) - you have made some pretty things :0) And boy, is your new nephew cute.
Hope you're enjoying 40. I turned 41 this year. I dreaded 40, but it's not that different to any other year :0)

9:20 AM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Happy Birthday! Join the club! I know exactly how you feel about turning 40, as I'm suffering the same feelings. We'll gracefully make 40 lok like the new thirty, right? Enjoy it!

8:42 PM  
Blogger Elysbeth said...

Sorry I'm late to the birthday. I always say the 20s are for screwing up, the 30s are for fixing up, and the 40s are for finally getting to enjoy it

4:25 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

That's a pretty quilt! Happy Birthday!

Year Old Birthday Party Ideas

2:29 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

Happy belated birthday. Here's to wishing you the best that life can give, at any age.

I'm nearing the mid forties and it's friggin' awesome. Really.

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home