Peaknit

Monday, January 17, 2011

picot is stinkin' precious...

IMG_8551
"Flocked" mittens, pattern by Hello Yarn...yarn is worsted :: Malabrigo Rios and Spud and Chloe Sweater

Don't you love a picot edge? Gosh, I love them on everything - why don't I make them more? Gah, because they are super duper futzy, right? But gosh, a finished picot is so precious. I blocked her up this morning to prep for the lining (so yes, this mitten will be like knitting TWO mittens before I have one...). I soaked the mitt and when I squished it around after a bit, a puff of red came out into the water. o.m.g. Yup, a little bleedage - I could have cried - I think it'll be okay and I have cast on the second one...You see, I am distracting myself...I am just avoiding my true challenge...the sweater.

I have never ever finished a sweater and thought, "yup, gonna wear that a lot". Okay, I have only finished two sweaters - probably because I have been so sad upon cast off, forlornly calculating how much time and money I have just wasted. Truth be told, knitting can be like that sometimes. A rabbit hole of time and cash...okay, let's not dwell on that.

So, we were talking about the elusive sweater. The Plucky Knitter gang over at Rav is having a Knit-A-Long, to knit something that challenges you in 2011 - develop a new skill or try a garment off your grid. So I am going full speed ahead into a sweater - well, as soon as I stop procrastinating on other things. I hope to have a Cassis by the end of the KAL - in some freaking fabulous Plucky MCN Lite. My swatch appears to be spot on - so could this be an omen?

Speaking of Plucky - I knit a test for her recently - out of her MCN Aran (squishy, squish, squish). I knit the Wandering Cowl for her to toss about her display booth. I do love when I can see how something knits up, so it was a pleasure to knit this - because Sarah is so nice - but mostly because I got to squish her yarn, kind of on loan.

IMG_8523

Well, back to my other mitten distraction - gotta keep plugging away so I can get a move on the scary sweater.

6 Comments:

Blogger Auntly H said...

Gorgeous mitt. And Cassis looks like an awesome sweater. May it be a huge success for you.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Trisha said...

Good luck on the sweater! It will be gorgeous! Love the colors you picked for your mitten. I love a picot edge too.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

You'll do great with the sweater! I have had that same sweater pattern downloaded for awhile, thinking that it might actually be one that I'd wear......maybe.
I also love the cape that BabyCocktails - aka Thea- designed in Plucky.
Be brave....your mitten is so beautiful....you can totally conquer that sweater with your mad skills! :)

8:28 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Yes I love that picot edge! I must learn how to do that. I just bought the Fiddlehead pattern (and I'm using stash yarn - bonus!) but really what I need to do is keep plugging along on my own sweater. And yes, it scares the hell out of me that I'll finish and never wear it. If that is the case the $150 in yarn wasted will only pale in comparison to the 500 hours lost! I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for both of us.

12:43 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Picot, yes! It is SO pretty, but I never do it even when it's called for in a pattern. Lame! I've got to start actually doing it because it really is lovely.

Yes, sweaters can be scary. They are such a commitment of time and money and it is such a letdown when it doesn't turn out the way it looked in your head. I've been a devoted sweater knitter from the beginning, but it really took awhile before I figured out (prior to casting on) what would look decent on me and what I would actually wear. It just takes practice. I think Cassis may be a pretty safe bet, though. And remember, if a sweater ever doesn't work out, you can always rip out and repurpose the yarn for something else! There's really nothing to lose.

10:41 AM  
Blogger t does wool said...

I am waiting for the sweater;)
everything else here is beautiful Stacey~!

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home