Peaknit

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

obligation angst

But first - November's Mystery Sock - clue one...

IMG_8249
"Mock" for November for the Sock's Knitter's Anonymous group at Ravelry in Wollmeise fliederbusch

Is anyone else having anxiety about the holidays? I have honestly been up at night trying to figure out how to make every one in our lives happy without alienating anyone. The holidays seem to come with so many obligations - and sometimes I think - it's the time of year I do what everyone else expects - not what I really want. Which is frustrating, because I am a grown-up and love my own little nuclear family and want to preserve some of our own traditions. I feel like I want to cut back on holiday spending yet I feel like my meek suggestion isn't really going over. I want to spend less and be mindful partly because it is a smart time to save - and partly because we don't need anymore stuff. Our house is bursting - with things other than yarn, I swear.

In my perfect and absolutely imaginary world we would give handmade gifts (and people would appreciate them - a lot), and bake together. And we would really focus on what Christmas means to us, as a family - rather than crazy shopping, disappointment and buyers remorse. I think I need to create a holiday make-over - any ideas? That is, ideas that do not piss off everyone...

ETA...I was reading blogposts right after writing this and found this at MLE Knits::

sincere-xmas
A Sincere Christmas

Maybe this is the idea I have been looking for...gosh, blogland rocks.

10 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

I'll have to check out the sincere Christmas thing. Here's how I've been dealing with the holidays: what holidays? Are the holidays coming up? La dee da I don't hear you. :)

1:09 AM  
Blogger Caffeine Girl said...

I know exactly what you mean. Even with the less-commercialized Hanukkah, it feels like there's too much gifting!

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Nancy from Mass said...

I have the same issue...My family is great - we are a large family and only give to the kids under 18. Hubbys' family on the other hand...trying to get them to cut back/not be so 'expecting' of gifts is difficult. And there is only hubby, his sister and her 3 kids and my M/FIL. The kids are all getting knit hats (with another gift).
Read the 100 dollar Christmas. It's a small book and a very quick read. I wish I could get my IL's to read it!

7:26 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

I know what you mean; you should also check out the book Unplug the Christmas Machine for more ideas to scale back. I do know that as much as I love handmade and/or thrifted gifts, it does cause a different type of stress for people who don't craft.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Georgia said...

Boy do I ever hear you on the obligation thing! Our extended family just keeps getting bigger, and the thought of having to buy for all of those children is daunting.

Luckily most of their parents are THRILLED to have a knitter/quilter/sewist in the family and prefer handmade gifts, and I love making things for my nieces.

By the way, that sock is looking gorgeous!

7:39 AM  
Anonymous kim said...

Wait, did I write this or did you? I am SO with you. I have a pit in my stomach thinking about all the endless, mind-numbing shopping. If only we could just enjoy the actual holiday.... Thanks for the links.

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Emily said...

I'm pretty lucky that our family has had this discussion about downsizing the emphisis on gift-giving this Christmas. Most are very receptive to handmade or inexpesive (thoughtful!) gifts.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I completely understand your angst! I suffer from it as well. Love the start of your sock!

5:17 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Oh boy, I hear you. Unfortunately, I have no suggestions on how to make it better. :( For now, I'm just taking lots of deep breaths!

10:48 AM  
Blogger phoenix_anew said...

Your November Mock is gorgeous! How is it coming along? I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! :)

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home