Peaknit

Sunday, March 13, 2011

come, sail away...

IMG_8732
The State Street Tote by Bari J.

I finished this tote bag yesterday - I was inspired by this one over at Fashioned by Meg. She made it for her partner in the Urban Home Goods swap - so I stalked the pattern and all of the supplies. And then I finally used my coveted Heather Ross Far Far Away 2. The fabric is canvas-like, which seems perfect for a tote - but then two layers of fusible fleece, and 4 layers of fabric - my sewing machine was straining a little. I decided to trim away what I thought was extra fabric and after the fact, realized I cut a part that would show - so i had to get creative and the bag ended up a little bit smaller than it should have. I could have cried - but it has turned out okay in spite of my near epic disaster. I love the owl and the pussy cat sailing away...

IMG_8733

My mom admired it last night, repeating several times "I really like that bag, I really like it". She is funny and kind of shameless that way. We'll see, mom - mother's day is around the corner. Meanwhile, my sewing machine probably needs some TLC.

Thank you for the kind words about my last post - and the stressors of being amidst a messy battle over union rights/ benefits in WI. The situation took a negative turn this week when the the bill got rammed through in a what appeared to be an illegal manner. The protesting continues - Susan Sarandon spoke at the Capital yesterday. Even if all of the protests don't make a difference in the end, it has been exciting and gratifying to know that people are willing to fight to be heard.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

That's a really cute bag! Love the fabric, the pattern, and your exquisite workmanship.

I'm hoping to hear some good news out of WI sometime soon... it has been rough. I'm sending positive vibes across the state line.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a great bag! It's so cute. Stay strong on the union issues.

12:18 AM  
Blogger D. Jean Quarles said...

Love the bag! Too cute.
WI is also in my thoughts.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

What a fantastic bag!! I love it!! I hope things settle down in Madison by this weekend :) Can't wait!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Maryse said...

I just discovered your blog via the Skinner Hat on Ravelry ;-) You knit beautifully and I agree with your mom, this bag is really nice!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

What a great bag and a perfect showcase for the fabric! I want to make one immediately!

I thought about you when I heard about the bill earlier this week. I'm so sorry. :( But keep fighting!

12:00 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

You're fantastically talented! This is an awesome bag!
I agree with Nell, stay strong.....my thoughts are with you!

7:05 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

The bag is beautiful! I bet you had quite the time with all those thick layers! I had to go soooo slow sewing mine.

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home