Peaknit

Monday, August 06, 2007

crafting japanese-a

I have found myself so intrigued by japanese crafting - so many charming softies and unique ideas. I have had an ongoing adventure - in search of - a specific book and wanted to share all of the things I found on my journey.

I totally blame blogland for this fascination- Molly Chicken has so many darling projects with a link for all of her japanese specific craft books. Then there is a whole site dedicated to Crafting Japanese. You can find a libray of book s plus the ISBN numbers to search for them - which is especially handy since I cannot read a single title. Superbuzzy has many gifts, fabric and books related to japanese crafting - it's fun just to take a peek. buzzville is a blog related to the shop - there is another great collections of ISBN's here.

I have seen charming little bits all over the net and until I found blogland, did not realize the japanese influence. I was looking at Three Pink Trees, she was having a de-stash of her books and I saw this one...
cozyjapanese
Cozy Handbags and Pouches

Of course, she had sold hers and the book was out of print and totally unavailable. I tried to order it used from Amazon Japan but no one would ship to the US. Then I found Kinokuniya. This is a book store that I believe is found primarily along the West Coast in the US - I read about people getting the book from here in the past so I sat down and e-mailed every store and several had it. A clerk, Meg, from the Cosa Mesa store was so sweet. They had the book and now, I have it. Who says persistance does not pay? Now, I know I will probably sit on this book awhile...I just want to make this cute little bird purse - all of the hoopla for a bird pouch - I have been so excited by the zippered wristlets I have made, I want to try a bird. The power of the zipper.

fuka22

Another cute blog with japanese influence is wee wonderfuls, Hillary Lang makes the most darling softie dolls, patterns and "stitchettes". Her blog and projects have such a sweet vintage feel.

Etsy is also loaded with nifty things - these two stores carry many japanese crafts books: Saucylouise and chocolateswirl. I contacted both of these sellers as well, and they did try to find it for me - they were both very kind. I have bought heart and flower yo-yo makers from Saucylousie - very cool and I think you can get them domestically now too. Round yo-yo's? fuggetaboutit. And this seller has created some knit and crochet Amigurumi critters patterns. sweet. She even has a collection that will be published by Leisure Arts soon.

One last sidenote unrelated to my search...
05puls.6
aren't these too cute. Susie linked to the NY Times article on her blog and I just had to giggle - so wanted to pass it on to anyone who missed out. Can you think of anything more silly? I'd love to hear! Being totally serious - aren't they so impractical you just want one? I think it's the crisp cotton that is hypnotizing me, I'm intoxicated by the impracticality. too cute not to share. Thanks Susie!

10 Comments:

Blogger Hunny said...

Those really are cute. I don't know if I would pay 12.50 for it, but I sure would like to figure it out on my own!!

8:46 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

OMG, those apple cozies are hi-freakin-larious! It's the decreases and button loops that delight me. 'Cause just a plain apple cozy would be silly, but add the details of clever construction and they're ridiclously charming.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

I can't quite figure out why the apple needs a cozy? but they do look cute:)
Thanks for stopping by, and I do hope your back is better.

9:41 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Yes I am a huge Japanese crafting fiend as well, but sadly just an observer as I I don't crochet or sew!

If you like Japanese inspired blogs you should check out Marirob at http://marirob.blogspot.com/

7:03 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

I got that same exact book from a destash sale a few months agoa. I'm as enamored of the bird purse and pouch as you are! Just make sure you enlarge the pattern with a photocopying machine instead of thinking you can eyeball it...

8:28 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

That bird purse is really cute. I especially like the matching coin purses! I've been wanting to get a Japanese stitch dictionary. I'll have to look around...

I saw those apple cozies in the Times yesterday! Too funny!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

amazing. I love the bird purse and pouches SO MUCH!!! and I'm just mesmerized by the apple cozies. so cute and tidy, and so randomly unnecessary...

btw, the Rozas (and the new picot edge) look awesome!!

8:55 AM  
Blogger Molly Bee said...

Thanks for the great blog links! I especially like Molly Chicken!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Knitterella said...

Thanks for all the fun new links. Love the Molly Chicken one!

Those fruit cozies are so cute! Pretty crazy too.

Thanks!
Jill

12:47 PM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

I see an apple cozy being knit in my near future. I think those apple jackets are funny and cute. The bird purse and pouches are divine! Can't wait to see your version.
How's the back?

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home