Peaknit

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

I'd rather poke my eyes out...

than go clothes shopping again. What a wreck. I decided over the weekend that I think I hate the mall - is this a right of passage of the aged? While I was there I saw a sweet little elderly woman eating grapes on a bench and thanked God I was not there yet, I mean, bringing snacks? - but it seems that my love of shopping and all things fashion has come to a screeching halt, it makes my eyes bleed to try to care about what I wear, I mean really care beyond day to day work stuff, what happened? Truly, I think kids happened but I need to try to get my girly mojo back occasionally, right? I need to find something appropriate for a beautiful affair and eesh, aint happening. I found one lovely classic that would cost me um, about 8 skeins of Wollmeise - everything has become about yarn. That may also attribute to the "problem". (did I really say problem?) I may just have to break down and grab the classic which equals "classy" and therefore equals "for all occasions". Um, since when does mojo mean practical? Since when does practical feel like such a curse?

So thankfully, I wound some yarn to admire. (a little rum in my diet coke probably wouldn't hurt either...)

granatapfelcake2

I just need one more layer for a delicious red velvet wedding cake of Wollemise lacewieght in Granatapfel. Pomegranite has such a gorgeous ring in german. I am one step closer to casting on the Candle Flame Shawl. I will say again, that shawl knit by Auntly H. was the start of this whole Wollmeise addiction...have I said "thank you"?!:)

yarntinired

I also wound up a big cake of Yarntini in Intensely Red - almost 800 yards. I am thinking I should start the Clessidra once I wrap up my second baby cable sock. It so gratifying to finish a pair of socks - much better than having one, so much more useful. OMG, there's practical again!

Lastly, I was lusting over looking at Shannon's Clapotis - I think I need to pick that up again as well - fall is upon us - though it is a ridiculous 90 degrees today. Wisconsin, so unpredictable. Ah, but the clapotis - so practical.

Anyone else seeing the "red" theme here - is that my mojo? hot - albeit practical - mama? :) sa-weet!

20 Comments:

Blogger Auntly H said...

If we could merge your photos and mine, we might get an image of what my granatapfel looked like. You got all the purply bits, I got all the orange. Reality is somewhere between and beyond them. Regardless, it looks delicious.

Love the CK dress. I don't know if I could stomach paying 8 skeins of Wollmeise, but it is gorgeous. And with a Candle Flame Stole draped over your shoulders on a cool evening: spectacular!

7:01 PM  
Blogger Auntly H said...

p.s. you're welcome. :) or I'm sorry?

7:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hate clothes shopping. Probably because I don't love my current body. I can't believe shopping used to be my career!

7:46 PM  
Blogger Minerva Turkey said...

I hate the mall too! I really enjoy shopping at odd hours lately...when it is quite. I hate to fight people to get to the sales rack. :)

I love the shades of red you have chosen. I really want to start a red project, but I have a hard time picking a "good red". I am a redhead so I have to be careful not to pick a shade that matches my head.

9:13 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Hating the mall is a sign of intelligence and sanity!! My daughters made me take them to 'Hollister' for school shopping--since when did stores start looking like Tiki bars?!! Sheesh. And yes, Wollmeise is the new gold standard.

9:33 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

oh my gosh do i HATE malls! i havn't been in about 7 years....really! we do have a little street that has all of the chains...gap,banana,jcrew.....so that is where i go...but a mall? no way!
that dress is sooooo great! i think you should get it! :)
(although it is now unavailable!)

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lost my fashion mojo a bit ago. I feel like I'm in a weird place where the things I like are probably too young for me anymore, but the "adult" clothes are just too boring. When I can afford it, I find solace at Anthropologie. I love, love their clothes but they're freagin' expensive.

1:45 AM  
Blogger Knitterella said...

I definitely have to be in a certain mood to go to the mall, that's for sure! That dress, you should totally get! It's gorgeous and you'd get a lot of use out of it!

Nice yarn! And the Clapotis - I've been thinking of that one too!

Jill

5:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oohhh Wollemeise - Sigh... It looks so pretty. I can hardly wait to receive my order.

I am with you on the shopping thing. I used to be so into fashion! I was hip with the latest and grates styles. And now, well the yarn has also take over in these here parts. I have to reminds myself to shop for other things clothes mainly from time to time. I never saw this coming. Having children has also largely contributed to the practicality of things:)

9:19 AM  
Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Hmmmm...I've also been gravitating towards red lately. It's kind of funny to look back now. I used to be all for blue, then came green and now red. :-p

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooops I meant to also comment on the dress --its beautiful! You deserve it go ahead and treat yourself:)

9:25 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

That's funny-- I'm planning to have a red velvet wedding cake :)

I love that Yarntini yarn. It's a perfect red!

10:47 AM  
Blogger bobbi said...

poking out you eye might hurt.
you're not alone on the "I hate to shop" club.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Molly Bee said...

Pretty reds! Pretty dress! I sure hear ya about clothes shopping-bleck. Take me to a yarn store any day! I'll be at the Sheep Fest on Sat around 9AM to check out the goods!

1:49 PM  
Blogger Sabrina Hirsch said...

Oh those yarn cakes are making me drool, yummo! I think it is the season for red, it has been really appetizing to me too! Can't wait to see what you knit!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

Woohoo! yarn's better than malls anyday! Wretched horrid things, they are - leave them to the teenagers!

Leave the yarn to me though! ;)

5:56 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Since you are talking about shopping, what style are the Dansko's in the post where you are modeling your Wollmeise socks with the picot trim? I love those shoes, and would love a pair of them. I am a HUGE fan of Wollmeise, and just e-mailed Claudia for some more, but alas, the shop is closed until October - RATS! Love the Granaatapfel!

6:44 PM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

It's so weird how that clothes thing happens. I used to enjoy shopping for clothes and now it is pure torture. Your yarn is so beautiful, much better than the mall any day!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Love, love, love the reds. I think you need that dress, because I think I need that dress but there is no way I'll ever get it-- So you have to get it so I can enjoy it vicariously. Practical, schmactical.

2:18 AM  
Anonymous fly london shoes said...

For the wide variety of lady shoe you can visit the website of tReds which is the one of the well known company in the world and who is offering better and good quality online shoe service through which you save your time in very well manner.
fly london shoes

4:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home