Peaknit

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Campanula short row fun...

campanula heel

I did the heel. (pipe in Chariot's of Fire) I typically do not like a toe-up pattern. But I think this short row heel is too clever every time I do it. I think I may get by with no holes around the gusset even. But I cannot abandon the cuff-down pattern, I cannot.

First of all I love the kitchener stitch - I know not everyone does - but I love it. I got a nifty card which outlines every little bit of the kitchener at my first sock knitting class and have it laminated for reference. I just love how the stitches come off and the unfinished toe is nowhere to be found, no evidence remains that merely moments earlier a toe could have been peeking out. To be fair, I hate almost every other type of seaming - blech.

I also am in love with the turning of the heel, the whole pomp and cicumstance of it all. I can tailor the look a bit if I choose, and it offers something new, rather than going round and round(and round and round...). Once the flap is appropriately fabulous you get to "turn"...all of those stitches whittling down until it's time to pick up stitches. I get a little ugly when there is a hole in the gusset because I usually can't be sure until I am too many rows along to go back. And then I start bargaining with myself how I can hide that hole...do I try to stitch it up from the inside? No, I will just wear the whole to the inside of my leg and no one (except for you savvy knitters) will be the wiser. However, Grumperina's tutorial on picking up stitches the pretty way is probably a bit more insightful.

campanula

So all things considered...I am liking the Campanula though it seems like the foot may have come out a bit wide or "baggy"? I probably should have done 3.5 lace repeats instead of 4 but this foreign toe-up business left me a little dumbfounded - or so I will blame. I'm considering getting jiggy with it and ribbing up the back rather than doing lace repeats all the way around since in my mind that may help it "stay up" but in reality should the lace be a bit more unforgiving around the leg, hopefully solving the baggy foot issue? The roominess leaves the lace pattern less pronounced but I don't think I can't bring myself to pull back this heel, the heel I so lovingly worked on this morning - like learning another language, I kept having to refer to Wendy's tutorial. A "toe-up to English" dictionary if you will. Any knitterly suggestions for me? Please apply within.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That pattern is a great use for Dahlia. I really like how there's a little interest in the yarn varigation but the lace is still clearly visible. Nice job!

3:50 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

I know how you feel-- I'm not as good at determining how wide to make a pattern when it's toe up!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Auntly H said...

I generally substitute the Widdershins heel on toe-up socks that call for short rows. I love me some heel flap!

Note to self: remember to look at Grumperina's tutorial when picking up stitches EVERY TIME until it's instinctive. (thanks for the reminder Peaknit!)

5:30 PM  
Blogger MezzoDiva said...

Trust me, girlfriend - you DO want to frog that back to half a repeat before the "gusset", both for the general fit and also b/c you want more negative ease for the lace to spread out and really show those pretty flowers.

I know it seems a shame to rip, but I say this from extensive personal experience (I have now this sock MANY times, with different yarn, for different people, and ripped back to before the gusset MANY times - it is different with every yarn). You will be very happy once you did it and the second time through will take you much less time.

And, come to think of it, you could sub another heel, as Auntly H mentions.

7:27 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

Oh that makes me so sad - I am going to have to rip back this progress...I think I should walk away from the Campanula...quickly, quietly, sneak away. Maybe in October - breast cancer awareness month, I could try it again. or I could throw it under my bed?:)

7:48 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Thanks for the link, i m knitting the Jaywalker now.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

I still need to make friends with toe-ups. Let me know if you get some good tips! You're in good company with the frogging, I frogged the beginnings of my miter scarf last night and am recasting on this morning. Argh! Oh well, I wanted to turn it the other direction for the first row anyway so I have a prettier edge.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

It looks beautiful...Sorry if you have to frog the heel, that's always so sad...

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home