Peaknit

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Finished Objects

saartje1
Just to prove I haven't just been admiring my new hair in the mirror :) I have a couple of FO's to share...I knit up another sweet little pair of Saartje's Bootees - I knit them out of Hello Yarn fat sock in Plunge thinking they could be for a boy, see the brown and lime green in there? Now that they are done, I'm thinking they are more "girl" appropriate. Any thoughts?

saatje2

I have also been spending more time with my sewing machine - I sewed up this Favorite Things Cute Little Skirt in fabric by moda, Chez Moi. It is a simple panel skirt with an elastic back and flat front band. I really struggled to decide if I should add a thin turquise band of velvet around the bottom. I'm still torn. I tried iron on hem tape to cover up the raw edge nicely on the inside - ack! Never again, I made a mess. The fabric is busy so on this dreary day the individual panels are hard to distinguish in the photo - maybe some piping between would be fun in a future try? Overall, I am happy with my first "wearable" skirt, A-line is universally flattering. The pattern also has options for inset gores and a ruffled hem. I have more fabric in the wash for the next one as I type. I am also contemplating the Barcelona Skirt by Amy Butler, the featured fabric is washed and ready plus I have a zipper on hand...so many choices. If only I could find more time in the day.

skirt

psst...I hate having my picture taken but if I get drunk in the near future, I will gladly post a picture of my new hair, it's a fun pixie-ish cut. I can "kick out" the back with a bunch of pomade, makes me feel like Danny Zuko from Grease - the best part is that I feel younger, so until I can get some botox, a hair cut is the only affordable option next best thing:)

19 Comments:

Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

I want to see the new hair. That's what I need to do-cut and color. Those booties are fantastic, I still haven't made a pair but will soon. You are beyond cute in that skirt. Love the fabric and the pattern. Excellent work!! That is so funny you didn't know about the pea hat. I used to make the pea hats all of the time to sell in Alphabet Soup. They would always sell immediately. That hat became so popular I finally wrote up the pattern to sell. I always make pink peas for girls and blue peas for boys. It is a cute twist. I am glad you are doing better with your back.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Auntly H said...

Great job on the Cute Skirt. It looks like you matched motifs between panels. I'm impressed! You can see mine, with flounce, if you search the archives (last summer, I think).

I just finished the Barcelona skirt (except for the hook and eye). I did the simple A-line and I really like it. Plus, my instructor helped me modify the pattern so it nips in just right at my waist. This may now be my go-to skirt pattern. I see many more trips to the fabric store coming up soon.

Oh, and I think the booties could go for either gender. Whoever gets them will be a very lucky baby.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Knitterella said...

I just love those Saartje's Bootees! I think I might finally cast on for a pair tonight - even though I already have 4 other projects going! Yours are so inspiring!

The booties look more girl to me but the photo might be hard to actually tell the real color - browns and greens could go boy. Either way though, a little boy or girl would look precious in them!

Love the skirt! Looks great on you too! I think it looks great as is, maybe on the next one you can play with embellishing a hem. I would like to try that Barcelona Skirt too!

Hey, why don't you open a bottle of wine… I want to see your new do!
Jill

6:21 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

The booties seem slightly femme to me, so I say slap 'em on a boy to butch 'em up a little:)

Very, very adorable skirt...

7:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The booties look gender neutral to me. Maybe they are a little more girly but I think you could go either way.

Love the skirt. I think velvet trim would be great. I'm making the Barcelona skirt in September. So I'll let you know how it goes.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

I want to see the haircut, too :) The booties do look a little girly, but not overly so. I have a friend who just had a son, and she has no problem with girly colors. She says that she wants to raise her son to be a metro-sexual anyway :D

8:33 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

I think the booties would suit boy or girl, they are very 'fallish' looking with the beautiful browns and greens.
The skirt is very pretty. And I would love to see the new hair do ;-)

10:05 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

The booties are lookin' kinda girly to me but then I was told that mine look girly and those are just blue and green and white. I love the skirt. Gosh it's been forever since I made clothes for myself but I do always prefer the handmade since I get exactly what I want. I think contrasty piping would look fab but maybe I've watch too much Poirot. ;)

6:15 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Super cute booties! They're on my to-knit list.

I'm impressed by the skirt. I had great dreams of making a skirt or two from the Sew What Skirts book for the summer, but the summer is practically over already! Craziness...

Hopefully I'll see you at WI Sheep & Wool. :-)

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those booties are adorable! I think they're pretty gender-neutral.

2:25 AM  
Blogger hook and needle said...

Ack! Adorable booties... it makes my womb ache for another baby!! :) I think girl, but only because I picture a cute tomboy girl with pigtails and a frog in her hands. Otherwise, I think it could go either way.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Di said...

I love the yarn you used for the Saartje's booties - I made them but just with one strap and then discovered I had made 2 left feet!! Back to the drawing board!!

Your skirt is really great - more beautiful fabric!

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Booties are adorable! Slightly girly, but I would put them on a boy too.

And, would love to see the hair!

3:56 PM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

I think those (absolutely gorgeous) booties would be great on a boy or girl! I can just see them kickin' out from under a pair of jeans or khaki pants with a cute brown or red "Polo" shirt...

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful booties and cute skirt!

10:22 PM  
Blogger Di said...

Thank you for the comments over at my blog! I am enjoying reading your blog! I really do love the yarn you used for the booties!!

5:51 PM  
Blogger jk said...

Adorable little version of these booties ~ now I *really* need to try this pattern!

5:41 AM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

I have definitely been eyeing that pattern. Those booties are too cute. And oh how you tempt us with visuals of your new haircut. Show and Tell.

9:39 AM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

Fabulous booties! The colors are beautiful!
I love love love your skirt....I meant to make one all summer....where did the time go?
I sure hope you got really drunk this weekend and had someone take a photo of you and your haircut! :)

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home