Peaknit

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

And when I am not collecting yarn - I knit.

koolhaas
Koolhaas so far...

I started Jared Flood of brooklyntweed's fabulous, architechtural hat from the new Holiday Knits published by Interweave. It is called Koolhaas, and was inspired by a library in Seattle - gorgeous photos and the story behind the design can be found on his blog here. Link over - I'll wait...isn't it breathtaking? I so impressed with the duplicity of this pattern - so complicated but yet so simple. I have been employing the cabling without a cable needle method - this has been a time saver.

I think I am in love with cables. I think they flow so naturally. I am using Tahki Yarns Savoy - it is 52% silk, I like the sheen. Jared used something decadent with yak fiber - and Sundara (I think in green tea) - so my next yarn collection stop will include some Sundara, this hat would make a nice holiday knit - hence the name of the magazine, eh? Darn - I missed every skein I wanted at Sundara - I sent an e-mail 8 minutes after it was up - I was robbed. :)

I also need to get back to casting on that cursed Jaywalker again for my Harvest Sock Swap pal - it's on my to do list. My partner got in touch with me - squee - so everything is in motion. I hope to send the Embossed Leaves sock out to my other single sock swap pal this week - I hope the pattern is complicated enough to qualify for something fun but tricky. Personally, I love this sock.

On other yarn collecting news, my Fratello Kit came yesterday - de-light-ful! The yarn seriously looks like coffee with a little bit of cream swirled in. The pattern is such a professional quality and the laminated chart - ingenious! Marjan also included a few chocolate covered coffee beans - I'm not a coffee lover (fountain soda all the way!) - but what a nice little bribe for someone who is. I think Yarnissima has another winner, and with Wollmeise - where can I go wrong?? Which reminds me, I need to cast on a second Firestarter as well. If you have missed out, be sure to join the KAL here - send me an e-mail and I'll gladly hook you up.

fratelloyarn
yummy latte fratello

18 Comments:

Blogger Knitterella said...

That hat is really, really cool. I think I need to get that magazine just for that pattern alone!

Love your color choice!

3:54 PM  
Blogger Cheesehead With Sticks said...

Lovin the hat! I was eyeing it up on his blog as well. Now I might be eying it a bit more.

And if you keep up with all this Firestarter talk, I may have to knit my own while I am desperately waiting for the release of Digitessa.

6:43 PM  
Blogger sharon said...

You make me laugh.
Having seen your hat knit up inspires me to cast on my own - it looked to hard (yet i dove into the firestarter). I am loving cabling without a needle and am currently using it for the 'I Love Gansey' pattern from Six Sox Kal for my harvest sock swap.
I am trying really hard to stick to my resolution not to buy yarn (sock clubs don't count)

7:15 PM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

The hat is gorgeous! LOVE the fratello kit! A bit out of my price range right now, though. Maybe in the next few months...unless digitessa comes out first. Oh my. Yum! I'm so glad your HSS partner got in touch with you. :)

8:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love, love, love that hat. So pretty!

9:41 PM  
Blogger Auntly H said...

Well, now I have to buy Holiday Knits. I was so busy resisting because last year's was reprints from the magazine (which I collect) that I didn't notice there were NEW patterns. This one alone is worth buying the special edition.

I'm so glad your Fratello made it! I can't start it for a while, but I am really looking forward to it.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Love the hat! I love knitting hats! I caved and just bought the fratello kit - it looks fabulous!

7:02 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

I love the Koolhaas hat! I think that Jared used Shokay's Pure Yak Down, which is sold at PureKnits.
http://www.pureknits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_116&products_id=355

9:34 AM  
Blogger Molly Bee said...

I'm going to have to try that hat (darn you)! What a cool pattern!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

Your hat looks awesome! I think I like your picture even better than the professional one!

I'm sorry I finished my firestarters already, or I'd join the along. I could always start again, i guess...

1:49 PM  
Blogger Diana @ Photodee said...

Awesome job on the hat so far!! I think I will have to try it. I am sorta scared to cable without a cable needle, it just seems dangerous to me somehow...
Did you get your October STR package yet?

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I so wanted to tackle Koolhaas! I'm glad you say it's tackle-able.

2:40 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Doesn't cabling w/o a cable needle make you feel so special?? Your hat is amazing--that pattern is the entire reason I searched out the magazine!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Abby said...

wow... what a gorgeous hat...
and thanx heaps for the cable needle less cable instructions... who knew!!!
luv Abby

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this hat pattern! So very cool!

11:03 PM  
Blogger Minerva Turkey said...

I love the way this hat is knitting up. It is on my to knit list....along with everything else in this issue. :)

5:54 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

yeah, really is breathtaking! It's gonna be amazing!

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is beautiful! I just found your blog when I was googling cable without a cable needle for koolhaas and I'm curious. I can manage to cable without needle for all the twists except for the RPC. How do you get the stitch to hold in back without the extra bit of yarn that makes it look a bit wonky? Thanks in advance!

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home