Peaknit

Saturday, November 03, 2007

The Harvest saga sock continues

jaycontinues

So I am nearly back to where I was when I had to rip back the whole darn thing. I went up a 1/2 a needle size and the sock subseqiently went from striping to it's current more pooley state. I'd be a big fat liar if I didn't say I liked the striping effect a bit more - but thankfully, the colorway (Punkinhead by Yarn Pirate) is subtle, so I don't think the pooling is awful - not like this, anyways. However, "pooley love" is in the eye of the beholder, right? Somehow, I have it stuck in my head that pooley = defective - where did I get this notion? It is unfounded, right?

So what do you think? I love the sock, I would wear it, even in this pooley state - but what I really hope is that my pal likes it. She said she wanted to try a Jaywalker - so I was guiltily thinking - "wow, easy peasey" - that was before I cast it on 4 different times, and completely frogged it from the middle of the foot. Ha, the fiber gods are laughing at me for being so cocky. Shhya. With any luck (and clearly this clever sock is requiring some good karma), I should wrap it up by the end of the weekend so I can put the package together. I am not sure what I will do if I try to pull it on again and it is too small...again. I'm thinking fire must be involved at that point. There will definitely a sock-rifice if it doesn't fit - and lots more of cursing...

Holy Sh*t! I have f-ed up again - really - look at my sock and compare it to the old sock - instead of a ribbed heel as the pattern dictates - I have made a stockinette heel. WTF? This sock is trying to kill me...

**please note that I noticed this error as I am about to start the toe - yep, aint ripping it back - aint doing it. Instead I will go to bed and scream into my pillow.

**disclaimer - wait - I don't hate the stockinette heel - I like stockinette - crisp, simple stockinette - but it isn't what the pattern calls for so I am just pissed at myself for not paying attention...ugh.

24 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I don't mind the pooling either. It's like you said. Subtle enough for it to be pleasant.

Your pal is going to love them.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

It's a very pretty colorway. Pooling or not, I'm sure your pal will be thrilled to receive a handknit sock that actually fits. Fit really is the key element.

7:07 PM  
Blogger sharon said...

Gorgeous - and the pooling isn't that obvious. Keep on going!!!

8:22 PM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

Hmmm... I liked the striping better, too, but the pooling isn't bad. It's okay pooling... ;) Don't you hate it when yarn and pattern misbehave?

9:39 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Your sock looks great! "Just keep knitting, knitting, knitting"....to quote, Dorie on "Nemo" - because that's what us Moms do! Quote the movie that we have listened to and watched 25 gazillion times.....Seriously, it looks great - keep going! :)

10:07 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

O.K. so I took a look at the b4 and after. And Although I agree with you I liked the stripping better. The pooling does not bother me either --it still looks cool.

You are so funny! Sock trying to kill you:) Although come to think of it I might feel the same way if this happened to me:)

1:06 AM  
Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

*pats pats*

4:24 AM  
Blogger cbknits80 said...

Yikes. I think the pooling is okay...and no worries with the heel. I say finish the sock, drop it in the mail, and move on to something else :)

4:55 AM  
Blogger nj2 said...

Unfortunately, I would be obliged to rip it out, with great quantities of bad language and blue smoke, but it would have to go. It would have become a personal issue for me now and would hate myself if I let the yarn win. Okay, I am more than a little OC when it comes to needlework, but I cannot help it. Too bad this doesn't run over a little into the housekeeping area...

6:31 AM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Personally, I like the sock - pooling and all. I don't mind pooling on socks...I think it gives them character. If I were your pal I'd enjoy them.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Auntly H said...

This sock is an example of good pooling. I've seen/experienced bad pooling and this is not it. Knit on, my friend. As for the heel, I say leave it and put a big note on the pattern for your pal so she knows to alter the pattern to your specifications when completing the pair.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Mim said...

Okay, here's my two cents for what it's worth. I like the pooling but, I think the striping version shows off the pattern better. Don't throw the sock at me please. Unless, of course, you want me to knit it instead. Then by all means throw it! LOL

8:44 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Just call it a modification and be done with it:)

1:53 PM  
Blogger Minerva Turkey said...

The jaywalker pattern kicked my a** too! I never blogged about the experience because it would definitely be a R rated post.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

It looks good to my eyes! The yarn is yummy. Your pal is lucky and the heel looks fine, too.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep going. You're going to get it done!

12:55 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Sorry that you're still struggling :( One of my favorite pairs of socks is *really* pooly, but I love them anyway. Don't worry about the pooling!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Jennie said...

I love pooly goodness. I think your sock looks fab! EEEpp with how it's trying to drive you mad. I hope you beat the crap out of it, lol and make it behave. Do keep us posted. :)

9:43 AM  
Blogger wiscjennyann said...

I think it looks beautiful-- I love the colors and the random things they're doing. Besides, since every knitter is a unique snowflake, your partner would have probably had to knit the other sock 4+ times trying to replicate the perfect stripes you had going. So you're just taking one for the team! :D

Love the heel too! Hey, why do your stockinette heels look so nice and un-floppy? I need to take a lesson from you!

9:51 AM  
Blogger Molly Bee said...

Ohh! I like it WITH the pooling. What a great autumn colorway!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

*deep breath* stockinette heels are great; and modified patterns just show how much extra time you put into the project! ;) I'm sure it will be great (if you don't toss it into a huge burn barrel in frustration...not that I've ever done that...) ;)

11:19 AM  
Blogger Cindy/Snid said...

repeat after me:

It's a design element, It's a design element...

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the stripig but LOVE the pooling! And I agree the heel is a design element. It looks wonderful. I would love to be presented with the sock.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

I have to say Peaknit--I questioned your sanity way back when you first announced you were doing a Jaywalker. I think I wondered and maybe even asked, "What Are You Thinking?"
This is not the first trouble you've had with a Jinxed Jaywalker. Really! Were you smoking crack when you thought "easy peasey"? I am not trying to say I told you so, at all. Just thinking out loud. :)

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home