Peaknit

Saturday, November 10, 2007

I Want Handspun

Sing the title to the tune of I Want Candy by 80's sensation Bow Wow Wow.

funkyroving
Funky Carolina Poison Blue-Faced Leistecer

parfait
Zen String African Superwash in Parfait

funky1
Funky Carolina Handspun in Cole

teahandspun
The Gabby Knitter Handspun in Strawberry-Peach Tea

So I have been collecting some handspun and to-be-hand-spun roving over the past month. I am so curious. I never thought - no, I told myself "stay away from the spinning wheel..." but here I am looking wistfully at hand spun and wanting to make some. I am seeing whimsical hats and mittens, scarves and socks, oh my. I signed up for a drop spindle class at The Sow's Ear - I have my spindle ready - I have a teeny roving pile prepped...look out, here I come!

And since I love a rationalization...um, who can I blame for this spiral into spinning? Well, for starters, Carrie from Funky Carolina for being so amazing. Then there is Tina who made this recently (scroll down). And Christine, my wonderful non-blogging knitting pen-pal who provided me the spindle and some roving. Then there is Dianne at work who keeps mentioning how we need to go try spinning wheels somewhere (by the way, Dianne, I heard of a place today). And Elemmaciltur who has started spin and won't stop talking about it - oh wait - I mean he has stopped talking to spin per the last Knitter's Uncensored podcast - he is now banned from spinning during recording so he can speak:) And Hello Yarn - wow. Oh who else? I'm sure you know who you are. *giggle*

Now, if I ever actually spin something, you will be the first to know.

17 Comments:

Blogger Auntly H said...

You're not helping me resist! Maybe you can just supply me with hand-spun and I can keep doing all my other crafts? I'll make you books in exchange..... (assuming you don't do that yet)

2:59 PM  
Blogger Gramknits said...

Hey, that isn't far away. When do you have days off coming? All the roving is great but I like the top one the best. Dramatic...Grrrrr.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm starting to slide into spinning as well. I'm a little scared. Gorgeous roving. Get a drop spindle. They aren't that pricey....

12:57 AM  
Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Hahahaha, let the spinning bug bites you. But be warned: It will bite you hard and won't let you go again. ;-p

Oh, and I'll definitely talk about spinning on the next episode.

3:07 AM  
Blogger Knitterella said...

The roving is beautiful! I've 'spinned' before, but it is very tempting - especially with roving so beautiful! I bet you'll love it! Look forward to seeing your creations!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

This will be fun to watch :)

12:14 PM  
Blogger Molly Bee said...

Oooh! That's how I got started! Down at The Ear with spindle in hand. You'll love it! Next stop! Spinning wheel!

12:23 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Be careful, that spinning thing is such a very slippery slope!!
I don't blame you though. Who can resist those cotton-y candy-ish rovings, and seeing the gorgeous yarn that some bloggers out there are producing, it is all just too much.

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum - Yum - Yum, that roving is gorgeous! Come succumb to the dark-side, spinning is oh so much fun! =)

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty! I'm resisting the spinning...so far...

10:39 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

I'm proud to be even a small part of your slide into spinning (insert evil laugh here). Good luck with the spinning class - I think you'll love it - once you stop dropping your spindle on your toes. ;)

1:41 PM  
Blogger KnittingMoose said...

That's one thing, spinning, that I've so far been able to resist. Too many things to knit! I'll be watching to see your progress!

9:18 PM  
Blogger Minerva Turkey said...

Oh looks like fun. I am also taking the handspun dive. Let's see how long my credit card holds out. :)

Have fun!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Diana @ Photodee said...

Enjoy! I will watch you to see if I want to try my hand at spinning! I think I would take up dyeing before spinning! Those roving colors are pretty!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Krista McCurdy said...

ah yes, spinning is addictive---but be warned! After you get drop spindling down, you will want a wheel...or two...

p.s. isn't Funky Carolina's stuff gorgeous?

5:34 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

oh spinning!!!
i have never done it, but will love watching you!!! :)

10:27 AM  
Blogger Jennie said...

Yummy fibery goodness!

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home