Peaknit

Sunday, November 18, 2007

sugary sweetness

dahlia

At last, a finished project. I love that moment, when the last end is woven in and I can pack my yarn scraps away, put the needles where they belong and feel accomplished. My teeth almost ache with the sweetness of the victory. Usually by the end of the second sock, I won't lie to you, I am glad to be done. I've been making good on my attempt to finish pairs rather than singles - I present the "dahlia". Lots of twisted stitches. I think that twisted stitches really define each little row of knots. This particular pattern was exclusive to Sundara Yarn's now defunct Petals Collection. It is fitting that I am waiting for my last installment.

dahliaheel

The yarn I chose was also Sundara but not the skein that was paired with the pattern. Grape Hyacinth. I enjoyed this sock - it took just over a week - I could measure my progress in 6 row charts. Now, here's the question - do I now need to buy a sweater to match? I have made several great pairs of socks only to realize when I am done - what the hell can I wear those with? Would it be too Beetle Juice to wear all black and my electric blue socks? *giggle* Seriously, my recent Firestarter led to the purchase and return of two blue tops at the Gap that didn't quite match. I wanted to blurt out "I knit" when the salesgirl asked "is there anything wrong with these?" when I returned them - talk about a missed opportunity to see a dumbfounded head tilt - doh! But seriously, how matchy is too matchy?

What's up with all of the blue?

So, what's next up? Well, Belvedere, for one - my half of a pair created by Kirsten over at Through the Loops. I. can't. wait. Then there are holiday projects - my minds moves faster than my knitting needles unfortunately. Would being sick from project ideas welling up in your head be reason to call in to work? I thought so! *naughty knitter*

It might be appropriate if I worked for Dunder Mifflin, eh? But then Michael did sacrifice himself and reported to work after he burned his feet on a George Foreman...Pam, will you butter my feet? Instead, I could say, "Dan, could you sharpen my knitting needle? Wind my yarn? I won't be well until my ends are woven..." The Office fans, I know you feel me. "Give me a break, give me a break, break me off a piece of that...Fancy. Feast."

Totally gratutitous, yet speaking of Fancy Feast - doesn't Ernest look just, well, earnest?

ernest

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks look great!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Those are beautiful socks. Too bad its an exclusive pattern. :(
And yes, Ernest looks very earnest.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Wow. Those are beautiful socks. I'm so impressed. I rarely have the mojo to do something that intricate.

5:27 PM  
Blogger sharon said...

I love your question about too many projects making one too ill to work. That's the way I was feeling last week. Now much better
I love the blue socks and who says socks have to match clothing!!!

5:31 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Love that shade of blue so much, just lovely. And I totally condone buying clothes to match hand knit socks!

5:49 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Beautiful socks!!

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...that's what she said..." (couldn't resist another quote)...beautiful socks, by the way

7:23 PM  
Blogger Auntly H said...

Fabulous! I say go Beetlejuice. Or keep in mind that a whole lot of people can't distinguish colors. A blue shirt and blue socks match to most (even if you know they're a little off when you hold them together). Plus, matching is overrated.

p.s. the head tilt comment made me laugh. thanks.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great socks! I'm sad that Petals is done too. But I'm secretly glad I don't have to make the decision to cut back.

1:47 AM  
Blogger Jean said...

Oooh, those socks are gorgeous! I love "I knit!' as an explanation for why store bought stuff just might not be doing it for ya. It's totally reasonable to us, but the confusion from the salespeople would be quite amusing, too. My theory on wearing colorful hand knit socks is the same as wearing red shoes: Just wear 'em as a neutral. I don't quite know why, but it totally works.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Beautiful socks! I wouldn't worry about your socks matching your sweater too much. I go with the "close enough" rule!

That's a great picture of your cat!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Those socks are breathtaking! I hope she offers these patterns for sale to the rest of us, someday.

12:42 PM  
Blogger sheepish one said...

l.o.v.e. the socks, yarn, pattern, everything!!

1:54 PM  
Blogger KarenK said...

Your Dahlia/Grape Hyacinth socks look fabulous! And what a great kitty picture. I'm going to miss Petals, too. Best sock club ever.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To match colors, bring one of the socks with you to the store, in a Ziploc[R] bag.

As others wrote, there's no great need to match the socks; wear them as a color accent.

7:55 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

wow, really, that should feel like victory! those are gorgeous!!!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

Gorgeous socks!! I'm feelin' the twisted stitches love too -- the firestarters started me on that kick, I think.

Don't know what to tell ya on the matchy-ness...I'm wearing a tan sweater with brown tank & my orange/yellow Molly socks (with blue jeans & birks, of course)... I'd rather save $$ for more yarn than buy a matching top (this week, at least! lol)

Maybe take your socks with you next time & hold them up to the shirts... that would be hilarious!! ;)

9:06 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Gorgeous socks! I really love the color! I'm always on the "look-out" for solid color things now, that might match yarns....isn't that strange? It doesn't seem strange at all to me! :)But seriously, I've noticed that I tend to buy more solid color items so that my hand-knit socks will match.....it's a sickness, truly it is!

4:38 AM  
Blogger Knitterella said...

Those are beautiful! Such a pretty blue too!

My mind moves much faster then my knitting too. I'm already onto project 2 and 3 (in my mind) before I get project 1 off the needles. I always just hope that I don't forget the other ideas before I get the first one done!

You are so funny with your Office quotes! Love it!

7:20 AM  
Blogger knittingma said...

The socks are gor-geous. I'm slightly jealous that the pattern is exclusive to that club...

I say you should just wear whatever you want with your blue socks. Matching is over-rated. Just show those socks off in any way you can. :)

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are so beautifully done!

9:12 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

I will have to look into dictionary to wide up my adjectives, 'cause your socks leave me breathless!

2:16 AM  
Blogger Minerva Turkey said...

Beautiful color. A perfect match of yarn and pattern. Congrats!

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home