Peaknit

Friday, March 07, 2008

Flat Peaknit **(and a Scout Spoiler)**

"Stanley Lambchop is just a normal boy, with a normal younger brother named Arthur, and two normal parents. That is, until a bulletin board falls on him during the night and flattens him to half an inch thick!"

51DTjrhQ-%2BL__AA240_

I was thinking earlier this week I was just so deflated, someone could slide me under a door, or pop me in a mailbox slot - when it dawned on me - I feel like Flat Stanley. My daughter has been working on a school project with her gracious Chicago-based aunt and uncle - like the travels of Flat Scout from awhile back...so maybe this is where my "flatness" analogy sprouted. But surely you have had that kind of day? Week? Just so worn down, worn out...I just know you have. I think it's a combination of the weather, last week's flu, the fact no one else cleans at my house, too much work and not enough daytime hours...No disrepect to any male readers, but I think (as a working mom), us ladies just have too many hats. When our kids are struggling, it's personal. When the house is a mess on wheels, it's personal. Too often, I think I feel like everything reflects on me somehow. It might sound nutty - so I am a flat nut...pea-nut that is.

The hat I like to wear on days like these is "knitter" - I have found my knitting to be my sanity. It may sound silly and contrite - but seriously, knitting gives me the calm of yoga right on the quiet of my own couch...Thank God for yarn.

And thank God for my rockin Scout Swag this week. It is my last installment of the club - and I think it is the best!

The yarn is Raspberry Sorbet...marchscout

I'm all about pink - what a breath of fresh air during such a downer week. And look - my favorite yarn "posing" spot is visible - some snow melted, and there was our back deck. Nice.

But then we also got a scarf stick from Romi...romi-oh

The gorgeousness is lost in translation - but omg, it is breathtaking - a little carves heart atop a dark wood swirly stick, I could have cried when I opened the box. Lovely. Perfect. Thanks Scout for making my week a little less 2-dimensional!! *ahhh*

And did I mention...Thank God it is Friday?

21 Comments:

Blogger Marisol said...

You know! I think we are kindered spirit you and I:) I feel pretty flat, tired and worn our plenty... Yesterday was one of those days for me. I am so right ther with you--Its the Knitting --that helps me keep my balance:)

1:09 PM  
Blogger Ella said...

Ouch, honey. I hate days/weeks like that - where you feel like you're shouldering the load for everything - it sucks. I've been feeling a bit like this lately too - for me it's just this time of year. Knitting helps, and I usually go get myself some paperwhite and daffodil bulbs for forcing... set them on my bedside table to wake up to... it helps. Plus they smell heavenly. :D

2:04 PM  
Blogger Aline said...

Hi Peaknit! Hope you feel better soon. I have one word: delegate.

Happy knitting.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound "flat out"! It must be the time of year; everyone I talk to seems to be in this sort of funk. But more daylight after this weekend - that's a positive. And that yarn and stick are absolutely gorgeous!

2:39 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Did you ever see the picture of Clint Eastwood with Flat Stanley at the Oscars? Priceless. My kids both had Flat Stanley projects, I love that one dimensional little pal...

2:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm feeling that way lately too. Glad to know I'm not alone. But not happy that we're all feeling this. I'm trying to be more active and do some fun things. But what i really want to do is nap. Good idea to knit my way out of it. That just might be the key.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Poor Peaknit! I understand the pain-- I had a week like that last week.

I'm glad you had some pretty yarn to cheer you up, though!

3:46 PM  
Blogger knittingma said...

Oh, my. I've been feeling quite flat as well, lately. You're so right--us women, we take everything to heart so quickly. Whenever anything goes wrong, I feel that it's somehow reflective of me or something I've done that day.

Yes, thank God for yarn! And thank God for *pink* yarn! That swag is super fantastic. :)

6:52 PM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

What? That yarn could not possibly be any more gorgeous than that. I am entranced and once again, so incredibly jealous.

I can't believe you burned me like that on the online yarn purchasing, you are too funny. I'll probably get mine first, though. Now that I know it is a competition, game on, Stacey:) Just kidding, I will lose everytime.

You won't have any problems with the stranding but you know how to get in touch if you need help. I would love to help you anytime. I can't wait to get that yarn. (longest comment ever)

8:03 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I feel your angst. Yes, we ladies do tend to take everything personally - it's exhausting to care so much.

Seriously. What would we do without yarn?

That scarf stick would work great as a closure for Lu..... You know you want to get that kit : )

9:35 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

oh, we have done flat stanley twice. and received him from two others, twice. i actually never want to see flat stanley again! :)
oh yeah. knitting calms the nerves and sings to the soul. can't understand why everyone doesn't do it!
cheers to you and a cheery spring!
that yarn is going to be heavenly to work with!

9:52 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Gorgeous yarn! Yes, I so know what you mean!! People wonder why I knit..to keep sane I say..although some ask..hmm..it's working??? LOL! Take care!

10:03 PM  
Blogger Minerva Turkey said...

That pink yarn is amazing. Pink is such a hard color to capture well, and Scout has done a great job with this one. :) I look forward to seeing you knit this skein into a pair of lovely socks.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Scoutj said...

You are SOOOOOO welcome!!! I loved this one the best too.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

11:22 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Were we sisters at birth? Maybe separated? I've felt this way all week too. I haven't even put forth the effort to blog. My DH is wonderful in helping, but no one seems to get it that if the kids looked disheveled, if the house is a wreck, etc....it looks like it's Mom's fault. DH doesn't understand this.
Knitting is like yoga too. Thank God for yarn, and sweet blog-friends like you! :)

11:26 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

You're not nutty at all -- I hear you, girl!!!

2:58 PM  
Blogger sheepish one said...

i completely understand your post. everything. i can hardly do anything but sit here at the computer and browse ravelry... i have so much to do nagging at me, but still, i sit...

i hope this week is better for you. certainly that pink loveliness should lift you up a bit! i have yarn envy.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Gramknits said...

The yarn is great and when you are feeling particularly flat you might think spinning wheel and see if that puffs you up a bit. It does me and I am thinking of a spinning wheel for you!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Auntly H said...

{{{{{{{{peaknit}}}}}}}

I hope the 3-dimensionality returns soon.

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty yarn! We do the Flat Stanley thing here too. Hope you are feeling more inflated soon!

1:00 AM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

Flat Stanley...we'll have to check him out. I am right there with ya on being burned out. I alternate feeling pathetic & wanting to giving up with being angry & wanting to lash out (mostly at dh...after all, it's all the man's fault, right?). ;)

Seriously though, it's hard to find the proper balance. Thank God for knitting; it's where I find my "zen."

That and looking at your gorgeous yarn... *wink*

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home