Peaknit

Friday, February 22, 2008

K.I.S.S.

As in, keep it simple stupid.

11CHA163ZSL

Elizabeth Zimmerman. At last, I broke down and purchased this book. After looking at it for a month - gosh, no discounts on this gem, I had to get it. I wasn't able to find it at a local bookstore... lucky for me, Lakeside Fibers had a copy for me yesterday - I marched right to the books. Success.

I browsed through it last night, what a delight. It reads like a family scrapbook - with "recipes" scattered throughout. I wish I could have known EZ, she just sounds like a neat women with the most unique and exciting history. And for knitting - what a pioneer! EZ's books always seemed so old fashioned - and then after much stalking over at brooklyntweed - clearly EZ is an inspiration for him, he says so - Jared Flood makes garter stitch looks so freaking special, so basic, yet so gorgeous. I have been missing the boat. Up to now, I have failed to see the value of the true mothers of knitting, I need to slow down and consider these women. It is maybe an "ah-ha moment" that perhaps knitting isn't just about the "next best thing", the latest sock yarn, the latest pattern - it's time to appreciate the basics. Thus k.i.s.s...

So now the Baby Suprise Jacket is in my sights - and coincidentally I have fallen into an amazing swap over at Ravelry -(insert drumroll) EblinaBirks offered to spin me some custom yarn for the BSJ - omg - an offer straight from the knitting Gods!! She knew how much yarn the BSJ would take, and set to dying and spinning, I feel a little humbled by this fabulous generosity. Again, just another reminder of how much you knitters rock!

11 Comments:

Blogger Kirsten said...

That should be one gorgeous BSJ! Lucky you!
Enjoy that book.

5:32 AM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Oh my, a BSJ knit from handspun - Lucky little recipient (and you, of course)! I loved reading the knitting book, and left it in the bathroom one time. My DH picked it up and started looking at it - not the patterns, but reading the stories. He said he liked it! Amazing! Just don't let him know I said it on the internet.....:)

6:57 AM  
Blogger Hunny said...

I have knitting around and it's great. It has basically her life story in it. You have to see the sweaters in this book! I just ordered knitter's almanac. I am looking forward to making the baby sweater on 2 needles.

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SOOO jealous that you can just "pop" into one of my favorite shops! Then again, if I could "pop" into to any LYS, my stash might overflow!
You may want to consider a trip to Camp. EZ's daughter has a fabulous camp and living in WI means you wouldn't have to travel far.

8:24 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I'm doing the BSJ right now! It is utterly bizarre but I am just trying to trust her method...

8:38 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

I'm intrigued by the BSJ and one day might actually get to knit it! So many wonderful projects, but never enough time - as always!
For now I'm knitting for me ;-)

1:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

A BSJ from handspun is going to be divine! Lucky duck!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

I really want to make EZ's February baby sweater and had visions of knitting it actually in February. But my Knitter's Almanac has not yet surfaced in the unpacking. Oh well. Can't wait to see the handspun for your BSJ!

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love EZ! Can't wait to see what you knit from this. I adore her books!

5:18 PM  
Blogger Knitterella said...

Is that the book the BSJ is in? Now even more reason to get that book. I got one of EZs DVDs over Christmas and it's great. She's just amazing!

Knitters do ROCK! You know, I've never meet a mean knitter either. Knitters are always so generous! It's a great group to be part of!

6:20 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

That book is fabulous. I love all the biographical material. I'm dying to get a few more of her titles, especially Knitting Around.

The BSJ in handspun will be fabulous.

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home