Peaknit

Sunday, February 10, 2008

center square - check!

central3

I finished my Center Square last night - what a quick little project to learn some stranding on. I really like how cozy and thick this hat - but gosh, my finger tips hurt a bit - is this from stranding? (or excessive Guitar Hero?) My DD models it - fits her nicely - but I expect it'll just get thrown into the "anybody need a hat?" pile. I have a crate full of outdoor gear that I keep in our closet that comes in handy this time of year - 'nother one for the pile.

central2
I may take ADD Knitter's advice and try the Endpaper Mitts next - I have some extrafine merino in pink and green from a Secret Pal that could be perfect for more stranding experimentation.

I hate to turn this blog into the "weather channel" - but another crummy day in WI. We were supposed to greet at church this morning, so we all piled in the car at 7am - which is pretty amazing already - but we couldn't get to town, the truck was all over the road, glare ice - egads, give me a break. I was thinking the pastor would understand if we didn't risk the kids being stranded and freezing in the waaaay below zero temps - so back home we came in our Sunday best to sit on the couch with dumbfounded faces...what do we do now? So I cleaned the refrigerator - it is really something what you find in there. A couple of Coke Zeros later. I'm ready to wash the floors...stop it, I know you are jealous of my boredom inspired motivation.

412ZMGEDXJL__AA240_
I did finish another book Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock, pretty good book with a bizarre little surprise at the end. The book tells a tragic story of a little girl and her sister, Emma. The setting is in the South but it seems like Walton's Mountain with all the "caint" as in can't - the improper language seem to emphasize the poor socio-economics of this family - rampant with abuse, alcoholism, depression and survival.

21 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I won't tell you how it's blue skies and about 60 degrees here. I promise, I won't tell.

1:29 PM  
Blogger KnittyLynn said...

-5 is just ridiculous. :P

The hat is great! good job. :)

1:38 PM  
Blogger cbknits80 said...

Good work with the hat!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Gramknits said...

Both the hat and the book look good. Don't worry about the refrigerator. I found myself cleaning the ceiling fan yesterday. A winter like this must be good for something if only getting some of that stuff done we have been putting off.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Another oppressive day here in MI too. Thanks for the book recommendation - off to add it to iTunes.

Stay warm...

Oh, and thanks for playing along! You got it right.

4:46 PM  
Blogger mle said...

wow, you knit that up fast! I noticed my fingertips hurt after stranding as well.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Great hat! Is this your first colorwork? It makes my head hurt as well as my hands!
We have an "outdoor" container that holds all our goodies for playing in the snow/ice.

4:58 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

The hat is adorable, it's in my queue as well. I don't find stranding hurts my hands in any way. I wonder what we do differently. Endpaper mitts will be a fun little project. They make an excellent "learning" project for Fair Isle.

5:23 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

The hat looks great.
Thanks for the tip on the book, I'm adding it to my list.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

Snow upon snow upon snow gets tedious. We moved an eensy bit north (only 10 miles!) a year or so ago. We are now on the cusp of a snow belt in MA.

Poor hubby's glow on needing to use the snowblower was extinguished in December.

That hat is gorgeous. Great job on the stranding.

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great hat! Yes, do the endpapers next!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Minerva Turkey said...

The hat looks fantastic. I am working on the Inga hat to learn stranding. I definitely recommend it. I think I will try the Endpaper Mitts next as well. They look like a lot of fun.

Oh and it is 75 degrees here today!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

Go for it with the endpapers! You will succeed, just look at your beautiful hat.
That book sounds a little too depressing for me. I am always looking for something a bit more lighthearted. Thanks for sharing your reading, as always.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

great hat!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Center Square is one of my favorite patterns -- I LOVE the colors you chose! Definitely try the Endpapers...they're great stranded practice, plus you'll wear them all the time.

Oh, and your description of sitting on the couch in your church clothes having no idea what to do cracked me up!!

3:45 PM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

Wow, you've been busy! Love the yarn for your newest sweater project! ;) You needn't feel guilty about having so many projects ready, what if you get snowed in totally next week? And have to knit sweaters to keep you all warm? ;)

At least the fridge is clean, right? lol

The hat looks great, btw!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Molly Bee said...

LOVE the hat and can't wait to see the mittens! I love stranded work, but my tension still isn't perfect yet. Will have to try those mitts though. What a great pattern!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

It would take me forever to knit a hat like that, I just can't get the hang of intarsia ! Loved your Saturday post, can't wait to see some sweaters;-)

10:42 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Nice job on the hat! I always thought it was a fun pattern.

It sounds like we need more snow here. My house is pretty messy :)

9:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi! thanks for visiting my blog, and leaving a comment. I enjoyed reading your blog and will be checking in often! :)

11:35 AM  
Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

You gotta slow down girl! Not only can I not knit as fast as you, I can't read as fast as you. But keep the book reviews coming. I love 'em.

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home