Peaknit

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Good things come to those who wait...and beg

tatamikit

I recently blogged that I was hoping to find the Tatami Kimono pattern and some Sundara sport weight (now discontinued) to go with - and shucks if I didn't get both this week from fabulous Ravelers! Librarian Knits was willing to trade her Tatami pattern for a spare Yarn Harlot Casts Off book I had. And then I was able to buy some gorgeous Sundara in Stormy from The Lovely Emily - for basically buy-4-get-one-free - so I am even sporting wonderful savings on a project I have pined over forever. I'm stoked. Of course,I have not forgotten that I have never finished an adult sweater but here I sit on this new kit, as well as yarn for the Tangled Yoke, the Bristow and possibly the Drops Jacket - all the while I huddle accross the room, staring at the pieces of the Noro Cardigan that I am afraid to seam. Oh, this so has to be the year of the sweater, huh?

centersquare

I did get the nerve to try something new this weekend - I cast on and am over half finished with a stranded Center Square hat. I've been meaning to try this since Susan made one (or two?). I have high hopes of trying to get one of Hello Yarns Fiddlehead mitten kits - which debut this week - and I figured knitting two yarns on honking needles would qualify me for this...why? *crickets chirping*

Anyways - I am also hoping to gain courage to try Endpaper Mitts, And maybe an awesome Little Inga hat, knit here by Hello Yarn - I think it is the color choices that suck me in. The Center Square hasn't been intimidating a bit so far, so maybe stranding is possible. I guess well see how those floats work out once I cast off - I have read some technique on this but gotta wonder if they will be too long, too loose, too tight....we'll see. So maybe I should not be celebrating stranding success just yet...

*And blogless Christine, for the official record, I look like a dufus in hats too - yet it isn't stopping me from admiring too many of them...doh!

Okay, lastly, the downside. It's is snowing like a fool again today - what is up? It is pretty, I'm thankful to be home and I that don't need to leave tonight - but tomorrow we are expecting 40 mph winds and possibly 40 below zero temps - I vote "enough" - any other midwesterners care to second that vote? sheesh.

p.s. 4 days Twizzler Free however, I did ask my friend if I could buy her some and watch her eat them *giggle* (I make light, but seriously, my mouth watered when I walked by them this a.m. at Kwiktrip...it's a long 6 weeks til Easter folks)

19 Comments:

Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

I see you have reported on the weather around here. It is crazy and I am not looking forward to the bitter cold. I don't mind the snow as much but I live right in the city. You drive a ton more than I do.

You center square looks perfect. That sweater/kimono is going to be so beautiful in that yarn, oh my. You can do it! Seam up that Noro sweater! I know which one that it and it would look so great on you. You will feel so good when it is done.
Be safe and stay warm.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How cool that you could pull together a sweater project from people online! I think this year is definitely the year of the sweater. I just bought the yarn for Tangled Yoke. And I'm looking at the Pearl Buck Swing jacket too. How fun!!!

You should take the plunge. Pop in a movie and seam up that sweater!

7:54 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Yes! The year of the sweater it is!! I too am facing the adult sweater fear and making one too. Good for you! I will be anxiously watching your progress.

Yes, enough already with the crazy weather. We are getting another foot or so ourselves on this side of the lake. And 10 below. Oy. Stay warm and cozy.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Diana @ Photodee said...

Lucky girl! I love the color you snagged! Can't wait to see it come together!!

8:04 PM  
Blogger KnittyLynn said...

Ravelry is amazing! :)

Can't wait to see all the sweaters, just keep thinking of your 'new' wardrobe for this Fall.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

I love the Fiddleheads! Makes me wish I felt ready for color knitting. Soon. But not yet. I'm just across the Lake from you in sunny Michigan..windchill should be 20 degrees warmer here tinght. A balmy 20 below. My nephew is spending his 14th birthday on a Boy Scout sleepover in an igloo they built today. At least he won't wake up to melting snow in his face.

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will second or third or forth or whatever your vote on the weather. Enough is enough.

I am struggling to decide if I really must go to where I am supposed to go tomorrow. It's gonna be freakin cold. The cabin fever is hittin hard!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

We got a little snow yesterday, and the temp is not quite as cold, yet. Ahh, the year of the adult sweater. Yes, I should accomplish one too, I just pulled the old IK knits, loved the Pearl Buck Swing Jacket too! Go Nell! Beautiful yarn for the sweater, and YEAH on the two-colored knitting! I'm jealous. I'm way to scared to do that yet.

5:12 AM  
Blogger cbarnwolf said...

I think we Wisconsinites, should send our winter, to some other part of the country that is less fortunate, and doesn't get snow or cold. I am so ready for this to be over.

I love your knitting. It is sooo pretty.

8:45 AM  
Blogger mle said...

OH yay!! I'm so glad you were able to get the Tatami pattern!! and that yarn is just gorgeous!

9:11 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Do the Endpaper mitts, they are not as hard as they initially appear!

9:50 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

What a great stroke of luck on the Sundara yarn and pattern!

I'll take a little of your snow -- we keep going above 32 and having weird melt-offs that freeze and form treacherous patches on all the side streets.

Have fun with the colorwork! I'm in love with both the endpaper mitts and the fiddlehead mittens.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Oh my I can see that you a very very resourceful knitter! Good for you --that is an awesome score with the Sundara yarn and pattern! I tried looking but I'm not having so much luck... I need to be more persistent or persuassive I suppose:)

I see some very exciting changes lots of new sweaters in your futre, oh and hats, and mitts too! I so want me a pair of those Hello Yarn Mitt kits!

10:10 AM  
Blogger cbknits80 said...

Great find!! You have some exciting knitting coming up and the hat looks great.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Oh, yes, I'm also in the Doofus-hat-wearer department. I know what you mean. :-p

1:57 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

That sweater will be ownderful! I love the yarn you picked.

The twizler things cracks me up! There was some rerun on last week where Kristie Allie was having someone eat donuts so she could watch.

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is going to be a gorgeous Tatami!

11:22 AM  
Blogger KnittingMoose said...

That is so awesome that Ravelry came through for you on that project! How cool is that?! That's a neat sweater, and pretty color yarn!

5:35 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Yay for getting the Tatami Kimono kit! That's one I was anxious to make when it came out, and never did. I hope Sundara can find some sport weight yarn soon!

As for stranding, don't let the first project or two discourage you (although your hat looked nice!). It takes a little bit of practice, but it's well worth it.

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home