Peaknit

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Happy Endings

IMG_1683
a jumble of clapotis

I was kind of late to this party but, at last, my clapotis is off of my needles. The ends are woven in and it is blocking on my bed. As boring as I found this project at times, as long as it took me to get started, and then to get back to it...I do love how it looks, the colors are nice - kind of a pre-February Project Spectrum. One of the pinks is the exact color I would like in a lipstick - such inspiration. I will have to skip off to Target with my new wrap so I can find the lipstick I have been longing for with each repeat of the pinkiness, can you see the one I mean? Could be complimentary on my pale winter face.

IMG_1685

I used Noro Silk Garden in colorway #84 and used size 8 needles. I like the finished look of the Noro but the "rustic" quality of the yarn made those dropped stitches stick together which made for too much individual stitch dropping, I had to pry each stitch out - my fingers numbed. I prefer a sleeker yarn, so next time - if there is such a thing, I would use something less splitty. Maybe a summer scarf, something narrower, not so many increase repeats. Maybe the cornflower Handmaiden sea silk in my stash?

What else did I finish? The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. Another good read - I won't drag on with details but if you like book that takes you there - the smells, the sounds, the sights, vibrant colors - this was a fabulous book for that. The book is a fictional version of events based on a biblical character, Dinah. I have searched for my Bible for Dummies to no avail - and even after a 34-week study of the bible with my pastor - I really don't have any information about Dinah - I am curious now to connect this book with the "real" thing.

I am, challenging myself to read 52 books this year. I decided that one a week would not be a bad number for a working, knitting mom. (I am counting knitting and lusting after yarn as my other "full-time job") I may just have to invent a button for my own little challenge.

Meanwhile, on to my next read - I have a wonderful pile of books to choose from, I can say enough how much Paperbackswap.com rocks. I also just received a book from Cinnamonamon, Outlander. She had blogged about the series one day and when I commented about my curiousity she generously offered up her copy of the first book, which I received yesterday. She also included 2 handmade stitch markers - just because. That is just another reason you bloggers are pretty darn awesome. So for that Cinnamonamon -

makemydayawardsmall

There are some rules for this "make my day award" but heck, I just stole that button because I wanted to share it with my generous blogfriend. Thank you!

Next up might be more shots of my Clap in action - a project that takes this kind of stick-to-it-iveness deserves another gratuitous picture. And what's next? Off to ponder! Have a great week!

32 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I love the clapotis! I completely know what you mean about Noro - great colors, but the texture sometimes turns me off.
Great reading goal....wish I could aspire to this myself! Can there be 36 hours in a day???? :)

6:52 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Love it, #84 rules!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so glad you liked The Red Tent. I feel like I'm practically forcing people to read it!

Great clapotis. I can see how it would be annoying if all the dropped stitches stuck together. But that color is LOVELY!

7:43 PM  
Blogger Jani said...

There are lots of perfect pinks in that Noro - beautiful finish!

Now, good luck with finishing Outlander in a week ... what is it, about 600 pages? Have to say, tho, I own & love the entire, uncategorizable series, and have read all 10,000+ pages more than once ... beware!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

I LOVE it! The colors are amazing and I am sure it will help to brighten your days through these last few winter months!

The Red Tent was one of the best books I ever read... I think I may have to find my old copy and re-read it to refresh my memory:)

10:10 PM  
Blogger Aline said...

What a yummy knit! And wow you read fast...I fall asleep after two pages thus I only read in bed; safer that way. haha. Thanks for the good titles!

10:13 PM  
Blogger wiscjennyann said...

Your clapotis is beautiful! I love the color and perfect for project spectrum!

Yes yes, if you have the courage (isn't the middle section of the pattern a bore?), do try it with the sea silk! I was so amazed at the finished result (I made a sea silk clapotis for my mom this winter). It's a very different effect, a bit like lace (I used size 5s). It would be gorgeous in cornflower blue.

1:53 AM  
Blogger nj2 said...

Look out, the Outlander series is quite habit forming! I started them several years ago and my grandaughter, then 14, grabbed them up and sped past me, never to look back. I have not yet completed the series, gotta get the books back from her.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Diana @ Photodee said...

Awesome Clap. I have yet to knit one. Still thinking about it though. I love how you have knitting and lusting after yarn as a second job! It is definitely a time suck! Hehe! Good luck with your book challenge. My Hubby should play along. He has read 4 books this year already! Can you read and knit at the same time?

7:17 AM  
Blogger Knitterella said...

You Clapotis is beautiful!!! Love the colors.

Man, the way you fly through books is so impressive!

9:01 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

The clapotis is beautiful! I lveo the color. I have some of that yarn stashed away for a sweater.

I like your book challenge. I do a lot of reading so I'll be interested in seeing what you pick to read and your review.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Jean said...

I adore the colors of you claptosis. Just beautiful.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Your Clapotis is pretty! I'm sorry the texture isn't quite what you wanted, though.

Your book challenge sounds great!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Wow, I LOVE the colors of your clapotis. I'm not sure that I really like the colors in the clap that I'm knitting--maybe that's why I'm having such a hard time getting it finished.

If you make a book-a-week button, may I steal it?

11:56 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

Oh, 84 is my favorite colorway! Your clapotis is very pretty :)

1:16 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

It looks great! What amazing, warm colors - so perfect to cheer you up in winter!

2:08 PM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

Stacey,
You won't believe it but just today I got a package in the mail with 4 skeins of Lorna's Laces Lion and Lamb to make my second clapotis. I love my first one so much that I am going to wear it right out.
Your version is beautiful and I hope you love it as much as I love mine. Good luck on that lipstick!

2:53 PM  
Blogger mle said...

It's absolutely gorgeous! love those colors!
52 books a year! wow, I bet my husband could participate in that challenge...he absolutely inhales books.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Minerva Turkey said...

Your clapotis is lovely...you did a fantastic job on it. I know what in a pain dropping stitches with Noro is, but I am glad you braved it. The result is awesome.

I am so glad to see you are in Project Spectrum. I am really looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I love seeing your projects.

7:15 PM  
Blogger KnittingMoose said...

Oooooh, your Clapotis is awesome!! So pretty, great color. And "late to the party"...heh, I haven't even gotten there yet! ;)

8:49 PM  
Blogger alovelyday said...

visit www.goodreads.com too!! You can link all your friends in one and see what everyone else is reading.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

That clapotis is gorgeous. I love those fiery colors. I'm all for more photos. Really, more photos, and closeups, too!

7:47 AM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

52 books! i am sooo impressed!!!
are you sure you are getting enough sleep? :)
beautiful clapotis!

9:29 AM  
Blogger hook and needle said...

If you made it a challenge, I'd be far more likely to join in with 12 books (one per month). I can't imagine one per week... maybe because I'm surrounded by books all day everyday... Just too many to choose from, and I gave up. Unless you count repeated renditions of Brown Bear, Brown Bear and The Sneetches.

Absolutely love the Clapotis. Wow. That is stunning.

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That clapotis is gorgeous! I loved The Red Tent! Our Library System had a 52 book/year challenge a few years back and I passed so I got a special issue Gold Library Card - oohhh....

4:44 PM  
Blogger sheepish one said...

Hey! Just fyi, I nominated you for a You Make My Day award -- more on my blog!

7:24 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Your Clapotis is so lovely! Yes, must see an action shot.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

Your clap it gorgeous! Someday... lol I'm glad you got the book okay. :) You'll be seriously sucked in, I bet, but as it's one of the shortest in the series it might mess up your book a week challenge...

Thanks for the button! You're too sweet. It wasn't a big deal, really -- it's the same as enabling someone who sits beside you sighing wistfully about wanting to learn to knit. You jump up, grab some spare yarn & needles & are teaching before she can take it back! lol

6:18 PM  
Blogger Molly Bee said...

Clapotis turned out amazing! I awarded you with the You Make My Day award on my blog today too!

9:41 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Clapotis is great! And pretty adictive to you, right!
BTW, you are nominated for Make My Day award!

3:18 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

This Clapotis....is fabulous. Wow.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

Oh Peaknit...guess what I did today? I cast on for my first Clapoti. It's using Wollmeise. The colors are a dream. I'll keep you posted. I may check out the Red Tent, its never "grabbed" me but I trust your opinion and share your taste. I read the Outlander series years ago and loved them!

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home