Peaknit

Thursday, January 10, 2008

A perfect winters' afternoon and a book review

moretrees
I wish this was the view today - warm temps have melted away the pretty snow - but more is on the way!

I am enjoying a relaxing moment - even if it is just a moment. It's 4 o'clock - dreary outside and I have my pajamas on - aint that great? Why do jammies make me feel so darn good? OMG, a little Barefoot Contessa, my children playing quietly, work is done for the day and I am hanging out with you, blogging friends! Nice.

I am not even thinking about knitting right now, now that's weird - I have my second Yarntini stockinette sock cranking away but for this moment, I hope to say "hello" and then sign out to learn how to make a plum tart before hanging out with Alex Trebec for a half an hour. simple pleasures. (very simple *giggle*)

imageDB
What I really want to mention is my latest book - I just finished You're Not You by Michelle Wildgen. I started reading the book and realized that the story takes place in Madison, just 20 minutes away from me. I found myself recognizing some of the landmarks the main character spoke of.

Anyways, Bec is a somewhat directionless student at the university. Her studies seem like the wrong fit, she is dating a married man, holding jobs with little concern for the future, she's kind of a mess. But then she takes a summer job caring for Kate - a 30-something with impeccable style and a seemingly bottomless budget who is struggling in the last stages of ALS (Lou Gehrig's) - Bec is hired on to be her fumbling caregiver - and fumble she does for a bit - but ultimately Kate becomes her guide - helping her appreciate the finer things, to not "settle", to question her current path and she even eventually helps Bed find her way - as she inevitably grieves her death.

Bec gets way overinvolved in Kate, as part of her job eventually requires her to speak for her. She becomes part of her social life, personal habits, her own marriage. She becomes a caregiver as well as a self-declared protector for Kate. I could see where Bec was going with this vicariousness, I could see that Bec was going to learn something profound about herself - it was wonderful to see her figure it out - open her future like a gift. Though, truth be told, things got a tad bit tedious at the end. After the book climaxed it seemed as though there was either too much book left to wrap up loose ends or not enough to answer all of the questions I had. I think it went on a bit long - Bec wallowed a bit more than you would expect but then when considering the intensity of her relationship with Kate - it makes sense.

All and all, a good read. So what are you reading?

15 Comments:

Blogger Kristy said...

It sounds like you're having a nice afternoon :)

I'm currently reading "The Subtle Knife" by Phillip Pullman, which is the sequel to "The Golden Compass" of current movie fame. The books are quite good!

4:28 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I'm really not reading anything, but am enjoying my recent Christmas money purchase of A&E and BBC's adaptation of "Pride and Prejudice" on DVD....my DH hates it! He hears the background music and cringes.
What a great way to spend the afternoon - in PJ's. The knitting will come.

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love curling up with a good book on a cold winter's day. Lovely lovely photo. I'm reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Piccoult right now. Very interesting so far.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm reading The Red Tent. I love it. Although, progress has slowed because school is back in session.

PJ's are the best outfit ever! I know they aren't fashiony but they are sooooo comfy! (But not in public!)

5:18 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I am one of those people for whom knitting has supplanted reading--isn't that terrible? But my goal is to keep up with the New Yorker as much as possible....

5:25 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Very nice! I wish I was in my PJs snuggled up with a nice book or my knitting:)

I am currently reading eat, pray, love by Elizabeth Gilbert. Hey that reminds my I have to post about this for the Meme:) hehe...

5:58 PM  
Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

Thanks for the book review. I just finished an "older" book, Empire Falls by Richard Russo. Kinda slow and sleepy. Not much to sink your teeth into.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Auntly H said...

mmm Plum Tart! How did it turn out?

10:16 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Sounds like a perfect afternoon indeed.

I'm reading Eat, Pray, Love right now. Enjoyable, but I'm about 2/3 done and for some reason I'm really ready for some fiction!

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just finished Daniel Deronda on Librivox ('listen while you knit!') That George Eliot sure could spin a good yarn.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Knitterella said...

PJS - Love 'em! Can't get enough of 'em!

Wow, sounds like a pretty intense book. I've said it before, I'm not a reader. I think I should try to read at least one novel in 2008 though. What would you suggest?

Happy Friday!

7:20 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

I'm like ADD_knitter, knitting has totally supplanted my reading. Now sometimes I just listen.

Watching Jane Eyre on Masterpeice Theatre this past weekend got me to dust of my audible subscription and I've begun listening to that.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Aline said...

I am reading a really old one...Les Misérable by Victor Hugo. I love it!
By the way, I got my gift parcel from you today. Thank you!! Glad to see you are taking care and I love that you sent along a card with the profile picture...it was that picture that brought me to your blog, it was so cute.
Hope you keep checking in on me...

3:27 PM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

What a cozy day (although I admit the only thing that I liked about Jeopardy was the SNL parodies of it!). I'm reading a new (I think!) Mary Higgens Clark book; Two Little Girls In Blue. MHC is probably my favorite author for suspense/thriller. I have a hard time finding new authors, I'll have to check out some of the books you've mentioned! (And I haven't forgotten about Outlander -- I'm just behind -- as usual!!)

7:45 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

So you are near Madison? I have a dear friend who lives there and I will be going to visit her soon... Is there a good yarn store you would recommend?

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home