Peaknit

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Cabely Mittens and Grumpy Children

cableymittens2

cableymittens

I finished some Very Cabley Mittens yesterday. I made them with Velvet Grape worsted Malabrigo - holy cozy. And the cables (even though they are slightly lost in the variegate) add such a nice texture, they massage my hand. I think I am taking a brief trip into Malabrigo addiction, my current "drug" of choice - and the mittens only took about 2/3 of one skein. Why do they pose so awfully, though? They look so *blech* laying there for pictures. Anyways, I have cast on an Amanda hat to go with my mittens. Why do I make hats, I mean, I give them all away because I look so stooopid in them. I can't seem to help myself. Does anyone else just make stuff to inevitably give away...someday?

Another question...do aliens abduct anyone else's kids during the holiday season? Seriously, the crazy schedules and missed naps really have resulted in a bad case of the uglies around here. My little one had a colossal melt-down on Christmas night as we were trying to pack up for my parents. I was able to distract her with a quick bath - but it's so tough - the holidays must go on. Today I packed up the tree and stuffed everything with a Santa on it away until next year - such a sigh of relief. I really enjoy the holidays, the projects, the family get togethers, thinking up gift ideas - but I'm never terribly sad to see it go, we've all had about enough by now....as I told my little, albeit grouchy, sweetheart - the tree is going night night until next year...shhhh. Goodnight tree.

15 Comments:

Blogger KnittingMoose said...

Oh wow, I love those mittens! They're definitely going on my list. So, would a skein of Manos do it? I have some black earmarked for mittens (or would that be too dark for the cables?) hmm...

5:40 PM  
Blogger wiscjennyann said...

Pretty pretty! Love the purple.

I too am on a Malabrigo kick-- in addition to that Silky Merino, I snatched up my first Malabrigo Worsted and am speeding through a Koolhaas. Ahhhh.

Must. Not. Buy. More. Arg.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

My "favorite" part is when they start greeting people with "so what did you get me?" I'm pretty sure *I* am the only one who had a melt-down on Christmas, though...

I'm finding that I have some weird quirks with my knitting. I simply cannot stand the idea of packing away the sweaters I have made for the baby that he's outgrown...I'd rather know that they are "out there somewhere" cuddling another sweet baby. A little different from your hats, but still -- send the love on & enjoy the yarn & process while you're creating, right?

The mittens are cozy looking -- malabrigo is awesome!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Auntly H said...

mmmmm... malabrigo. yummy!

If I weren't a grown-up, I think I'd have several meltdowns every Christmas. Honestly, I had a big one last year. Mostly though, I can keep myself in check.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Minerva Turkey said...

I think I may be one of the last knitters on Earth that still hasn't tried Malabrigo. I did admire some at the LYS today, but the selection of colors was very blah. I think all of the good ones fly right out of there.

I guess I need to put this on my online orders list. I love your mitts! I bet they are so snuggly.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

Lovely mittens! What a great hat pattern, too. I bet you look just wonderful in hats. However, if you don't like to wear them but DO enjoy knitting them, there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, having plenty of potential gift knits standing by for when you need to give a gift is very wise.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I really like the mittens! I haven't knit any mittens yet (newbie confession). My children are old enough to know about fits, but they still continue to fight with each other, and the youngest tells me all....Oh the joy! Our Christmas tree went "goodnight" was well, only it will stay there longer than the moon. :)

5:02 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

oh those mittens do look cozy...
I haven't tried malabrigo - yet.
I stress the yet :)

and we've had some "moments" around here...
and late nights... and missed naps.. oof.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Aline said...

Lovely mitts! So little time... Our tree went away on the 27th. The wee folks here are wired on xmas treats...oh the joy.

10:06 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Love those mitts, but I do indeed know from personal experience that even Malabrigo can't shield one from the junior set shenanagins this time of the year. My kids are going full bore with bad behaviour and they are much older than your little ones--ah, joy!!

10:17 AM  
Blogger knittingma said...

Beautiful mittens! And no, you're not alone in the "knitting things to give away at some unknown time" kick. I've got enough scarves and hats for a tabernacle choir in my coat closet, but that still doesn't stop me from adding more of them to my queue.

I feel your pain with the kiddo thing. My little guy had a meltdown today after refusing to take an afternoon nap. Arg.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Those mittens are fantastic! I love that malabrigo. Delish!

12:48 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

My kids are aliens!!! And putting them to bed in decent time again will be something like a challenge to me these days! Wish me luck!

2:50 PM  
Blogger sharon said...

The ineveitable holiday meltdown keeps you on your toes!!!
We have just returned after 8 days away for the gurlz and they are just not killing each other. Can't wait until I have to pack the whole room up for the contractors. I must check wheterh i have Malabrigo or Manos. Can't tell the difference.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Woman who knits said...

The mittens are beautiful.

I think aliens abducted my 3 year old the morning of his birthday and left me with one of their own.

So, yes, I think they might steal some people's kids for shorter periods of time!!! ;)

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home