Peaknit

Friday, December 14, 2007

Sign of the Times

santababy

We visited Santa last night at the Hilldale Mall. When we got there he was on his cell phone - imagine. A fellow mom walked by and whispered "He's on his cell phone?! That's sick!" Actually, sadly, it's a sign of the times. I mean why wouldn't Santa be calling Mrs. Clause? Checking on the Elves? I mean people everywhere are on their damn phone right? (myself not excluded on occasion) I had a holiday meet up with some girlfriend's at a restaurant tonight and a man hugged a friend who had just arrived, while talking on his phone - wtf? What a multi-tasker. To compliment my previous rant about wanting to heighten my mindfulness, how about a little attentiveness? I love the convenience of the cell phone but egads, the annoyance of it all - is everything just a little too easy?

Well, I 'll tell you something that wasn't easy - spinning! Okay, it wasn't hard either - I think it is an art. I took a class last night at the Sow's Ear - what fun. I learned basic drop spindle and some plying. I have several balls of roving to practice on and hope to hone my skills over the holiday - I was a bit too thick and thin for my taste last night, I like simple lines, so practice, practice! If the sun ever comes out I'll have to post my little schmibbles.

BTW, the Hilldale Mall has an Anthropologie store!! I was so excited to get to see one in person, beautiful! My sister asked what one gets at Anthropologie - my response "inspiration"!

kittyfun

**update - my first spun yarn - Ernest loves it!

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats on the Anthropologie! I love, love, love that store. So fun to just go in and look around!

1:03 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Your girls are cute cute CUTE!!! Hope they weren't creeped out by Santa like my girls were at that age!

6:53 AM  
Blogger Auntly H said...

Look at those cuties!

I'm thinking about taking a spinning class in Feb. How does this fit with my distinct lack of need for more yarn? I'm hoping I don't really take to it, but that it will broaden (deepen?) my understanding of the yarn I buy. Riiiiiight....

8:40 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Looks like the girls enjoyed Santa, despite the cell phone!

Antropologie at Hilldale?!?! Wow! I used to live in a little 1950s rambler 2 blocks east of Hilldale, before they built all the crazy new stuff. I loved living there, and I'd move back in a heartbeat.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

I was at Hilldale too yesterday! I wish I would have seen you. I am jealous of your spinning class. I would love to learn. That Anthropologie is gorgeous. I have only been there once but could spend hours just looking and probably spending too much.

Your girls are adorable. I saw that Santa and he looked like a cell phone talker. Isn't that strange to see that stationary store in Alphabet Soup's old spot? I love that new store and buy stationary there all of the time.

Enough already!
susie

1:58 PM  
Blogger Diana @ Photodee said...

Cute pic! What is the world coming to? Must everyone be on the phone all the time?! My new motto is "Hang up and drive." Everyone is on the phone and not paying attention. (I at least use my hands free headset when I am driving so I can have both hands on the wheel!) Speaking of wheels, I can't wait to see how your spinning progresses!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Gramknits said...

Oh, you started spinning. I can hardly wait to see the results. I have been remiss is reading and you have all kinds of projects done. I too will need to remember to slow down and be mindful. It is nice to be reminded this time of the year.

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's exactly what I think about Anthropologie... the prices are outrages though.

2:56 AM  
Blogger tiennieknits said...

Such cute girls! So sweet.

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home