Peaknit

Saturday, December 01, 2007

Off the socks.

It's been a week now since I knit so much as a stitch on a sock. I am feeling a little twitchy, but holiday projects require my attention. And no one is getting socks - I could try to knit a pair with good intentions - but I know myself...no one is getting socks.

kolenya
I have been working primarily on fingerless mitts. Seems like I spiraled into these babies last year around this time - the Fetching had me by the ears - but this year is the Kolenya after seeing Elemm's holiday gift version for his friend (scroll down). I am not as excited by my colorway choice, but it was stash diving, so I feel accomplished about that. This pair, and several like it,will be teachers' gifts - along with a few other goodies and of course a note thanking them for having my daughters in "good hands" - I can't forgo the pun.

And my next Koolhaas is on the brain. I have the pattern laid out before me now and just finished surfing Ravelry for inspiration. I initially bought a vibrant blue Sheep Shop 3 for this project but it may be a bit thin...I could double it up? Then I see Jared himself is using Malabrigo for his latest - hmmm. Look at that, I write "Jared" like I know this knitting/ spinning/ designing guru - I hope he will forgive my familiarity - just knitters are amazing, we - are - fam-i-ly...right?

I have enjoyed hats - quick knits - well, Koolhaas is a bit complicated but still, it's not a socks-long project. How many hours does a pair of socks take you? I'm thinking 15-18 hours per pair - so am I slow or just about right?

meathead
Anyways - the Meathead, now there is an Instant Gratification (IG) project. I made these several months ago for no one in particular, though one daughter has staked claim on the Manos version. I am still considering embellishments...a felted flower would be about perfect, like the one from Susan B. Anderson's Itty Bitty Hats - but I must admit that my own childrens' needs are a bit lower on the priority list than those pesky holiday give-a-ways, as a consolation, their needs may be just above socks. But barely - a junkie needs a sock fix once in awhile. Maybe I could knit and give some bedsocks, something more IG? What IG's are you knitting? (please tell me, so I may steal your ideas - so shameless)

Other holiday knits...Stella probably needs a new outfit and my youngest daughter should probably get a doll or maybe Grumpy Old Bear (though I'm guessing I couldn't give him away either...I'm nothing if not a realist). Maybe we could start a new holiday on New Year's Day gifts-from-mom's-needles-to-children's-hearts - a.k.a. gifts that didn't make it for Christmas because of teachers, aunts, uncles, grandmas, friends, mail ladies, dog groomers - lest I forget buying, gift wrapping, Chistmas cards, decorating, dinner making, party going, make up applying, sparkly dress shopping, over indulging...gosh, that just seems all backwards when I really think about it. Maybe if I throw in church going, elementary school concert attending, caroling and volunteering - yep, that sounds a little better. Does your heart palpitate at the thought of everything that's coming? My gosh, I felt so in control and now it's December?! crap.

22 Comments:

Blogger Kirsten said...

My IG knits are hats and mitts too. But now you've got me thinking about IG socks in worsted wt. for lounging about the house. Those might be just the thing under the tree, and serve the purpose for a bit of stash busting as well!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

I knitted few fingerless mitts for myself, and avery pair was taken from me! But never thought of mitts as x-mas present - don't know why! Guess, sometimes I am total idiot! Luckilly - not this x-mas!
Really love the coloureway!

2:20 PM  
Blogger ErickaJo said...

I lurve your colorway choice! That rainbow progression makes me happy :D

2:34 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Yeah, the Meathead is a major IG project, I love it so much. And thanks for the Kolenya pattern, I've got lots of Kureyon that needs a purpose...

6:12 PM  
Blogger Citranila said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Citranila said...

I tried posting a link, but I guess I'm not tech savvy enough to make it work. So here are directions, www.elliphantom.com, under free patterns, download the herringbone mittens. They are my current favorite. If you knit them in one color, they go super fast and only take on skein.

By the way, Hi, thanks for all the great ideas. I linked to your blog from Susan B Anderson's. I'm a bit new to the knitting blog land, but I'm excited to join.

6:22 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

oh my.... there is just too much to do. and i too thought i had it under control.......
love the mitts.....they are the perfect gift!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Jennie said...

I am utterly in love with your mittens. I love the colors. :)

1:11 AM  
Blogger Gramknits said...

Don't worry. You are not supposed to be in control in December. That's what makes it Christmas. But, isn't is wonderful that somehow it all gets done!

10:20 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

I've been making fingerless mitts this year-- they go by quickly! I also like the idea of worsted weight house socks-- I'll have to think about that one :)

10:33 AM  
Blogger Diana @ Photodee said...

Love the mitts (awesome color!) and the cute pun! (I love a good pun!) Happy gift knitting.....I know how you feel though about itching to knit socks for yourself. I, too, have been knitting a ton of scarves! I just want to be done soon!

10:43 AM  
Blogger Jean said...

The mitts are fab and will make wonderful gifts! I haven't made it (yet), but the Yarn Harlot's Unoriginal Hat looks like a pretty great IG, stash-busting project.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

I love the vibrancy of your Kolenyas though. (BTW, the link to my blog didn't work).

And Koolhaas isn't that complicate. I'm sure you'll manage it.

4:17 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

I think I fixed the link to Elemmaciltur's great version - oops!

4:57 PM  
Blogger Knitterella said...

Once Dec 1st comes I don't feel very 'incontrol' either! Dang, every year it's the same thing. I alway intend to start in October but never do!

That is really sweet that you hand knit gifts for your kids teachers.

Those finderfless gloves are great! Makes a great gift!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I like Elemm's pattern - I have it all printed, and ready to go, for after Christmas knitting. Have you tried Clara Parkes' "Maine Morning Mitts?" They are simple as well, and very quick knits.
I like Elemm's hint about saving yarn to knit the thumb for color progression! :) Great mitts!

5:32 AM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

Arg! Now you have me frantically casting about for gifts for my mail lady & ds1's teachers...HOW did I not think of them?!

Maybe I'll do some fingerless mitts, too...

10:51 AM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

Thanks for the fingerless mitten pattern link. I am printing it out right now. My gift knitting this year is not up to par and I am strangely okay with that. Maybe I can squeeze a few pairs of these in.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Those meathead hats are so cute!
Nicely done.

1:47 PM  
Blogger tiennieknits said...

Great hats and mitts! Perfect knitting for this time of year!

3:42 PM  
Blogger Minerva Turkey said...

I love the fingerless mitts idea. Everyone I know that is a non-knitter asks for socks, and I know that they love them. But the time + effort + cost is just a bit high.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Zu said...

I love those mittens. I crochet more than knit, but those look easy enough. I probably have those on my to-do list on ravelry and have forgotten about them. ;-)

3:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home