Peaknit

Friday, November 23, 2007

Blooming with goodies

lastpetals

I received my very last Petals kit from Sundara Yarn. So sad. but the finale is good, I like the pinky pink yarn - Magnolia. With a lovely pattern of the same name. I will miss receiving this gift every other month, the packaging, the pattern - delicious eye candy. I have learned that Sundara may be publishing a book next year which will include some, or all? of her sock club exclusive patterns - fyi. How wonderful it that? In my own mind, Sundara is like King Midas - everything she touches - pure genious. Meanwhile, I somehow practiced restraint and avoided diving into her next club endeavor - Seasons. It will feature a diverse offering of her different yarns in a various pallettes - I let the price tag discourage me until, thank gosh, it was too late - the link was down. I now will have to vicariously look forward to what it has in store and save my nickels for the next round.

I made this fun little bag yesterday - it's a major practice run, the top stitching is kind of pathetic, but look it matches my yarn.

bag

I stood in the fabric cutting line at Joann's for an eternity today - I didn't want to do a lick of Black Friday shopping, yet, there I was. I got some upholstery fabrics and more suitable interfacing - for a sturdier bag. I practiced with quilting cotton and some warm n natural batting. I tried some Timtex - egads, it was so stiff, which led me back to my sewing closet - hmmm, batting it is - so I am hoping a mid-weight decor interface will be more appropriate. If I had taken the time to quilt the piece, it might have held it's shape better. We'll see how the next round goes, I'm pretty excited about some sweet bags for holiday gifts - stuffed with goodies.

ministarter

And speaking of goodies...I came home Wednesday to a delightful treat! I had talked back and forth with Auntly H. about purchasing the XS Firestarter kit from Yarnissima - maybe pooling our resources and our shipping - well, Auntly H. surprised me with a kit - what a treat - many thanks! I would love to make several of these for my own tree. If I had off between now and Christmas I'd love to make one for every participant in the KAL - ah, but my day job gets in the way of everything. What a great way to use up some of my Wollmeise scraps - such generous yardage.

14 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

Sigh...so sad the Petals Collection is done too! Nice job on the bag. My first one was with timtex, big mistake. I use decor bond now for them and my needlecases. Stiff enough, but not too much so you can still sew through. They'll make great gifts! Cool XS firestarters kit. I hope to start my regular sized ones after the holidays.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Great job with the bag!!
That Sundara yarn is beautiful.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the XS firestarter kits. so cute. I'm dreaming of a stocking garland of some kind. I don't think it's happening this year though!

6:05 PM  
Blogger Auntly H said...

Timtex is a bear!
That box bag looks fantastic! I keep thinking I should try one, but so many projects, so little time....

Happy knitting!

6:07 PM  
Blogger cbknits80 said...

Looks like some great mail! Gotta love that. You were brave to head out to the stores.

7:59 PM  
Blogger sharon said...

gorgeous sewing!!
and le sigh, XS firestarter kit. I've been so good (except today some yarn fell into my hands - funny how that happens in a yarn shop

8:18 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

The last Petals collection package is so pretty. I can't believe you braved JoAnn today! I went with my mom and sister. They got the doorbuster deals, and I just watched the craziness :)

9:25 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

thanks for pointing out little box bag pattern - something I just needed!

And do I have to comment yarn - pure treat just to look at it!

2:46 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

The Petals shipment looks so lovely! I think I might take a break from yarn clubs (except Woully Boully) as I think I'd rather just buy the yarn on its own, although I love getting those packages in the mail...

6:22 AM  
Blogger mle said...

Good job on the bag! it turned out really cute.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Jennie said...

That's some really pretty yarn from the Petals Collection.

You did a fantastic job on the bag. I keep meaning to try to sew me up one, but I keep putting it off.

The little firestarters are going to be so cute on your tree. What a great surprise.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Love the bag! You are so talented! Never saw the firestarter kits! They look great, but the Christmas knitting looms large, and alas, it will not happen this year! Maybe next?

9:55 PM  
Blogger moosie said...

I love your bag you made and thanks for the link to the tutorial, it looks complicated but after viewing the tutorial its not so bad!

8:44 PM  
Blogger KnittingMoose said...

I think the bag looks great! And I love that little sock kit, so cute!

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home