Peaknit

Thursday, November 22, 2007

the road

41JIlx9r0rL__AA240_

This book leaves me so much to be thankful for. What a sad, heartbreaking story yet, somehow - in spite of the desolation and agony - it's a painfully sweet love story between father and son. Readers have many theories as to why the Earth is in ruins, but in any case - this book kind of left me afraid to close my eyes at night, I could feel the empty pain of the two main characters - the end felt near. Thankfully, I was able to open my eyes and renew joy for what I do have - this book reminds you to do that. I read it in three days because I could not bear to feel so sad before bedtime...so morose and cryptic. In spite of the dark, dank setting - somehow it is a good read - quick, odd prose - a candystore full of lost words - sepulchre, veneration - a plate full. (Even one tiny reference to knitting.)

Other than reading sad books today - I am making a small Thanksgiving feast for my own family - just me, dh and the girls. This is a departure from years past but I have actually looked forward to this pajama party all week. We are being so lazy and selfish, lounging in front of the Packers and Ratatouille. I hope to sew one of these bags - a test run, if you will. And of course, knitting will come in somewhere. Maybe after the apple pie?

On the knitting front I have finished and mailed my Harvest Jaywalker to my partner - sigh of relief. I have never had a sock wrestle me to the ground quite like this Jay. And I am working away on my Belvedere - I've turned the heel - I see a pair in my future.

I've read some wonderful posts about being thankful. This is the part of the season I do look forward too - the Rip Van Winkle feelings wake up - the warm fuzzies, the love - I mean even the Grinch could figure it out. So I hope you are enjoying family time or even just reflection - it's like a nice rejuvenation before the stress begins - time to remember indeed what is the reason for the season before all of the wrappings, boxes and bags. Have a delightfully thankful day!

**my favorite part of the day was bedtime - my youngest has a hard time settling down- so the four of us all laid like logs in the dark on the living room floor. Tutti was out in a minute - but I laid there truly realizing what it is that I am thankful for today.

6 Comments:

Blogger Auntly H said...

I am thankful for visions of a pajama party Thanksgiving. :)

I'm also thankful for 7 uneventful hours in the car and 5 happy hours with family.

9:39 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

How funny, we had a lengthy discussion about 'The Road' at our T-G dinner table yesterday! Isn't it an amazing book??

6:25 AM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I love your last two posts! I agree about the yarn. I have had a beading thing going on, and even though I love beads, it in no way measures up to my love of yarn. I happily spent T-day with my family, and it's so wonderful to snuggle up with tiny little ones (and larger ones too), and realize that fostering their growth is really what it's all about!

8:21 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Have a wonderful, relaxing pajama party weekend.

Thanks for the book review -- I'm afraid I swore off Cormac McCarthy after reading the All the Pretty Horses and the rest of the Border Trilogy. Not for me...

9:21 AM  
Blogger Cindy/Snid said...

That is a powerful book, isn't it? I started it in the dark days of Winter last year and had to wait and finish it once Spring had come. Somehow I needed a little more light to read it.

Have a wonderful weekend filled with the many joys of family, friends AND knitting!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Molly Bee said...

What a wonderful post!Sometimes I think the greatest blessing is the ability to recognize them! Happy Thanksgiving!

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home