Peaknit

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Read meme

I have been tagged by Auntly H. for a quick meme - it requires that I open the book I am currenting reading to page 161 and read the 5th sentence, and then tag 5 people...

Okay, so I am sitting here, after a hectic day of pre-Santa cleaning with an Old-Fashion sweet, my thinking cap is on. Though after I finish this drink, it may be a little askew...I am so hoping...okay, not really - but it is appealing sometimes to get a little tipsy when so many responsibilities beckon. Is it me?

Book I'm reading: A Three Dog Life by Abigail Thomas

book-cover-photo-wider

Quote: "He was a tall man, and often drank from something in a brown paper bag, and he murmured "pretty lady" when we passed each other on the sidewalk."

Comment: I'm on page 146 so far - it's fair. In my opinion the writing style is somewhat disjointed, which given the topic is probably appropriate - though it is not reeling me in like I expected. It is a memoir about a woman whose husband is hit by a car and he suffers a traumatic brain injury. Her life, the aftermath for her, how everything changes, her struggles. She "collects" three dogs - hence the title. The quote is kind of weird - doesn't have any relationship to the big picture - but interesting.

update - I finished the book - last night. The writer grew on my by the end - her interesting perspective. I found this quote (page 160, go figure) compelling "I watch my dogs. They throw themselves into everything they do; even their sleeping is wholehearted. They aren't waiting for a better tomorrow, or looking back at their glory days. Following their example, I'm trying to stick to the present." Nice, good insight - food for thought.

Tagging:

Photodee (knowing I totally have to follow up with the Pay It Forward task - *sheepish grin*)
Nell at Chicken Knits
Marisol and Purls Just Wanna Have Fun
Susie at Susan B. Anderson
and anyone else that might like to play along...and if my tag-ees aren't into this kind of thing, that's okay too. It's Christmas afterall. *giggle*

Another thing Auntly H inspired is what are my favorite books...I would love to hear what other people like too, since I am always in search of a good book, always looking for the next suggestion...

My favorites, in no particular order are:
1. The Tales of The City collection by Armisted Maupin - I have read the whole set 5 times or more. I see Michael Tolliver Lives: A Novel was published in 2007 - glad I checked the spelling of Maupin on Amazon, another book on my wish list.

2. East of Eden by John Steninbeck

3. Just about Anything by Elizabeth Berg, but especially The Art of Mending.

4. The Pact or My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

5. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

5. Roots by Alex Hailey

6. The Runaway Pancake

7. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

8. Light on Snow by Anita Shreve

OMG, there have to be so many more - but that's it for now.

2 Comments:

Blogger sharon said...

We are getting better, coffee was had this morning and greatly enjoyed. Last night I read a couple of books. Haven't done that in a while. They were enjoyed - slightly mindless. Merry Christmas if I don't get a chance to log on before then. I am almost always sick at Christmas holidays.

5:40 AM  
Blogger Auntly H said...

Awsome list. Thanks! I got Water for Elephants from my MIL for Christmas (it was high priority on my wishlist based on your review).

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home