Peaknit

Saturday, January 26, 2008

strange connections

41e401vnfqL__AA240_

I saw No Country For Old Men last night - I went honestly not being very sure what to expect. It was deep, dark - and left me with a lot of questions. Strangely enough, this was the same feeling I had when I finished the book The Road, which I recently wrote about here. Damn if the book the movie was based on and The Road weren't written by the same author, Cormac McCarthy. I detect this is his style, kind of like as soon as you hear Rush or ZZ Top on the radio, you know it's them - kinda like that.

The weirdness didn't stop there - the weather has been a drag lately - so snowing, crummy roads. I was crawling along on the Interstate last night at 45mph on the way home from the movie thinking that I felt like I was on the "road" depicted in that dank novel...I was all alone...no one behind me, no one ahead of me - cars were streaming on the East bound lane, but not mine - alone. This day has Cormac McCarthy written all over it. No, I didn't remember that my studious brother-in-law told me that No Country for Old Men was written by him, but I did run over and order a CD book of All The Pretty Horses (another bit of McCarthy genious) - (in case you want to borrow it when I am done, Joe.) So it's been a three-fer McCarthy weekend. I thought that was crazy coincidental, wanted to share.

And as long as I am talking about books, I recently finished Blood Orange by Drusilla Campbell.

Jacket

I was pretty excited to read this book, the jacket reeled me in - about a woman whose child is abducted and somehow the mother "unwittingly" has a part in allowing it. I found it okay but kind of predictable. I found myself shame-shaming the main character for being so irresponsible, but I haven't walked in her shoes - so who am I to judge - but I did, couldn't help it. Considering the turmoil in this household - as the father is a criminal defense attorney who also happened to be representing a child killer - they sure left their guard down. Truly a case of "you don't know what you've got until it's gone". Thankfully they are blessed and will get a second chance to get it right - but the book doesn't leave me certain they will, get it right, that is - maybe another story.

I'm so close to writing about some knitting - I can so see the light at the end of the WIP I have on the needles - promise to be a knitter again soon:)

Meanwhile, look at the eye candy here. I'm going to have a "stash January" - as in, no new purchased yarn for me this month, not one skein. I have done some trading on ravelry - what a great thing that is - new stuff yet my wallet has stayed snapped shut. nice.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristy said...

I saw 'No Country for Old Men' a few weeks ago. Did you notice there was no music in the movie at all? It really added to the whole feeling of it, I thought.

That sock yarn looks awesome! I've found that the ones with 10% nylon are my favorites.

11:35 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I really loved the film, very onerous and creepy! Have you seen 'There will be blood' yet? I saw these two back to bac and they really deliver a grim message...

2:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats on not buying yarn this month! Great job.

No Country for Old Men is in my netflix queue. Javier Bardem is getting lots of reviews and rave reviews. It should be good!

7:51 PM  
Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

Hmmm...I want to see "No Country" but now that I've read you post, I feel some urgency slip away. I read "All the Pretty Horses" several years ago and did not enjoy his writing style at all. I just finished, "The Widow of the South". I started it somewhat reluctantly but enjoyed it. Up next, "The Emperors Childern".

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home