Peaknit

Monday, February 04, 2008

Project Spectrum beginnings

IMG_1708

Happy beginning of Project Spectrum! Yesterday on the way to a waterpark hotel with the kids, I cast on my Firebird Socks That Rock for some Stalkers from Yarn Ball Boogie. I love the pattern, but of course, hind sight being what it is, I think should have cast on with a semi-solid. Like some Wollmeise Wilder Mohn perhaps? But in the name of the self proclaimed "too much work to frog" movement - I shall go forth. I think the cables still do pop a bit and the fit is great, despite my early reservations.

Then continuing on the spectrum theme (reds, pinks, oranges...) - I present Twizzlers, well not just Twizzlers, specifically the pull and peel variety. Food of the Gods. Easily up there with fountain soda, for me personally.

twizzler_full_prod_pull

Alas, I have decided I need to give them up for lent. Kwik Trip had this evil "buy one get one" plot and now, my swimsuit seemed a bit snug in the middle at our watertpark adventure - so either I cut back on the Twizzlers and refocus my "lifestyle" or I need to buy a bigger swim suit, for now I'll try the former. But look what Jillian over at Project Runway can do with Twizzlers...

twizzlers

Maybe she could fashion me a new swim suit using just Twizzlers? You know, kill two birds? No, I would start nibbling and we all know how that would go.

Speaking of waterparks and snug fitting swimming suits - egads, what kind of non-relaxing adventure was that? The best intentions. I looked around at other parents - wondering is it me? But no, as I suspected - most parents looked pretty tired and frustrated, in need of a stiff drink...good grief. On the bright side, the kids had fun and were rather oblivious to the thoughts running through my noggin. Glad to be home. And the the weatherman utters 9-12" of snow...ugh.

19 Comments:

Blogger sharon said...

You were a good Mom thinking of your kids before yourself!!! Good for you. I thought about them first, but never did anything about it...
The sock is gorgeous. Wish I wasn't on such a blanket/stole kick right now.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Auntly H said...

Yeah, a Twizzler bathing suit would be dangerous! Good luck with the giving up for Lent...

9:48 PM  
Blogger wiscjennyann said...

Happy beginning of Project Spectrum to you too! This is my first time participating, but I figured it would be a great way to do some stash management. I really like your Stalkers-- I've got it queued myself.

Hope you're surviving the snow! Would you believe that I'm actually missing it?!?

2:06 AM  
Blogger YarnSnob said...

wow those socks are bright!!! I need my sunglasses, beautiful colour and sure to stand out ...Hot Feet!!!

6:19 AM  
Blogger KnittingMoose said...

Yikes, that outfit is made of twizzlers?! All I can think of is, how sticky would one get wearing that?!

Sock looks great! Thought I recognized that color. :)

6:38 AM  
Blogger Knitterella said...

Love the warm colors!

I can't belive I just discovered Project Runway over the weekend. I watched a repeat and loved it! I will have to find out when it's on. The creative inspiration is awesome!

6:59 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Nice use of the Firebird...and I am giving up gossiping for Lent, how insane is that??

8:27 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Ohhh. Peel and eat twizzlers are too good.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The things we do as parents - no matter how much it hurt our heads. It's worth it to see the kids happy though!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Happy Happy Project Spectrum! Your new socks are gorgeous! I think the colors and the cables look great together:)

I LOVE twizlers --but I think it might be a little dangerous to have a suit made out of them--what if you get hungry or tempted:)

Isn't interesting or great (mostly) that we manage to put on a good face in front of our kids even though we may be worried or our thoughts are somewhere esle... You are a good Mom I can tell:)

12:09 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

you are the BEST for taking your kids to the waterpark!
i think everyones' suits are a little more snug in the winter, huh?
love your sock.......perfect spectrum sock.
i'm thinking of giving up sugar for lent. but i'm not sure i will be able to do it with all of the cookies floating around my house!

1:36 PM  
Blogger Jennie said...

Love the colorway you are working with!

2:45 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

I LOVE Jillian's Twizzler outfit! She rocks. Good luck with your Lenten promise. I think I need to do chocolate....again.

Your sock looks beautiful!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Diana @ Photodee said...

Love! Twizzlers! (Why was Project Runway not new last week?)
I really like how your firebird skein is striping (some people's skeins did not look as pretty as yours is knitting up)! It looks nice. I like those cables too!

5:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

HAHA! I'm taking full advantage of Fat Tuesday. But I'm with you, Lent will need to be very different.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I forgot that yesterday was Fat Tuesday, and no one had any doughnuts near me....so Lent begins today. don't know what I'm giving up yet, but it's not yarn!
I like the Firebird socks. Now there's a red colorway I could get behind! Wildermohn is too!
You rock for the bathing suit - I won't touch mine until I have to!

5:27 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Firebird is the perfect skein for Project Spectrum!

I remember when I was a kid that the water park was one of the greatest places in the world. I'm glad for your kids that they got to go!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Those water park hotels are really something -- it's like they're designed to test your sanity.

Cute socks!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Laurie (Moo!) said...

That Wollmeise colorway makes me swoon! Damn!

I loved the Twizzler outfit that Jillian made. Wasn't it brave of her to use food?

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home