Peaknit

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Magazine Launch and other sundries

circus

I went to the Knitting Tree today for the launch of the 2nd issue of Knit Circus, a locally produced magazine. It was a small gathering but worth the ride for the lovely colors and textures gracing the walls along with my first peek at the fun little indie magazine. I was excited to see Susan B. Anderson was interviewed, she aluded to a third book coming out about knitted toys - yay!

I also received some yarn from a Ravelry swap today - it was lost in the mail for several days, so I had been losing faith and then voila - it appeared. whew! And it's breathtaking...

Wollmeise Suzanne in the Wild Thing yarn.suzanne
The motive behind the dye technique applied is to create pooling - I'm kind of anti-pool but then I've been seeing other peoples' socks - it could be a good thing.

fiddleheadstuff
Fudgesicle Suri, oatmeal, thatch, peat, lobster, apple, wine, thistle Felted Tweed

Lastly, I think I have gathered nearly all of the pieces of my Fiddlehead Mitten puzzle. I think I will actually put off this project until I feel more savvy at stranding, but my parts are coming together. Except I think I will get some orangey-ginger Rowan Felted Tweed - that purpley blue doesn't flow for me - one of these things is not like the other... (A gorgeous pair made with the Felted Tweed from the flickr group is found here.) The Blue Sky Alpacas Suri - is dreamy like Kidsilk Haze - the fact it is named Fudgesicle is not lost on me. I hope to be wearing these mitts next fall...and for the record Susie, I also had to order my yarn from three places once I broke down in retrospect and ordered the Ginger. doh! :)

btw - check out check out the Double Dutch pattern here. I happened upon it when I saw pictures on flickr of Jared Flood from Brooklyn Tweed's humble beginnings. He is just a genious, huh?

And after being down on Noro Sock yarn - look at this pretty pattern by Knitzi. The Jenny Wren sock is quite possibly the perfect fit for this yarn. Not so perfect I would frog mine or anything *grin*, but if you want to try it, this could be a winner. I like the rich colorway the designer chose too.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Fiddlehead Mittens; I'm anxious to see how other stranding novices do. I've been afraid to attempt them. Thanks for all of the great links too...

7:51 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

That link to the hat didn't work?
Just want to wish you a lovely weekend. The yarn looks lovely, glad it turned up.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

Pretty colors -- I can see how an orange-y color would flow better than the blue. :) The magazine looks nifty -- do they have an online presence?

8:19 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

That Jenny Wren pattern is cool, I'll be checking that out asap!

8:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OMG- Thanks for the pattern! I have that exact color of Noro sock yarn. Now I'm itching to cast on....

Also, that Suzanne is GORGEOUS!!! I wish I could snag some. You're having all the luck on Ravelry!

10:34 PM  
Blogger sheepish one said...

i love the wollemise colorway. i've never looked into suzanne, so i'll keep my eyes peeled when looking for yours over on raverly.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

I won! I won! (I never get to say that.) I already have all of my parts for the fiddleheads.

Okay, I forgot all about that interview for Knit Circus it was so long ago. I have to get that magazine, love the cover.

Thanks for the reminder! I need to be knitting on other projects than those beautiful mittens, too, but I may have to just start those a little bit to get my fix. I'll keep you posted.

8:13 AM  
Blogger KnittingMoose said...

Those mittens are awesome! I can't wait to see your progress on them.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Hey, I have Suzanne in the 80/20 Twin....it's gorgeous. I have never seen the pattern for the fiddlehead mittens, but it sounds dangerous! :) Can't wait to see your pair!

8:16 PM  
Blogger Knitterella said...

Your Fiddlehead Mittens are going to be gorgeous! Can't wait to see them. Such a beautiful pattern and in the tweed, oh, so pretty!

6:22 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Whoa...that Wollmeise...I can't wait to see the socks you make with that because it may be the prettiest yarn I've ever seen.

10:14 AM  
Blogger knittingma said...

The Jenny Wren pattern is very pretty with Noro, you're right. Sigh. Yet another yarn for my wish list! Can't wait to see your Fiddleheads.

And I'm so glad your Wollmeise wasn't lost in the mail! I think you were much more patient in waiting for yours than I was in waiting for mine from Germany. :)

1:20 PM  
Blogger Molly Bee said...

I can't wait to see your Fiddlehead mittens! I'm to scared to try them but fiddleheads mean spring in Maine to me! We always sent down by the river to pick them in late April/early May. I may have to get off my scardy horse and try to knit them after all!

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely yarn! Thanks for the links. Off to check them out!

7:16 PM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

Yummy yummy yarn. I totally agree on the orange v. purply blue.

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh very yummy wollemise, can't wait to see how it knits up!

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home