Peaknit

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Finished Noro

noroick

Okay, I cast off my first stockinette Noro yarn sock - mmm, the jury is still out. Even after a good soak, the fabric is a little odd, maybe a bit saggy? It could be a nice boot sock - maybe I just needed to go down a needle size? I will never know since I plan to make a mate but then that's it for me - no more Noro sock yarn. Tried it, meh. (so Knitting Bandit - you are off the hook on this one *hee hee* no more bad influence from me!)

I've read several books since my last review - but these are most deserving of a nod. Riding Lessons and Flying Changes are a "mini-series" by Sara Gruen who also wrote Water for Elephants.

9780061241086

41s9Zsj370L__OU01_AA240_SH20_

The book centers around Annmarie Zimmer - once an Olympic bound jumper - but after tragedy strikes she decides she will never get on a horse again. Fast forward 20 years, Annmarie struggles through divorce, a sassy teenager, moving home to her parents' home - her father is dying from ALS and they have had a strained relationship since the Olympic hopeful became a has-been - she also can't seem to help but repeatedly make a fool of herself as she fails to "get a grip". In spite of all of her faults...Annmarie is likable and real - I had empathy for her pathetic, undone foundering.

I have been trying to journal my reading adventures as I am trying to read at least 52 books this year and in Riding Lessons I loved this passage - "I stop, perplexed. I examine it a little and toss about in my head, testing its consistency. I poke at it, and it pokes back. Is this what it feels like? Yes, by God it is. It's contentment, and I'm so full of it I almost don't know what to do."

Have you ever felt that - what a full feeling. You can feel the sun warm on your cheeks, your heart bursting against your sternum, so good. I was glad for Annmarie to find "it" after stumbling so aimlessly. I was glad to see her become a hero in her own right after being such a screw up. Very pleasurable books. I have struggled through a couple of so-so's, so these were a treat.

Lastly, Cinnamonamon tipped me off the new Knitty is up. I like the Honeycomb, looks like a nice scoopy vest that could be...wait for it...flattering!

17 Comments:

Blogger KnittingMoose said...

Sorry to hear you're not thrilled with the sock...it sure looks fun in the picture! May I inquire as to what size needle you used?

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading "Water for Elephants" and may have to look into the other two books you mentioned. Have you read "The Glass Castle" or "The Memory Keepers Daughter"? Both good reads.
Great sock, sorry you aren't crazy about it.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Well, I do love colors of the Noro yarn, but when I picked it up to "fondle it," I just couldn't imagine wearing it all day long - darn. The colors, as I said before, are just fabulous!
I'm currently reading "Water for Elephants," so I will have to check out these other books! Thanks for the recommendation!

5:24 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

I'm knitting a Noro sock, using the Charades pattern and 2 colors of Noro, and so far, I love it! But yeah, it's rustic... I'm using size 0 needles, so the fabric is nice and tight. What are you using?

7:56 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Thanks for the tip on Noro. That saves me some $$. But, the colors are so tempting! Your sock LOOKS great, too bad it doesn't feel great...

9:06 AM  
Blogger mle said...

Well the Noro sock sure is pretty! but they don't look like the sturdiest or softest socks. Oh well.

9:49 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Hmmm, saggy? That is a very interesting word to use...I'm going to have to break down and cast on myself, perhaps!

11:07 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Gorgeous colors! Too bad the yarn's so odd. I'll have to check out Sara Gruen's other books -- I enjoyed Water for Elephants immensely.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

I think the sock looks pretty. I finally broke down and I am in the middle of Water for Elephants but I am reading it so slowly, just a bit here and there. It is striking me as depressing and that is why I don't jump at the chance to pick it up to read. It is beautifully written.

Thanks for talking about Ms. Gruen's horse books. I can't read those because of the dying dad with ALS. I have such a thing about depressing books and that eliminates so many choices for me.

Thanks for the info. Love it.

11:53 AM  
Blogger sheepish one said...

the sock is cute, but i admire your willingness to leave it mateless after a so-so experience with the first. nothing's worse than trudging through a project (especially socks) that you don't just love.

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meh I've been trying to get motivated to cast on for my noro sock but all these negative reviews make me thing it might be a waste of a knit. Maybe I'll have to come up with something else to do with it. =)

1:09 PM  
Blogger Molly Bee said...

Yeah the Noro knits up scratchy and weird, huh? Can't beat the colors though. Have you read Jodi Picoult's new one yet-Change Of Heart? Oh. My. God!!!! I haven't gotten a full nights sleep in three night and haven't been able to think about much else. Talk about your moral dilemma!

2:40 PM  
Blogger Minerva Turkey said...

I agree with you about the Noro sock yarn. I really wanted to love it, but I just don't. Yuck.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

However that sock fabric feels, it's really pretty!

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the sock looks great. Bummer that you don't like them. Thanks for the book reviews - I love it when people give their opinions on books - gives me more books to add to my queue at the library!

1:13 AM  
Blogger knittingma said...

I think your Noro sock is pretty! But, of course, if you won't wear it, then it's not worth keeping. *Love* the picot edge.

I'm still waiting to crack open my "Water for Elephants" that I got for Christmas! ::Sigh:: Little ones don't leave much time for reading books with real words. I've heard (here and elsewhere) that it's a great read. Maybe once I've finished that one, I'll take a peek at Gruen's other books.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

What size did you do your sock on? I can kinda see how it might be slouchy, I think. Hmmm...

Love the book review(s). I'm going to have to start writing them down -- right now all I can handle is Nora Roberts fluff... ;)

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home