Peaknit

Thursday, September 11, 2008

spinning.beginning

more wheels

I took a beginning spinning class with Deb Jones of the Fiber Garden at the Wisconsin Sheep and Wool Festival last Saturday - me and my lendrum hung with other spinner wannabes and many pretty wheels. It felt a little bit like puppy kindergarten the way we got to "socialize" with all of the wheels. I did learn that thankfully, I love my lendum - but the Kromski Minstrel and Sonata were also lovely. Actually, each wheel had it's own gift - but I am quite satisfied with my impatient "blind pick".

We spent the morning just practicing, lots of drafting, learning about the drafting triangle, spinning. It got more and more zen as the morning slipped into afternoon. We then learned how to ply - I have tried limited plying as I have felt like a bicyclist trying to pedal up hill - fighting with the wheel. I am glad I held off on any more experimenting til class as the instructor was able to eye my wheel and see my bobbin "stick" a bit - so I was able to help the bobbin along a bit here and there - and voila - handspun! We made fugly little skeins in class with practice roving - so I promptly went home and started spinning some Spunky Eclectic Flutterby - I spun on and off all week - and plied tonight.

Spunky Eclectic
Spunky Eclectic Superwash Corriedale - Flutterby

I still need to wash it and weight it but I am thrilled silly with my finished bits - it's practically my first "skein" and people, I think it's usable! I am envisioning a yummy cotton candy hat for one of my girls or cozy cowl. Well, actually I am envisioning piles of handspun but one day at a time. I think I get why people are willing to share their knitting time with their wheels, it has proved worth it to me to take another step back in the creative process and "make" the yarn. Now, I am sure, like all of my hobbies. I'll flit from thing to thing, but I am so glad I finally gave into the song of this siren. Now to pick my next roving...

19 Comments:

Blogger leah said...

Looks lovely! Congrats on super handspun!

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at you go! That looks yummy.

10:12 AM  
Blogger bockstark.knits said...

ooooh, that is SO pretty! excellent job and i am so jealous that you got to try out all those wheels!!! oh and one more thing - don't weight your yarn after washing, it will get all of it's bounce back once you wet it again.

10:44 AM  
Blogger knittingma said...

Wonderfully pretty! Glad you're having fun with your new hobby. :)

11:50 AM  
Blogger Aline said...

Oh, I think somebody has fiber fever! congrats on your first precious plied wool. Great colours. I started on a Lendrum too! haha.

12:24 PM  
Blogger cbknits80 said...

Beautiful. I'm going to put in my order now for some nice handspun! I can't wait to see what else you come up with.

2:35 PM  
Blogger wiscjennyann said...

beautiful, congrats! (so wishing I had taken a spinning class at WI S&W.) So happy to hear it was fun!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Very pretty handspun! Yikes, I take a beginning spinning class next month...

5:04 PM  
Blogger Molly Bee said...

YAY YOU! It looks great! Doncha just love spinning!

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's is amazing for your first handspun! You are going to be spinning more than you knit. Keep at it and it will get easier every day.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

Must. Not. Listen. To evil, enabling blogger friend...

Bad Peaknit...your spinning is way too pretty & I can't possibly start learning to spin for months yet!

10:13 PM  
Blogger KnittingKel said...

That is beautiful! Looks like you are a natural when it comes to spinning.

8:32 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Wow, check you out! Can you believe you made a usable skein??

9:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

GORGEOUS!!!!! I need to take a class. Clearly this isn't something I'm intuitively good at.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Oh your handspun is JUST GORGEOUS! What a great first handspun skein to produce! You go, spinner!

5:02 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

Gorgeous! Can't wait to see it knit up.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Congratulations on all your pretty new handspun! Absolutely lovely:) I'm a little pea green:)

8:59 PM  
Blogger zeliaevora said...

Oh uau! how i'd love to learn...
i love the colors!

3:15 AM  
Blogger NatRed2 said...

That turned out beautiful. You give me hope of learning to spin. I have been trying to get the hand of the drop spindle without success.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home