Peaknit

Monday, November 10, 2008

What day is it?

Was today a vacation day or a sick day? Gosh, you'd never know if you peeked in my windows today that I took a vacation day today. Why? Because I stayed in my jammies, watched 7 episodes of True Blood while knitting an endpaper mitt. Today I was a sloth. I got up to refill my soda glass.

But I have this pretty mitt...

endpaper1
Hazel Knits Artisan sock in Beachglass and Chocolatier

Other than a Central Square hat I tried this spring, this is my first stranding project. I found it quite addictive, sheesh. It's not without mistakes but I am pleased with it. And I learned a number of other new skills, such as the tubular cast on and kitchener cast off. I love the kitchener. Really. I am pleased with my first mitt and hope to even cast on a second today so I can keep at it and have a pair. Though, I expect the next mitt to take me more than a day. And then, I hope my stranding it worthy of the Fiddlehead...

OMG, my other new fascination, shamedly, is more vampires.
true blood Good grief. I am quite caught up in True Blood, having now watched all 10 episodes On Demand, today. This show is absolutely not child friendly so I have to cram to get it in with any other of my grown-up shows - I admit that I was a little giddy today glued to the lewdness of it all. I was distracted with the mitt, but I am sure I got the gist of it all. I am so drawn into these stories, which surprises me - because I have tried to read Anne Rice in the past - didn't like it. I fought off the Twilight excitement as long as a could - but now I am counting the days til the film is released (that would be 11). Freaky indeed.

Anyways, my day alone ended with running around throwing in laundry, scrubbing my face, putting on "street clothes" on, thawing chicken and putting countless Halloween candy wrappers in the garbage - quite reminiscent of being home in the summer when I was 13 and mom was expected home in 15 minutes, only I didn't have a written list of chores today...so sick day, vacation day - ah, semantics.

23 Comments:

Blogger Kristy said...

Yay for a day at home! Stranded colorwork is my favorite "difficult" knitting to do. I'm glad you gave it a try, and the mitt looks great!

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The endpapers are pretty! We're totally getting into True Blood too. I still have a couple more eps to watch.

7:48 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

We're like twinsies....well, actually no. I'm following in your footsteps. I have the exact same yarn and colors set aside for endpaper mitts (I've been a bit intimidated to try since I haven't knit anything stranded either!). Yours looks fabulous!

And I caved and started Twilight yesterday. On chapter 7 and hooked (and wished I could have taken a day off to try to finish it!).

Glad you enjoyed your vacation/sick day!!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

How about mental health day? They are usally pretty productive!

I absolutely adore that endpaper mitt! One of my very favorite color combinations!

8:17 PM  
Blogger Auntly H said...

Great mitts! They make me wish I didn't hate stranding so much. I haven't recovered from my Poetry in Stitches cardigan yet...

I might have to give these vampires of yours a change. Anne Rice didn't do anything for me, either.

8:50 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

ha. i must say, i stayed in my jammies, last tuesday, until 3! i felt awful, and it felt so good! :)
and look what you have to show for it! i beautiful mitt!!

9:01 PM  
Blogger wiscjennyann said...

Ah, sounds great! And beautiful mitts to show for yourself! Nice.

9:46 PM  
Blogger bockstark.knits said...

you are so NOT going to believe this but yesterday i started some endpapers in chocolatier and lime granita!!! how weird is that??? yours looks much better than mine though since my gauge is really huge (i suck at stranding).

and you should totally read the sookie stackhouse books (all 8 of em), i was obsessed with them as much as the twilight series (if not more). i thought they were a lot more fun since they weren't written for the YA crowd.

1:22 AM  
Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Perhaps you didn't like Anne Rice because of all the religious undertone in her writing....at least that's what I find. But I still like her stories.

Still need to read Twilight.

4:09 AM  
Blogger Knitterella said...

OMG - I'm totally hooked on True Blood too (which surprised me as well). Watching 10 in a row would be great. I hate waiting a week to see what happens next. Bill can bite me anytime!

Beautiful mitt!

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, good for you having a day to yourself. I believe everyone needs one now and then. Your mitt looks great, stranding very worthy of the Fiddlehead. Every time I start a stranded mitten, I say I will never do it again, but I do. I am drawn to it. There is something mesmerizing about watching the pattern emerge...

7:45 AM  
Blogger KnittingMoose said...

Isn't that the best kind of day? We all need those now and then. The mitt you made looks fantastic! Great work on your first stranding project!

I feel the same way about the vampire stories...I too was not a fan of Anne Rice but loved the first Twilight book (haven't gotten to the others yet but soon). I might have to look into that True Blood series...hmm!

7:52 AM  
Blogger Wannabe said...

OMG those mitts are FABULOUS woman!
LOVE!

Dude...True Blood is like a freaking train wreck. I can't stop watching it even though everyone tells me is VERY far off from the books and that the show will ruin them for me. I can't help myself!

8:39 AM  
Blogger Ella said...

OH! *sigh* I would LOVE to have a day like that. Soon. Soon. And to get an endpaper mitt out of it too!

I haven't watched True Blood - actually, I haven't watched ANY tv over the last few weeks due to work, but it sounds enticing....

Take another day and finish those mitts! :D

1:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love those days when you can just lay around all day in your jammies and watch movies. The best!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

I'm so envious you mastered the tubular bind on and off. I just tried with a 2x2 rib and failed miserably. Someday...

Your mitts are strandastic! I just don't have the patience for it. Give me tiny twisted cables any day of the week. So, yes, I'm jealous, cuz thems is pretties!

I'm not a vampire fan, but I love Anna Paquin, and the Sookie character in True Blood. Without on-demand I never would have gotten hooked on a series like this.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Hehe...everyone needs a day like that every once in awhile! Your Endpaper is awesome -- I am in love with that color combo!

10:05 AM  
Blogger Marisol said...

I thin today is a perfect day to knit end paper mitts! Love the colors you chose. Oh my gosh girl---on with the blood suckers. WooHoo I get to continue somehow after the last book comes to a close.

1:23 PM  
Blogger ktb38 said...

You mitt is so lovely! The colors look so nice together. I love true blood so much.

2:05 PM  
Blogger knittingma said...

Wow, I can't believe you knitted that in one day! It's really pretty. All in a good day's work, eh? :)

7:33 PM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

Gorgeous endpaper mitts. You are definitely ready for those fiddlehead mitts.

Glad you had an indulgent day off, sounds wonderful.

8:25 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Love your Endpaper Mitt, such a fun project and great use of the Hazelknits!!

9:12 PM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

Ahhh, what a beautiful day! Gorgeous mitt!!

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home