Peaknit

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Agatha Christie I'm not...

But I have finished the Mystery Sock for Socktober Fest designed by Kirsten of Through the Loops. Thank you Kirsten, you rocked it again!

mystery KAL
Mama Blue Simple Merino in Bramble

The only regret is that I chose a shaded yarn, it seems to have obscured my cables. I was thinking it was more semi-solid (whatever that really means). Oh well, I love them anyways. I have come to the conclusion - "one can never go wrong with purple".

Daylight savings today - yay, an extra hour of sleep - or knitting, or reading, or whatever. I feel like it truly marks fall for me. We had a cold snap recently and I was already beginning to feel the heaviness of winter - but fortunately, we have been blessed with some warmer temperatures the last few days - a trick-or-treat without jackets even. (which reminds me, Susan mentioned Betz's roasted Pumpkin Seed trick on her blog - I have never been able to decently roast a seed, til now - it's a winner.) Anyways, I dread winter after last year's epic, repeated snowfall - and then the farmer's almanac is predicting more for this year. egads.

Ah, but isn't that what knitting is for? To warm toes, hands and heads during the chilly days? How's that for turning a frown upside-down? I am thinking ahead of holiday knits - cowls seems to be showing up on my list more than ever. And fingerless mitts, some cabley hats - and my Fiddlehead Mitten kit - that so needs to be knit up - but I am such a stranding learner, I'm afraid to sacrifice this sought after kit. I had better practice, maybe on the Inga. But how about after November? It's NaKniSweMo - knit a sweater of 50,000 stitches in November. Crazy. Right?

pumpkin

17 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have to tell you, I don't miss the snow. It's lovely on Christmas. (It never feels like Christmas here to me!) But otherwise, I will live vicariously through you.

Lovely job on the socks. Mama Blue is such nice yarn.

Speaking of stranded mittens, have you seen the Galileo mittens from Cosmic Pluto? Really neat looking. I want to do Eunny's anemoi mittens but, like you, I'm a little intimidated by stranding.

11:51 AM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Absolutely gorgeous socks! I think the cables pop in that colorway! I love that colorway too (as you will see later today!).

happy fall!!!

12:55 PM  
Blogger cbknits80 said...

Stranding is fun and easy - give it a try you'll enjoy it I promise!! What sweater are you going to knit?

2:41 PM  
Blogger bockstark.knits said...

i still think the socks look great! and mmmmmmm pumpkin seeds!

4:05 PM  
Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

When I first glanced at these socks I thought, "Oh Cute but not for me". But I have to admit, I started knitting my own socks while your page was still up ( I get easliy distracted, I kept peeking at them out of the corner of my eye and now I love them. Nice job.

4:12 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Looks great! I wish I would've chosen the cabled version!!

4:47 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Your socks look great. Thanks for the pumpkin seed link over at Betz', my seeds never come out right either, hoepfully next year I'll remember to do this!

6:27 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

i am so into purple right now......i LOVE your mystery socks.

and, ahh! butter! i never put butter on our seeds. just salt. i am SO putting butter on ours next year!!!

9:30 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Absolutely Gorgeous socks! I say go for the mittens! Hey I'm game if you are:)

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are so beautiful! You did an awesome job!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Aline said...

A-Wow pair of socks. Purple is my weakness and the texture of these is yummy.
I managed to not burn my seeds this year. Smile. I roasted them in the wood burning cook stove and didn't forget them in there while spinning wool...Yay!

4:19 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I love your socks (and roasted pumpkin seeds are a yummy favorite in our house)!
I think the Bramble colorway is delicious! The cables look great!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

Love the socks -- the purple is great. I'm the bad mom who didn't do pumpkins this year...

good luck with the stranding, I need to try it sometime soon, too!

8:55 PM  
Blogger KnittingMoose said...

Love the socks! I totally agree about the end of DST marking the start of fall. I'm still driving around and looking out windows all agog at the fall color out there! Makes the impending winter seem a little more worth it.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

I think the pattern looks great with that yarn! Maybe it's only in certain light that the cables are lost. Great job!!

10:36 AM  
Blogger knittingma said...

Your socks are pure gorgeousness! Stranded knitting scares me a bit. But I'd love to try the Fiddlehead pattern, as well. Maybe I'll just live vicariously through you for a while. :)

1:20 PM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

We loved those seeds, too. You can't go wrong with butter and salt, right?

I have that fiddlehead mitten pattern and the yarn I want to knit, too. Just go ahead and knit those, you will be fine. Thanks for the Inga hat pattern, I might make that one.

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home