Peaknit

Saturday, December 20, 2008

snow days

snowday

Tis the season in Wisconsin for the fluffy stuff that makes me white knuckle my way to work...I went in later Friday after waiting for the plow to come through. As much as I am not fond of driving in it - I do enjoy "snow days" at work - it is a little slimmer staff-wise, but we have fun, go out to lunch and feel like survivors or something. Silly huh? Today is a balmy 8 below zero. brrr...

I have been knitting but have none to show - because a nosey sister might peek and another project is blocking right now, though I hope to share it later. Tell me - why is it when Christmas is literally in my sights I think up project after project to make? I somehow get inspired just as the man with the bag is darned near loading the sleigh. I cast on a Turn a Sqaure hat this morning mostly because I can't seem to ever sleep in and was looking at Ravelry - again admiring Sheepishone's herd of these hats - and well - stash busting is a good thing right?

But the good news is - I finished my book goal for 2008. 52 books - well I'm 1/2 way through 53 and I listened to half of one on tape and then read at least two halves of other books this year but couldn't get into them. Unfortunately - I have not read any recently worth recommending, in my humble opinion. I just championed through the first 7 books of the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris which spawned the HBO series True Blood. I have been swept way up into the vampire craze this year but this series had a harlequin-ey feel to it for me and way to many supernatural creeps in it to keep them all straight. I'm sad to report that if the series sticks close to the books - I'll be sorely disappointed in some of the characters I have grown to love - okay, actually some of the characters that keep me up at night thinking like a teenaged boy. It's been low committment joy reading - pure pleasure no depth, which is necessity sometimes. But now I am ready for substance. I have already purchased the first book I plan to savor in 2009...

wally lamb

Wally Lamb is one of my favorite authors. I read him before Oprah suggested him - which somehow makes me feel academic...? Or like a smarty pants at the very least. This Much I Know is True is another door stop sized volume but was worth reading at least three times for me - so I am hoping this one will be a re-do as well. I have not really read any reviews because I love Lamb enough to decide for myself - I'll be sure to report back to you all when I wade through it.

I planning to aim for another 52 (at least) is 2009. I will try to make a button even, though I talked of it earlier this year...anyone want to join me? This might even require another blog, hmmm...(see almost Christmas and I think of more things to do...hee hee!)

14 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Well okay fine, my queue at the library is *even* longer. :P Ta ;)

5:42 PM  
Blogger cbknits80 said...

Yay for 52 books!!!! I knew you could do it. You know you can count me in for it next year.

7:17 PM  
Blogger bockstark.knits said...

"thinking like a teenaged boy" - hahaha! i am all about fluff reading now, i kind of like its mindlessness, kinda like knitting/spinning. :)

7:20 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Yippee for 52 books!!! My goal in 2009 is definitely to read more (52 books, nope, but more, yes!!). I love reading though about what everyone else is reading!! Hey, that's how I discovered....Twilight!

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh! i've been looking for a new book to get into. i just put my copy of this one on hold at the local library... thanks! and good luck with the 09 goal!

11:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Brrrrr!!!!! My Dad called from Michigan today and said it was below zero there too. And I thought we were having a cold snap!

Congrats on 52 books! That's very impressive.

12:43 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Hurray on your 52 books! Brrr, indeed. It didn't go above zero here over the weekend.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

53 books in a year? Dang, that's impressive. I'll be interested to see what you have to say about the new Wally Lamb book...I absolutely loved I Know This Much Is True.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Wowza - 52 Books Very impressive! That like one a week:) I'd like to participate but am such a slow poke. I only read on the train ride to and from work:)

If I can keep up as best I can then--I am all over it:)

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those hats are so great. I feel the same way. Just when it's too late to make up anything, I get all inspired! Have a very Merry Christmas!

12:32 PM  
Blogger t does wool said...

oh,I am ordering that Wally Lamb book...I do love all of his writings!
Great hats...and keep warm here...it should be hovering near zero tonite...brrrr!

4:50 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Your reading volume is so impressive!! I like Wally Lamb, too...

7:00 AM  
Blogger Aline said...

Merry Christmas Peaknit! Glad you achieved your reading goal. Thanks for all the wonderful inspiration over here all year.

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just started the Sookie Stackhouse books and am really enjoying so far! I love True Blood. Happy holidays to you!

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home