Peaknit

Monday, December 01, 2008

from the beginning...

handspun_scarf

A completed handspun project - using my own first bits. I used Pigeonroof Studios BFL in Chard and Persimmon. I think I got somewhere in the neighborhood of 120 yards per skein. I cast on 175 stitches on #9 and went until I ran out. Just for fun. I wasn't sure what to do with my little-ish skeins but have so been jonesing for a use for my very own handspun. Oh there are little twisties here and there, the twist is "meh" but I am in love with my scarf, because "I made that". I have even cast another little project with some more handspun. It is so fun to knit with.

I have been on hiatus from my wheel since our vacation but this quick little project has me wanting to have a little tryst with my Lendrum soon. I still have some holiday knitting to do - but I really hope me and my "honey" will be spinning into the New Year.

And just to make the desire to spin even more unbearable, I got my first installment of Funky Carolina's Fiber Club - sheesh, fabulous. And then Pigeonroof is opening up her first fiber club ever - (and a sock club and a luminosity project club...) tonight, my fingers and toes are crossed because I might be stalking if I can manage to stay awake.

I'm a bit tired because all of our new snow in Wisconsin had me up in the night worried about driving in it, I'm a snow-driving-pansy. Um, and I have 4-wheel drive - I know, the nerve!

19 Comments:

Blogger jen said...

LOVE your scarf!!! You've inspired me to make some of my handspun that I was a little "meh" about into a scarf.
Hope you were lucky to get into the fiber club.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful scarf! You really did make it from scratch. Well done. Can't wait to see what else you spin up.

11:40 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

That is absolutely gorgeous! I love all those gorgeous colors too!! Great job!

12:14 AM  
Blogger zeliaevora said...

i truly wish i knew how this is done... so wonderful!

3:19 AM  
Blogger bockstark.knits said...

I will need to get some of that chard, it is a gorgeous colorway! Isn't handspun the best??? I didn't make it for PRS fiber club, only 20 spots, what was she thinking? I hope you got in!

5:09 AM  
Blogger sgeddes said...

Wonderful scarf. I agree that kntitng with handspun is great. I hope you got in the club. I wasn't able to stay awake and I missed getting one of the spots.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Molly Bee said...

Shoulda called me. I was up worrying too and praying for a snow day. Didn't get it, but good news! Lots of folks at Six Flags pay big bucks for the thrill ride that we got yesterday on the way to work!

I am so jealous! You've picked up spinning at lightning speed and you actually knit something with the end result, which I have yet to do!
Knit Night Friday at The Ear!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

What a great project! It's cute and cozy looking, and it must be awesome to knit with your own handspun.

That was quite the burst of snow. We left Milwaukee right as it was beginning, and managed to not have any troubles. One of my dreams is having both 4WD and heated seats.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Marisol said...

You should pat yourself on the back! Great job on this pretty pretty scarf --I love handspun:)

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's lovely! Fantastic work you're doing!

4:11 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I am so impressed! And so is Peeper-Lou!:)

6:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You are not helping my resistance to the spinning..... Gorgeous stuff as usual!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Beautiful!! Both the spinning and the resulting scarf.

I am right there with you on the snow driving pansy thing.

9:57 PM  
Blogger ulli said...

yeah to hand spun! and doesn't krista dye the most beautiful fibers? [ i got a fiber spot, i hope you too].
isn't spinning totally addictive?

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your yarn is so beautiful. I'm amazed that people can just spin up their own yarn and then knit such amazing little treasures. Really nice!

4:24 PM  
Blogger knittingma said...

So pretty! Yes, you definitely need to keep it for yourself. Wear that lovely scarf with pride! :)

9:44 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Love the scarf! So cool that you used the handspun. It must be such a great feeling! :) Enjoy it!

5:09 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

After a three month lapse, I just started spinning again. BFL is amazingly simple to spin. Now I understand all the hype.

Your scarf and your handspun are gorgeous.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

What a great scarf! I am in love with those horizontally knit, garter stitch, handspun scarves. Your two skeins go perfectly together!

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home