Peaknit

Sunday, December 07, 2008

so...what's on your mind?

So what I am wondering is, other than if I can make it to work with all of this snow coming, what kind of holiday drama do you have in your life? Or is it me? I mean, tis the season for joy and giving...isn't it? I warn my criminal offenders each year to beware of the sadness and depression that often creeps in as our responsibilities multiply, the darkness settles earlier every night and families of the extended variety expect more, more, more, more.

I'm totally not a pessimist - I prefer to call myself realistic - prepared, aware, mindful. I am reminded to be real as the holiday approaches and after yesterday came and went with my first family gathering to kick off the season. The old saying "you can't pick your family" aint for nothing. *giggle* If I could just pick who I celebrate with - I would, and most of those people would actually be my family. But there are obligations, it's ineveitable. And it's okay - it is often a good time to reconnect with people, if only for a few hours - but then sometimes I mop my forehead in retrospect and think "glad that's over".

After hearing some post-party commentary from my mom today, I have to share my advice...don't give anyone the power to crap on your holiday - empower yourself to be okay and let whatever you can roll right off of your shoulders while enjoying a favorite cookie, a special ornament, a childhood memory, perhaps a candlelight church service - whatever you do to recharge! Good luck!

cutie_tutti
one of the cutest reasons I enjoy the holidays...

Okay, I swear - no more soapbox til the new year - there is some secret-ish knitting going on - AND I am on book 52!

15 Comments:

Blogger Molly Bee said...

I hear ya! I am making a consious decision to slow down and appreciate the little joys of Christmas-decorations, music etc. It's the same drama every year. I think I'll sit this one out!

9:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't think I'll ever get into Christmas without snow. California Christmas just isn't the same as the midwest. Hopefully I'll get more into it this week. I haven't even started shopping!

10:08 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

I couldn't agree more with you on this post. Thanksgiving this year, although nice, was the "obligation" part. And my compromise, knowing that Christmas was at least a bit more on my terms- spending with the family I want to be with (sometimes its hard when your parents are divorced, and one is crazy enough that they can't be in the same room together). So I'm really looking forward to this Christmas!

I love the holidays every year and just try to keep the slow down and enjoy in perspective when it gets hectic!

1:32 AM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I took knitting to Thanksgiving dinner. It saved my sanity. Did I mention that some people in my family are never wrong, and even though I know this (they don't seem to though), I try to prove my point each time.....Hmm....The knitting helped this year. Either that or a nap. Most of the family is great, though!
Yes, a realist. I am one too!

5:08 AM  
Blogger YarnThrower said...

"don't give anyone the power to crap on your holiday" -- words to live by! Thank you! I'm not a big advocate of drinking, but for family holiday celebrations, I make an exception and have a glass of wine, or three, just to take the edge off...

5:13 AM  
Blogger cbknits80 said...

good words to live by!

5:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great advice. Now if only I could remember and stick to that. I have at least 4 or 5 relatives I'd like to send off to another land. Maybe Santa could take them off my hands....

6:31 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Argh, family drama can get to be just too much over the holidays. Usually I just thank god I'm not the cause of the drama. Good advice on your part.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Wow what a timely message! Just yesterday morning I cried for a good 20 or so minutes because my DH was crapping on my holiday celebration --baking. A few of us spent the holiday baking christmas cookies and he was put out cuz the living room was a mess. You have no idea the attitude and grief I got yesterday morning. I was so upset I wanted to call it quits right then and there. Then I realized I was allowing him to crap all over my holiday spirit!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

We are in tune, b/c I was thinking those thoughts too a week ago. I know I cause most of my own drama when I forget to live by that adage.

Congrats on book 52 on week 49, or is it 50?

1:54 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Thank you! I needed that empowering speech! My drama is not with my family (luckily) or even with my in-laws, but with my brother's in-laws who keep taking him away on some big trip every Christmas or Thanksgiving or Easter that I get to come home even though they live in the same town. I haven't seen him on a holiday in a few years now! It makes me sad...

2:37 PM  
Blogger Diana @ Photodee said...

Wonderful advice. Words to live by, not just for the holidays!
Wow! You are on book 52! Impressive! You did it! My speedy reader hubby's progress dropped off, so no 52 for him! That is quite an accomplishment!

3:17 PM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

It's funny, I was saying something similar to my Mom just the other day... and that is one cutie you have there!

:)

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't let anyone steal my sunshine. They can sprinkle a bit on me but I dry it off. :) Wishing you the best of holidays!

12:47 PM  
Blogger NatRed2 said...

Just start two hours earlier for work...LOL seriously, it should not be that bad. It quit snowing here (mostly ) around 9 pm so it be done in time for your roads to be cleaned b4 rush hour.

I loved being able to spend time with my family this year. I don't often get to.

12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home