Peaknit

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Who thought turning 8 could be so tiring?

liblunch

Happy birthday little girl!

We had an extra special day - my mom and I took my daughter to The American Girl Store in Chicago for a birthday surprise! We took the train down, which is an hour to the station and then another 2 hour commuter jaunt to the Windy City. We hopped a cab and made it to the store in record time.

While we were there we enjoyed some shopping and a delightful lunch - see our "welcome cinnamon buns"? Considering it is fare for the under 12 set, it was darn good and filling. While we ate lunch, Nicki, my daughter's doll, was treated to a hair-do. For an extra $5 she could have a facial - needless to say, she did not need the whole spa treatment. egads. In spite of the swarms of giggly girls, we had a lovely time. I would recommend the trip for any American Girl lover. As much as I am on the fence about perpetuating the idea of grown-up treatment for dolls, American Girl truly seems to support family values, and offers an educational element - there are many time-period specific dolls to help children learn about history in a cool way, and the more current dolls have individual altruistic sideshows - for instance - "Nicki" raises service dogs. There are many well written books to tell about it all. Good stuff for children to read about girls who do good things just because they should - there isn't enough of that in the world, you know? Just walk the streets and be shoved around, honked at and nearly run over and you appreciate some good ole family values:) The world could be a better place if we all learned a little bit from these dolls...

hersheys

We also went to Hershey's - woot woot! Thank gosh Lent is over - Twizzlers abound!

DSC02098
My mom and my 8-year-old:)

And look at the size of that cupcake! Sorry Nani, none for you!

16 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

My daughter turns 8 in November, but she's not in to dolls at all, shame cos I would love to be buying her American Dolls.
Happy birthday to your sweet little girl, what a lovely surprise for her.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to your lovely daughter! How nice to have time for you, your mom, and your daughter. You'll definitely remember those times forever.

11:32 PM  
Blogger sheepish one said...

i have two girls here glued to the screen. (actually, at the moment, they're begging me to hit "back" so they can discern all details from your photos of the tea.)
seriously, that looks like too much fun. we've got four AG dolls in the house and more accessories than i might own for myself. anything to keep my 8 year old from moving beyond dolls!
love the photos, as i'm sure you will in years to come.

12:14 AM  
Blogger Auntly H said...

Happy Birthday, (not so) little girl!

Looks like a fun day. How better to spend a b-day than with your awesome mom and grandma?!

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't think of a better birthday for an eight-year-old girl! What fun...

7:31 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

How fun! I've been to the one in NYC and am glad that my daughter still likes to play with them...

9:14 AM  
Blogger Jean said...

Happy B-day to your beautiful daughter! There's an American Girl Store in one of "our" malls here in LA. It seems like it's becoming a SoCal tourist destination - the place to go right before or after Disney Land. Having a daughter on the way makes me realize I'm going to be in that world myself before long. So it's really nice to hear they support good values.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Veronique said...

I've heard that the AG store in NY is a zoo! I know that little girls go crazy for it (I have to admit that I probably would have at that age too), but parents are more skeptical. I'm glad to hear your review of it, and to see it in a more positive light!

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy happy birthday!!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Happy Happy Birthday to your Beautiful Girl! What an awesome way to spend your birthday:) I am sure she will treasure this memory always!

Hey I love American Girl dolls... I hear they have one that carries my name:)

12:40 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

What a special birthday! I myself got my first American Girl doll, Kirsten -- the Swedish one -- when I was in 3rd grade. I was obsessed with her and all her books, and learned all about immigration to America without even knowing it! I dressed as Kirsten for Halloween that year and I *still* remember the looks on the adults' faces when they asked what I was and I responded, "I am a Swedish immigrant from 1854."

Anyway, all that to say, I think American Girl is a fantastic company and I'm sure your daughter will remember this particular birthday treat for a long time!

5:11 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

What a nice celebration for all of you! And a train ride too!
PS - we have the whole Hershey factory about an hour and a half from my place - pure delight! Chocolate world! :)
A trip to the city always makes me appreciate my rural setting too!
We usually travel to NYC though...

6:28 PM  
Blogger Knitterella said...

Oh how sweet. You two are so cute. Happy Birthday!!!

That ia awesome you are so close to Chicago and can hope on a train at that. I've got a 5 hr drive. Although when I lived by Lake Michigan it was a 2.5 hr drive and it was great! Miss that.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Philigry said...

happy birthday to your little girl. That sounds like such a fun day!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

Awww, Happy Birthday!! 8 years old is so big! :) Sounds like a day she'll never forget. I know I'd be down with the visit to Hershey's... ;) 5 hours to Chicago? I could do that! lol

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a wonderful way to spend a birthday with my beautiful 8 year old grandchild and her beautiful mom, my daughter! I am grateful that I had this invitation, and it was a day we will all remember!
Happy Birthday at American Girl was the best!

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home