Peaknit

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Cast off, cast on

I finshed my simple rib socks with the Scout's Swag - I loved this yarn. It is the first of this kind of have knit up - won't be the last. Done in two weeks exactly!

mankitten

I love having a new pair of socks that I made - love it. But you know - sock knitters cover your eyes - have you ever really considered the time and money that goes into getting one pair of handmade socks? Wow. If you are being honest, can you think of anything more impractical or ridiculous? I don't let myself think about it - denial is not just a river people. On the flip side of that argument is that handknit socks are the most delicious, a serious treat for the feet. By now, I have knit enough socks now to appreciate how awesome they are. I look for them each morning, seek them out and hope I can put together some kind of outfit to match my socks. So I've decided that I just don't let myself think about the cost - time or money! *hands over ears* lalalalalala (Hell, I'm worth it! - heehee)

So what's next? Oh, I have a plan - I'm pretty sure I was cooking up a plan before I turned the second heel on this pair. I saw this pattern via The Woolen Rabbit - it's Tessarae by Anne Hanson from the Knitspot - alledged to be simple, I just love the clean stitches and definition - so this could be the next grab-n-go. As luck would have it, The Woolen Rabbit was willing to dye some Burgandy Bean for me, the same as featured on the pattern. I think it showcases the pattern and it can also represents "earth". (two birds, one stone)

burgandybean2

This is the first Woolen Rabbit yarn I have received - two thumbs up - waaay up! It was mailbox to swift in 60 minutes flat, now that's special yarn. I was sold when I saw the Tesserae. I'll let you know how it knits up but in the skein and cake, I want to frost it and eat it. (would it be considered unnatural for my mouth to be watering at the thought of eating yarn? Is there some medical term for this ailment? yarnus-freakaliscious-itis?)

24 Comments:

Blogger Kristy said...

Yes, socks are expensive in time and money, but I think about it as entertainment, and the socks are the nice side effect of that :) I'd never drive several hours and pay $25 for a pair of the same socks, so there's got to be more to it than time and money!

5:04 PM  
Blogger bockstark.knits said...

Your lederhosen socks are GORGEOUS and dude, that Woolen Rabbit!!! I had to "accidentally" close my browser to keep me from ordering!!! That's some pretty stuff!

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I'll ever be a true sock knitter because I do think my yarn money is better spent elsewhere. But sometimes, there is just nothing better than knitting up a little pair of socks. Nothing.

Those are some really pretty socks, and I think your next choice could be just as nice.

5:39 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I know, socks are totally pointless!! But they are portable...

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you about knitting socks being an expensive hobby but so is golfing! And I think that at least you have a gorgeous pair of socks when you're done! Your Scout socks are gorgeous, and the Woolen Rabbit yarn is just awesome! Have fun!

7:01 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I happen to love handknit socks. I figure, for the amount of entertainment, it's worth it, and so am I, and the people I knit for.
Then again, I love socks, period. Having them handknit is especially nice. I smile all day long when I'm wearing handknit socks!
BTW - love those Scout socks - my favorite colors!

7:04 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Yes, I totally refuse to even think about how much time and money is put in to a hand knit pair of socks - if I thought about it I couldn't justify it.... so I don't ;-) Same about the $100+ I just spent today on DB Cathay to knit a cardy. I've never spent that much on a sweater in my LIFE!! But I will not think about it - no I shan't you can't make me. One thing I'm hoping though is that it lasts much much longer than a pair of socks ;)

7:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I totally just went and bought that pattern. Thanks for the link!

Handmade socks have love in them. When you spend as much time on your feet as we do, you need that love to protect your tootsies! And who can put a price on that?

9:59 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

That Woolen Rabbit yarn is sooo pretty, yum..brown. Lederhosen socks love them. Makes me want to knit mine now! :)

11:26 PM  
Blogger YarnSnob said...

lovely socks! You have a good eye for collection, its my kind of colour, love it!
Handmade socks are special, they feel extra cozy!

2:36 AM  
Blogger knitspot anne said...

oh what a treat! the woolen rabbit yarn, i mean .. .it really is luxurious.

8:40 AM  
Blogger knittingma said...

Yes, I think I've just become numb to the cost and time involved in hand knit socks. When I first saw the cost of the luxurious sock yarns, I was like "what?!" Now I can't help buying and stashing, buying and stashing. :)

That Woolen Rabbit is amazing. I love the color--your socks will be gorgeous! And your Scout's Swag socks are super pretty, as well.

PS. Your "word verification" bar says "goofsir." Heehee!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Handknits socks purely decadent? You betcha!

You're worth it. We all are!!!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Sally W said...

Kind of expensive and time consuming, but you now have a pair of socks no one else has. Don't people pay a lot for "one of a kind"??

10:46 AM  
Blogger KnittingMoose said...

Nice socks! I know what you mean about the time and expense...but you, and I, and other sock knitters, are indeed worth it! :) To me, the fun is in picking out the yarn, getting the yarn, winding it, admiring it, and knitting it. It's all definitely worth it.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Marisol said...

LOVE the Ledderhosen --great job! And hand knit socks are the best... Yes they do take lots of time and money --but I agree with the you its all about the LOVE that is knit right in! When I ask my DH what he would like me to knit for him --they only thing he wants is socks:) I keep trying to push hats or scarves but he is not buying it. He's no dummy he knows a good thing:)

8:47 AM  
Blogger Minerva Turkey said...

Beautiful job on that pair. They look very comfy.

Sock knitting is expensive, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't bother me. They make me happy.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

I might just have to order that pattern-wow!

...and yes, you can be my valentine anytime.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

Wow; that pattern is great...now I have to add it to my queue! Perhaps sock knitting doesn't make sense in a $$/time way, but once you slide them on you stop thinking in terms of dollars & cents. There's no way to put a price tag on a smile everytime you look at your feet...

9:55 PM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

OMG I fuss about the mileage I'm getting in my car, watching the digital display obsessively. But all I can acknowledge about the impracticality of sock knitting is my shock when buying my first $20 skein of sock yarn nine months ago.

Once I left the store I never looked back and can barely even acknowledge it is impractical. Knitting is one of life's cheapest entertainments, even with luxury yarns. And in the end you get to swath your toes in a soft and sturdy sock that is as beautiful, as it is useful.

So, I'll have to beg to differ, it's totally practical, imnsho. :-P

And your socks are gorgeous. I love that colorway.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

Hey, did you ever finish your crochet ripple stitch blanket?

5:46 PM  
Blogger Elemmaciltur said...

Oooh, I think that my next pair of socks might have to be the Mankitten in Lederhosn!

2:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful socks!

10:13 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Yay for finished socks! And oh my goodness, that yarn is just gorgeous! The color is so deep and intense-love, love, love it!

Happy knitting-
ali

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home