Peaknit

Saturday, April 05, 2008

mother earth

earth

The earth. That is the element for April and May for Project Spectrum - the colors representative of earth are brown, green and metallics. This could not be more accurate in the midwest - as the moist earth has inhaled all of the snow, snow, snow - leaving mucky, dank grass with occasional peeps of green - (the only downside of disappearing snow might be the dog poop that is uncovers - blech, another sh*tty project, hee hee.)

I raked my flowerbeds today and was stunned to see so many little sprouts hiding the heads -today they squinched their eyes shut against the sun (okay, not really) and rejoiced the coming of Spring with me. I hope they were ready to have their blanket of compost ripped away...we'll see. The fresh air seems to make my productivity quotient go up. I have been out walking every day this week and now I turn longingly towards my bicycle, hidden in the garage rafters for an eternity. After I hurt my back last summer the bike went up - now I am hoping to hit the trail - soon.

madder ribbed sock

I have the first sock of my first earth project finished. It a simple rib design from Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush - it's specifically the Madder Ribbed Sock which has a horshoe heel - like a little cup for my foot, with a purl row up the back of the heel flap - I love it. The toe is decreased to 4 stitches which are pulled together - I think ultimately I prefer the kitchener toe but this was a nice variation to try. This sock has been a great grab and go sock. I started it on the train to Chicago last week and had it done in 7 days of on and off knitting - knitting by the bathtub while my 2-year-old splashes, over lunch conversation on a rainy day, in the car on the way to the grocery store - as a working mom, I do try to grab up on the weirdest little bits of knit time wherever I can.

The sock feels tailor made - a great fit. The yarn in Scout's Swag in Tyrolean Mankitten in Lederhosen (read about the story behind the yarn here)- the deep brown represents earth but to me the colorway also emulates the sky, and a golden tan. It's plain delicious.

estonian sock

Lastly, the finale of the Fire element - the unfinished finale - the Estonian Sock from The Ultimate Sock Book. I'm using Wollmeise sockenwoll in the La Digitessa colorway. I love the interesting cuff and complicated-ish patterning - but the stockinette back is what pulled me in - heavy charting meets simplicity. It means I can relax for two needles worth of knitting on each round *giggle*...I hope to keep working on these but these do not qualify for any kind of grab-n-go, so it may be next Spring before these babies are done. I'll consider it an aspiration. For now I need to kick up my heels and worship the mild temperature and here-today-gone-tomorrow sunshine.

btw - loved people's responses to "words" from the last post - glad a few people also giggle over *bozo* - I enjoyed hearing what words made people involuntarily respond. Others for me include *mope* and *curmudgeon* - words that sound like their definition as noted by Chicken Knits. Maybe we need a "word of the week"...hmmm, like the 52 Books in a Year goal - yup, no button on that yet - never enough time in the day. Enjoy yours and thank you for stopping by! (how did this post get so long - thank you if you made it this far:)

19 Comments:

Blogger bockstark.knits said...

seriously drooling here!!! your mankitten socks are gorgeous!!!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Love your montage of pretty greens and browns. We are having gorgeous weather today, sunny and 80 :) I've been pottering around on my upstairs balcony.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

Oh my, that took my breath away. Thank you. I think browns and greens are my favorite, how could you not love that?

Isn't it a beautiful day? I'm off for a run right now.
susie

3:12 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Those are some lovely socks! I love the brown ones, and have often wondered how socks without a kitchener toe would feel (I kitchener all of mine). And it is funny how we grab knitting time as working mothers....I knit in the doctor's office this week during an echocardiogram (for my DD).....

3:35 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Yes this is one seriously gorgeous post my dear! Amazing collage and gorgeous socks! What more can a sock lover ask for:)

3:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great socks! I really love the Digitessa colorway.

All those greens make me so happy. It's good to be an earth color lover!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Gramknits said...

If you hurry before it is up too far I have some rhubarb what wants to vist your other plants that are peeking their heads out.

9:01 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Those greens, those GREENS!!

10:04 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Love your mosiac! So pretty. I'm very excited about this round of project spectrum.

As far as words.... too funny!

Isn't this warm weather intoxicating?

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought of another word - "smitten." Speaking of which, (nice seque [another!], huh?) that's a beautiful collection of earth tones. Your Estonian sock is amazing!

4:33 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

wow. that mosaic is REALLY beautiful!!!
love love love that colorway and your sock out of scouts yarn. that has always been a favorite color combo of mine.
also love your addition to fire..........beautiful pattern.

bozo. funny. :)

10:18 PM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

Wow, that Estonian sock is gorgeous! Love the montage of yarn & projects...it makes me want to roll about in fresh new grass (although there isn't any in my yard, yet...) ;)

8:22 PM  
Blogger KnittingMoose said...

Love all those gorgeous colors! And the pattern of the red sock is truly gorgeous.

8:59 PM  
Blogger knittingma said...

Your socks are so pretty. Love that Scout's Swag! And your collage of photos is really inspiring (and springish). I think I'll go and cast on now... :)

9:23 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

Both your socks today are gorgeous! I love them both intensely, in totally different ways!

2:55 PM  
Blogger gray la gran said...

i am such a project spectrum flunkie that i didn't know the colors for the next "season". but, i am happy to see green, as i have lots of green sock yarn.
i love your socks ... the colors make me think of caramel and chocolate ... delicious!
(and i can't wait to see the brown&blues knitted!!! i love that combo especially =)

6:12 PM  
Blogger Scoutj said...

:)

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh what beautiful eyecandy, such a treat for the soul! =)

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful mosaic! So gorgeous.

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home