Peaknit

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Surprise!

I must preface by saying...this was the longest week I have had in awhile. I am reveling in some Saturday sunshine - after a week of rain and flooding in my area of the midwest. The small town where I work is experiencing a lot of flood problems - most of the bridges have been closed, major traffic angst. It feels somehow apocoloyptic - the crazy tornnado skies, sirens blasting, emergency personnel and city employees working overtime. The jail even asked that I not order someone in for the weekend because they were getting close to septic backup so severe that they were looking to take all of the inmates to the fairgrounds - how Con-Air is that? The interstate is closed, rivers bulging. I feel blessed to live on higher ground but so many people are struggling right now.

To escape some grim reality, a girl has to knit. I actually have been knitting, though not as much as I would have liked during this busy week - but I did finish my Baby Surprise Jacket today - sheesh, finally. I had to try an applied and cast off i-cord edge after seeing Frickknits' version. The i-cord was great till I had to stop and seam, so I cast off the i-cord and tried to undo the wrong end to continue around the neckline. Doh! So I set it aside for the week - but was able to finish at last this morning. It is far from perfect but not bad for my first BSJ. I cannot recommend the DVD enough - a visual learner like me can way benefit from a little Meg Swenson in the living room.

My creation

Baby Surprise Jacket by Elizabeth Zimmerman
Pigeonroof Studios Sportweight in Royale


I would like to make more, the knit really is a surprise, it just looks like nothing until you cast off and put together the puzzle. I would love to make a larger version for my 3 year old to sport this fall. Next I am thinking I should make the February Sweater as a warm up for my very own ladies version - the most queued pattern at Ravelry, gratis from the awesomest flintknits. Such big ideas, huh?

I've got more knitting to share later, for real.

18 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Your first BSJ is lovely! I really like the colors that you chose!
Horror about the flooding. We are having record high temperatures here.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

Your baby's a beauty!

1:13 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

It looks lovely. And very pretty colors.

1:50 PM  
Blogger knittingma said...

Your BSJ is wonderful. Perfect. And I'm sure your larger one for your daughter will be beautiful, too! I'm definitely loving the February Lady Sweater--queued it a few days ago, although only the Lord knows when I'll get to it, with such a long queue!

I had no idea about the flooding! I really don't watch the news at all right now. Glad you're okay and your family is doing well, though!

2:28 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Your BSj is lovely and i like the buttons.

Love a good pattern.

The flooding is horrible. We had thought about heading north in the RV (we are full-timers), but I decided to have a partial knee replacement instead. I Guess we would have been trying to find alternative routes from Texas.

Am glad you are okay and will be hoping the the worst is over.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so glad you are OK. I have been thinking about you this week.

The BSJ is lovely! Maybe I need to DVD to get me to knit this one. I tried it and something went awry.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I grew up in the deep south where we had flooding on a regular basis so boy do I mean it when I say I hope it stops raining for you guys soon! (not that anyone who didn't grow up that way means it less) Tornadoes I know nothing about, they scare the bejeez out of me.

4:02 PM  
Blogger mle said...

The baby sweater is too adorabel! that yarn is just gorgeous!
I've been hearing about the record flooding in that area...I have certainly been keeping everyone there in my thoughts and prayers. That would be aweful to go through a flood like that. Glad you live on high ground!

5:23 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

The surprise jacket turned out wonderfully!! So pretty too!

I can't even imagine the flooding, etc. So glad you and your family are okay though!

7:02 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Very nice surprise! I love the combination of colors you used:)

So sorry to hear about all the flooding problems:( I have been watching on TV --its absolutely terrible! I really hope things get better soon ---we must all pray and think of dry happy thoughts!

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love yours! Wonderful colors!

1:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, it's so cute! I love the wool you chose. I have got to add this to my list.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

WIth new nephew in m yfamily - BSJ is perfect solution!

3:31 PM  
Blogger Knitterella said...

The weather has been so crazy lately. Scary crazy!

Your BSJ is so sweet! I don't know much about these but my LYS is going to be offering a class - I should look into that for sure. Your is so cute!

Thanks for the awesome pattern links too - Gosh, just love the February Sweater and the Ladies version!

6:05 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Very cute BSJ! I love the way those colors knit up.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Where would we be without big ideas! That's a great bsj.

8:31 AM  
Blogger KnittingMoose said...

Gorgeous sweater! I love the edging. I'd love to try that pattern some day, it's so neat.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

I'm so behind on my blogroll, you'll forgive if I stalk all your old posts???

The BSJ is so lovely. Bully for you on the i-cord edge. I have some kind of resistence to that technique even though it is so lovely.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home