Peaknit

Sunday, January 25, 2009

catching up

It's been a good weekend of knitting friends - old ones and new ones...

tuvolu knitting

I went to a new-to-me coffee shop and met my friend Tina. We ate a really great lunch and then we knit. It was so nice to knit with someone. In a great chair, at a great little cafe, with a great friend. We chatted - it's been too long - so many things to talk about. She is a relatively new knitter so I had fun being a mentor. I gifted her the Thermis Cowl I knit, for her birthday - I put the buttons on this morning under the buzzer. Two women at the cafe approached us and commented on it - they liked it but didn't know what it was - I assured them that cowls are the thing. Tina raved to this ladies about my knitting skills so much I was embarassed - in a good way. aw, shucks.

On Friday, I was at a gathering at my husband's work place when his co-worker's wife sought me out. She started something like this..."I'm really not a stalker" - I was charmed for real. It was so nice to be in a place where bikes are made to have a chance to talk knitting with a serious knitter for an hour. As a purely-for-the-fun of-it-biker-fish out of water I suddenly felt comfortable. We chatted up about Ravelry, patterns, gatherings, what knitting is to us. It was nice to meet you Jeanie! Remember you promised to comment *wink, wink*

On Saturday, I finished The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. I ramble on about it here. I really have to recommend this one. It appeals, at least in part, to the animal loving part of me. My nickname is not the Pied Piper for nothing - it is not uncommon for me to have a cat or dog, or both next to me no matter where I am - putting on my make-up, taking a bath, reading, writing on my blog (hello, Ernest - who is at my knee right now). Peaknit the Pied Piper - kinda works. Anyways - if you read, I'd love to hear what you think - the reviews might be mixed, we'll see.

Finally, I also did some more spinning this weekend, I had a very nice fiber related weekend - but it's hard to divide my time between my favorite-est albeit selfish things to do, knitting, spinning, reading. A working mom only has so many hours in the day - and I think I need to spend more of them sleeping for awhile. Night Night bloggy friends.

**ETA: I just listened to Oprah's live webcast with the author of Edgar Sawtelle, David Wroblewski - listening absolutely added to the richness of this moving book for me. It made even deeper sense of things for me. Just an FYI, the webcast will be available on Oprah.com tomorrow and the podcast on ITunes.:)

17 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

Knitting friends are the best, nice to hear you had a great week.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I live so rurally that knitting with others is truly a novelty! Glad you enjoyed your weekend. I love talking about anything knitterly related!

8:19 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

sounds lovely to knit with a friend, wish I could :-/ but I have none that knit!

9:34 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

I didn't read your post of Edgar yet as its on my desk waiting to be read next. So glad to hear you enjoyed it though!

Sounds like a great weekend!! I love getting together with my knitting friends (just knitting today at my LYS)!

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How great is that when people stop to ask you about something you made yourself?! Sounds like a perfect fiber-filled weekend.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Ella said...

Sounds like a GREAT weekend to me! Everyone needs personal time, mommies especially!

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm on the waiting list for that book at the library - now I'm really excited to read it.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

What a great weekend you had...yay for knitting friends!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Yes indeed, catch your zzzzs... Its important to take care of yourself. What a great weekend --fibery filled reading weekends are the absolute best. With your friends and loved ones of course.

1:31 PM  
Blogger bockstark.knits said...

sounds like you're having a great time!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Jeanie said...

It was nice to put a face to the blog, so to speak. What a cute couple you are! I am taking "Edgar" to New Orleans with us. Great review.

7:08 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Fun times. I have met a ton of Ravelers and knitters this past week, it's amazing how we're everywhere!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Oooh I got that book for Christmas... as I fellow animal lover, I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

Sounds like heaven. IRL I am in a knitter free zone. Good for you to have a day out like that.

6:37 AM  
Blogger t does wool said...

catching up..taking a breather...with a friend..priceless.

4:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the lucky friend who got to spend time with my best buddy. Stacey, you are truly talented and a forever caring friend. Thank you for the great time at Tuvalu and I look forward to doing this again MANY times and VERY soon.

XOXO

8:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm still waiting on pbs for Edgar Sawtelle. Good to know it's a keeper!

12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home