Peaknit

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

the road ahead...

This year is getting off to an interesting start - I can see far into my knitting/ reading future as my queue grows faster than I can knit or read. I have such a glorious pile of books, it is making me a little anxious. I have several on loan to me from my brother-in-law and I am antsy thinking, "I should read and get these back" but then books like Citizen Soldier show up today from Paperbackswap.com and omg, I want to dig in after my Band of Brother's Marathon. Okay, I took lamaze - I need to do my breathing hoo hoo hoo. I'll get to it all, right?

Then I have knitting projects piling up next to my stack of books. I have cast on several things since the beginning of the year and wound yarn for several more. I knit some simple mittens for my 3-year-old with the leftovers of the handspun from my Toasty - and as luck would have it I ran out of yarn at the thumbs - so I unraveled the tops of my Toasty mitts and knit the thumbs - they were connected as if by an umbillical cord - much like me and the receiver of these tiny mittens - it was kind of fun - proving that even frogging can be fun, or a journey perhaps.

mitts3

I also knit a hat for my daughter's American Girl Doll. It is Through The Loops! pattern for the Thorpe - just downsized, I used dk yarn on a size 7 needle and knit the medium hat, could have probably knit the small - and knit as is. My big sweetie took the hat to school to showcase it to all of her buddies, I thought that was special.

samantha_thorpe2

Today I had a little time at the hospital where my father-in-law was getting a tune-up to swatch for my Acer. I really want to finish this sweater before spring, and getting the swatch out of the way is liberating. I have it blocking right now - my lazy self really hopes this is a one-swatch project. Then I cast on an Inga hat for my husband - he decided that as long as the colors matched his tri-bike, the nordic-y-ness of the hat made it manly, so well see. And I also wound some Yarntini Peaknit sportweight for a baby sweater for someone - just because I wanted to wind some yummy pink bubblegum yarn, and I always have big ideas of how many projects one person needs to fill a day at the hospital - never touched it. Good intentions...aren't they supposed to pave the road to hell? Oh jeez, here I come.

20 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

What a great start to your projects for this year! Wishing you a very wonderful 2009 and Happy Knitting!!

8:01 PM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

Lovely mittens! Such a sweet photo... Isn't casting on new projects wonderful? :)

Can't wait to hear about the books you read this year! :)

10:17 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Love the mittens and the cute hat! I'm the same way...new books from Christmas to read, so many projects I want to start, where does the time go!

11:07 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Lol! This post totally cracked me up! I love when you started doing lamaze in the first paragraph.

Oh how sweet those little mittens are!

9:58 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

That photo of you two in your mitts and mittens is so sweet! I love the colors -- what a nice contrast to all the snow.

Hope all went well at the hospital. In my experience it never hurts to bring extra books and knitting.

10:26 AM  
Blogger ulli said...

love the mittens. and HELLO to new beginnings...

11:31 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

What a great parallel with you knitting your daughter's mittens! It looks like you have some exciting things coming up! Enjoy splashing around in the possibilities :)

6:31 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

The Thorpe is sooo cute!! And yay for Inga, I love that pattern:)

6:34 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

I love it all, happy knitting in 2009 indeed! This really makes me want to cast on some of my handspun!

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have so many goals for my year too! (knitting) and I have so many books I've been meaning to read. I wish I could read and knit at the same time, but alas I am just not that talented :P

8:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We really so similar! I have so many ideas to knit, books to read, and things to experience that it's almost overwhelming. I suppose that's better than boredom!

9:46 PM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

What a great idea for those thumbs. And sweet as heck, too.

Good luck facing down all on the todo list! It's exhausting for me to just think about what you have to do! ;-p

6:57 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Love the mittens and the hat for the doll is just tooooo cute! Happy knitting!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Molly Bee said...

Cool knitting! Those little mitties are so cute. People magazine had a review of The Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Sue Corbett today that looks AWESOME! (just to pile on a little more bookly angst)!

6:44 PM  
Blogger Molly Bee said...

Sorry! The authors name is Tiffany Baker (the reviewer's name was Sue Corbett). Also, Wally Lambs new book "I Know This Much Is True" is also to die for. Just sayin!

6:47 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Awesome start I say! I have been up to a lot o the same... cast happy with such lovely yarns surroounding us and the promise of a new year and new beginnings --who can resist!

Iterestingly enough, I have yarn and that thorpe hat out too wanting to cast on a hat for my little cowboy:) See what I mean same wavelength...

9:45 PM  
Blogger bockstark.knits said...

Love those mittens! They are gorgeous!!!

10:01 PM  
Blogger KnittySue said...

Lovely knits...and such pretty yarn.

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I already commented on Ravelry, but these mittens are beautiful. I love the whole story about unraveling yours to finish hers. And the handspun is just GORGEOUS!

8:11 AM  
Blogger Minerva Turkey said...

These mittens are so adorable. They make me wish I lived somewhere that it actually got cold.

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home