Peaknit

Sunday, January 11, 2009

ramblings...sock yarn...and a movie

Something is so liberating about clearing things out my stash. Ravelry lends itself so nicely to this process. I have been thinning the herd, but I need to be straight with you and say - I have been buying things from other people's stashes. I have been trading up in some sense for things that I am more content to share my space with. (like some Plucky MCN, some coveted Hello Yarn club fiber - squee!) Give a little get a little. And I'm not out anything except a little time, whew. The good news is I haven't been spending any new money - that is a good thing. Because seriously, I'm feeling embarrassingly overindulgent about my stash - 2009 must mean a new leaf. I mean, look at this economy - sheesh. Time to get a grip, Peaknit!

But first, I do have a couple of yarny things to share...just two more things, generous holiday gifts...

I was given some Julie Spins, thank you very much knitting penpal - Christine somehow manages to always send me new things. The Merino/ Cashmere/ Nylon (MCN) bases slay me. Period.

grapelicious
Julie Spins Grapelicious

Another exciting thing is Yarntini's Happy Hour Sock Club - the memberships close tomorrow - so grab up! She is offering a choice of some of her favorite self-stripings as an extra little something for a great price. I just love her vibrant colors - she was my first favorite indie dyer. My first indie love, you know kind of like you always love your first boyfriend? It's like that. I have been lucky enough to get treated to a membership for no apparent reason, just generosity and kindness...such yarn blessings in '09.

Yarn-love aside - I was so moved by a I saw a movie last night - I really need to share. The Reader (based on this book) with Kate Winslet and Ralph Fiennes. I saw it at the Sundance theater with my sister and just the trailors thralled me (I know, trailors! independant films are like that for me, I want them all - damn, like indie dyers, huh?). Anyways, I read the book years ago and was touched by. It's sentimental for me. The movie was adapted flawlessly. The story is sort of painful - a May-December relationship deeply affects a naive teenager - later played by Fiennes, in such a way, it distracts him - from living. The emotions are palpable.

In addition to the deeply touching story, the act of reading, the need for it, is a thread through the film - this hits it out of the park for me - a reader - I feel bonded somehow. And lastly, I came home to the Golden Globes - Kate Winslet picked up best supporting actress - the icing on the cake.

next up - Revolutionary Road - I started reading it last night and it just happens to be coming out next Friday - another Winslet award winner. hmm.

10 Comments:

Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

I have to agree, ravelry is a great place for destashing! And yes, one must be careful about then seeing what everyone else has to destash!!

Can't wait to see both the Reader (loved the book!) and Revolutionary Road!! Hoping to catch up on the movie going this upcoming three day weekend (yes, its Monday, and I'm already thinking about the weekend!).

1:38 AM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

thanks for the thumbs up on the reader....i am on a movie kick, and really want to see that.....along with revolutionary road!

9:13 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

If you're just trading yarn/fiber, it's not too overindulgent! Nothing wrong with having a stash you love. :)

I have GOT to see The Reader.

12:05 PM  
Blogger knittingma said...

Oooh, the movie sounds great. And that JulieSpins is beautiful! I think there's nothing wrong with selling in order to buy. And yes, Rav is a great place for destashing (and enhancing). :)

12:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kate Winslet is brilliant. I'm so glad she's getting parts that show off her incredible skill. (with the awards to prove it!)

4:15 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Revolutionary Road and The Reader are now on my to-read and to-see lists! Thanks for the review. You're lucky to have a Sundance theater. I used to live 1 block east of Hilldale (01-03), so it's really crazy for me to see how much the area has changed and gentrified.

4:31 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I saw both films this week end and was blown away:) Next up for you: Milk and Slumdog Millionaire!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I really want to see this movie too! And Slum Dog Millionaire! Such rave reviews.
I agree that Kate Winslet is incredibly talented. She plays a great Marianne Dashwood in S&S in the 1995 BBC version.

5:04 AM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

Love, love, love Kate Winslet. I really want to see both of her new movies.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I know I already commented on this post, but a HUGE thanks about the Yarntini sock club - I made it under the wire. LOVE yarntini! Can never manage to snag much of her yarn in sneak-ups and such. So, again, thanks so much!

6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home