Peaknit

Saturday, January 31, 2009

resolute progress...

One of my resolutions this year was to find knitting friends. I can check it off my list - I did it. *blush*

Every other Tuesday, a group meets at the Harmony Bar. Harmony is located in a bohemian neighborhood of Madison. I imagine the bartender there asks patrons "the usual?". I hadn't been there in 15 years, first I missed it and then I admit that I drove around the blocks several times wondering if I could walk in alone... I mean, maybe there would be no place to park, maybe no knitters would be there, maybe I was too early. I don't think I am good at meeting people - but I want some nearby knitting friends, so I knew I what I had to do. Worst case scenario - I would walk in the front door and out the back, right? I would have still counted this as progress for the wall flower. em.

Anyways, I saw a little group at a back table. I stalked up and breathlessly announced "I'm Peaknit, and it took a lot of courage for me to come in here.":) whew, big breath. (talk about just jumping in with the potential of looking like a totally friendless fool) The knitters were so welcoming. I sat down, ordered a fabulous Blue Cheese burger and pulled out my scarf. (I knew enough to take mindless knitting, so I could focus) The talk was easy, these ladies were so fun. One specifically said "we swear a lot", oh thank you - I'm home.

The group grew to about 12+ women through the evening. One of their husbands works with mine. The world is small - and a nice one. I am glad I went and will count the days til I go again. To further impress upon you the severity of my nerdness, I came home and wrote down the names of everyone I could remember, looked them up in a Madison ravelry group and wrote their Rav names next to their real names. I'm nothing if not studious.

Anyways, because I think every posts needs something pretty, my scarf:

scarfness

The Brulee. A great way to incorporate some handspun. It only awaits fabulous buttons. I stole this entire inspiration from knitPhilistine, see hers here - right down to the Mission Falls buttons. I confessed my copycattedness to her and she offered to get me some buttons at her yarn store. Where does the kindness of knitters end? Of course, I hope I never find out.

p.s. Tuesday rocked a lot actually. I got a huge report for Court off my desk and delivered to the court house. So I took the afternoon off and treated myself to Revolutionary Road at the theater before the knit group. Great acting - but middle class peoples who had higher hopes could leave awful damn depressed. "I'm too well read to be at a job I hate" - says Leonardo Di Caprio. Peaknit says - get a hobby!

17 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

I totally know how you feel! I did the same thing with our local group, I consider myself personable but always get nervous in those situations. I think I need a wing woman next time.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

That's so great you joined a knitters group! Have fun with them. :)

7:42 PM  
Blogger Clumsy Knitter said...

OMG, I have tried the join-a-knitting-group-blind thing twice now. The first time was HORRIBLE--no one talked to me! The second time, I couldn't find parking (no lie!) so I ended up turning around and going back home. I'm glad it worked out well for you though! :)

8:09 PM  
Blogger leah said...

I felt the exact same way! Now I can't wait for Tuesdays!!

8:58 PM  
Blogger ulli said...

good for you! isn't it wonderful to meet people which have the same passion. i love my group

9:27 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

I'm glad you got brave and found a group! The scarf is very pretty, and it will look great with those buttons!

10:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good for you! I'm glad you ventured out and had a good time.

12:45 AM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

That's how I was with my local SnB a few years ago. So nervous...and now some of these women are dear friends! So glad you joined and now have local knit friends!!

okay, I did have a giggle at the going home and writing their names down :)

12:52 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

Congrats on gathering your fortitude! I tried once and, well, it just felt wrong for me. I don't think I'm ready for prime time. :-/

That quote from DiCaprio is bleak. Heavy words for a Sunday...

6:53 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Good for you! I am always nervous before meeting people in situations like that;)

7:20 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Well done you, and glad you met some nice knitters. I would really like to do the same but I never get around to going to the book store where I know they meet!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Congrats on trying something new! I was very anxious the first time I went to my knitting group, too, and now I'm the fearless leader!

I haven't been to the Harmony in quite a while -- it's over on Atwood, right?

Paul and I are heading to Madison for Valentine's weekend, and I'm so excited! Dinner at L'etoile for the first time ever. Plus I'm planning some quality time at Lakeside Fibers.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a hard time joining groups. I have never felt cool enough, funny enough, smart enough... I always feel hopelessly awkward. It sounds like you found a great group!!!
I want to see Revolutionary Road, but I figured it would make me depressed.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Good for you. Isn't it fun to hang out with fellow knitters.

11:28 AM  
Blogger knittingma said...

Oh, I love your scarf! A wonderful way to use some handspun, indeed. I'll have to remember that one. :)

It sounds like you had a lot of fun at the group. Cheers to you for being brave!

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! I need to make more knitterly friends too. I'd love to sit and knit with someone!

8:18 PM  
Blogger wiscjennyann said...

That's great! I have been meaning to check out that group for a while (it is v. close to where I live too!). You've also inspired me to make the commitment to check out the SnB in Amsterdam when I arrive next week.
(Chanting:)
I will make knitting friends.
I will make knitting friends.
I will make knitting friends!

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home