Peaknit

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Day!

helleheart
Pigeonroof Studios - Helleborus

I just love Valentine's time - I love the girly colors, the special goodies, the overall goodwill. I don't know, I catch a happy little bug every mid-February. Um, the mild tempuratures we enjoyed for a couple of days probably did not hurt...

I am not a romantic - I think I fancied myself to be one early in my now very comfortable relationship. Now, I am practical. Contrived romance makes me giggle, sorry dh. Thankfully, he falls flat in that department anyhow, it is not his "gift" shall we say. However, we did enjoy a wonderful fish fry last night and stole away to see Gran Torino (which I absolutely loved, when crotchety old Clint Eastwood makes you laugh, it's a winner). You see, February 13th is our "engagement" anniversary - 16 years ago yesterday he handed me a ring - so it seems worthy of celebration - and each year we beat the Valentine's dinner crowd. We were meant to be practical.

Around here, Valentine's Day is for the kids. I admit that I felt a pang of envy as my 8-year-old tucked her cool, handmade Valentine's "locker" and her i-pod treats under her arm for her school party. I remember being in grade school and writing out cards for my classmates - leaving no one out, yet I personally could not help saving the most treasured of the commercial bunch for a special friend or two? As a matter of fact, thinking about this blog post prompted me to dig out one such special card from 1979. omg, I had the biggest 7-year-old crush on "Steve". This crush lasted through grade school, we remained friends until he left this earth in 1993. And I was, and still am sure he saved this one for me in 1979.

Picture 080

It is stashed in one of those old magnetic paged albums - and archival no-no. I almost teared up looking at all of these cards, such fond memories. There is nothing like a walk into yesterday. Okay, for now I need to get back today and clean those bathrooms.

Oh, and because this is a blog about knitting afterall...
Picture 075
more about these later...

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Valentine's Day!!! Hopefully it's full of love.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Happy Valentine's Day!

1:46 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Happy Valentine's Day!! I'm not super romantic either (e.g., Snowboarder and I both picked out our cards for each other yesterday while we were together at the store...how silly! we don't do gifts though!), but I've always loved Valentine's Day!! Probably because its around my birthday and I love all the pink and the hearts!!

So glad you had a great engagement anniversary!!!

Perfect dishcloths!!

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, your little hearts are so sweet. I hope that your day is everything you wished for. Happy Valentine's Day!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Happy Valentines! And congrats on your engagement anniversary.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Meg Wesley said...

Awww. Those hearts are so sweet. You are nicer than I am today but I suppose that is because I am separated from my love right now. Oh well.

Hope you had a wonderful day on your engagement anniversary. So sweet.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I'm like you. I like re-living V-day through my kids! I didn't even buy a card this year, and yet I found a dozen yellow roses (my absolute favorite) on the table Friday night, before our guests arrived. They were gorgeous. I also got a seat for the canoe - or more of a back rest. I'm so spoiled! :)

5:45 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Love the knit hearts ~ can't wait to hear more!

11:36 AM  
Blogger knittingma said...

Yay for V-Day! Hope you had a great one. :)

9:38 PM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

Those hearts are sweet! I found myself thinking back nostalgically about school day Valentines, myself.

I often think it's a funny twist of fate that I ended up with an entirely un-romantic man, when I always thought myself a huge romantic. In truth, the best romance is the practical sort.

Now I'm going to have to see Gran Torino -- everyone is raving about it!

10:58 PM  
Blogger bockstark.knits said...

gah, you sound just like me. V-day was very relaxing - we did absolutely NOTHING!!! :)

2:03 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Oh, that card from '79 is so, so sweet. How wonderful that you saved it.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

OMG! That old Valentines is wonderful. Lucky you to have such a memento. And those garter stitch hearts are cutie.

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you had a lovely valentine's! :) Tienniea

2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home